Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following all the cheating at North Carolina?

Re: Anyone following all the cheating at North Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Davis;
    If any of you are here for an education, they should have gone to Harvard.
    http://media.102jamz.com/audio-embed...714&height=350
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tommy Amaker probably tells his basketball players that if they wanted to get an education they should have gone to Princeton.

But if Butch Davis really said that, he's a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Tommy Amaker probably tells his basketball players that if they wanted to get an education they should have gone to Princeton.

But if Butch Davis really said that, he's a POS.
    Following him while he was at the U I already knew he was a pos.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Not a Carolina fan but every school has a BS academic program. UNC just got caught.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyField View Post
    Not a Carolina fan but every school has a BS academic program. UNC just got caught.

To a degree, I can agree with that. But there are schools out there where the head coach wants to see the kids get an education and the right way.......by earning it and it takes priority over what sport they might be playing. Yes, Carolina got caught.

Now it looks like UNC has been getting players to enroll as grad students to keep them eligible.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...artner=ya5nbcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

WMR (03-02-2015)

Five severe violations plus the dreaded lack of institutional control.

Whatever the punishment, I'm sure it won't be enough and will be characterized as a death sentence by the Worldwide Leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Five severe violations plus the dreaded lack of institutional control.

Whatever the punishment, I'm sure it won't be enough and will be characterized as a death sentence by the Worldwide Leader.
    Poor Davidson is going to get hammered!

In all reality the two title banners should be taken down, Williams should be fired ASAP, Butch Davis should have a show clause put on him until he is 100, and the rest of the AD should be cleaned out.

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-05-2015),Chip R (06-05-2015),Hoosier Red (06-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

In all reality the two title banners should be taken down, Williams should be fired ASAP, Butch Davis should have a show clause put on him until he is 100, and the rest of the AD should be cleaned out.
    Kinda funny isnt it? Your beloved Bucks gets hammered over tatoos and my beloved Hoosiers get hammered over improper phone calls. All the while UNC has athletes passing phantom classes. Where is the justice?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Kinda funny isnt it? Your beloved Bucks gets hammered over tatoos and my beloved Hoosiers get hammered over improper phone calls. All the while UNC has athletes passing phantom classes. Where is the justice?
    I am still a pretty ardent fan of Tressel. In hindsight I think everything worked out in the best way possible. Tressel's downfall wasn't the tattoo's, it was the lying and withholding information. Whether or not it is rational I still think that Pryor was to Tressel that Art Schlichter was to Woody Hayes, they changed their standards for these guys and it inevitably brought them down. I didn't really follow IU's case, from an outsider's point of view I thought Sampson was an idiot, not in getting caught with phone calls, but the continued usage of cell phone calls after he had been caught.

All that said, UNC ran sham classes, enrolled their best athletes in sham classes. They should get the hammer and I find it unbelievable that a coach doesn't know when his players are taking sham classes.

I am still a pretty ardent fan of Tressel. In hindsight I think everything worked out in the best way possible. Tressel's downfall wasn't the tattoo's, it was the lying and withholding information. Whether or not it is rational I still think that Pryor was to Tressel that Art Schlichter was to Woody Hayes, they changed their standards for these guys and it inevitably brought them down. I didn't really follow IU's case, from an outsider's point of view I thought Sampson was an idiot, not in getting caught with phone calls, but the continued usage of cell phone calls after he had been caught.

All that said, UNC ran sham classes, enrolled their best athletes in sham classes. They should get the hammer and I find it unbelievable that a coach doesn't know when his players are taking sham classes.
    Tattoos, improper phone call, athletes taking sham classes...........hmmmmmmmmm.

16. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-05-2015)

Funny! While there's a lot of truth to this, remember that the NCAA has hammered Most Favored Programs in the recent past: IU, Kentucky, UCONN, Syracuse, tOSU in football.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Funny! While there's a lot of truth to this, remember that the NCAA has hammered Most Favored Programs in the recent past: IU, Kentucky, UCONN, Syracuse, tOSU in football.
    Actually I'd take issue with the idea that IU was hammered. Kelvin Sampson's punishment was fairly severe, 5 year show cause.
    But IU's biggest punishment was essentially self inflicted, just about everyone was thrown off the team and/or left when so many others were being thrown off.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...mpson/7225617/
    The Hoosiers received three years' probation and no further punishments beyond those previously self-imposed and already served or being served.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    IU got hammered that is for sure, however I tend to believe that had more to do with Sampson's stupidity than anything else. Also I think that Crean went about a curious rebuilding process. UK was hammered before College Basketball was as big of business as it is now. Syracuse got off easy, real easy, if you ask me. I wouldn't really consider UCONN a Most Favored Program when no big conference wanted them during conference realignment. They did hit OSU, but I don't know how hard. They pretty much were sidelined for two seasons, one when they were bad and one on probation.

But a bigger question is, does the NCAA need your Most Favorite Programs anymore? Basketball has survived with UCLA being a down for a long period of time now, it has survived with IU being a doormat for 5 years. College Football has survived with ND being down and UM being terrible for the better half of this decade. The structure is set up for success regardless of which power program is up or down. Lets say that the NCAA decides Roy Williams must go, the team will lose scholarships over a couple of years, and has a one to two season postseason ban, will that hurt CBB? It will hurt UNC, probably help out Duke and NC State as well as other power programs getting recruits who would go to UNC. But at the end of the day CBB is going to be as strong as it was last season.

Turn Off Ads?