Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/17

Birthdays: 7/17

Reds:

Deron Johnson -A pure hitter without a real defensive position...Remembered for his great 1965 season with the Reds: .287, 32 homers, 130 RBIs...Pete Rose once said "I never saw anyone hit a ball harder than Deron Johnson".

Jerry Lynch -Regrettably, we just lost Jerry a few months ago...Everyone remembers his great 1961 season as a pinch-hitter, but he was far from a one-year wonder; in fact, the only year he got to bat more than 400 times he hit .312.

Roy McMillan -Won the first three Gold Gloves awarded in the National League...Although he was primarily a glove man, he was the first shortstop to have five hits and two homers in a game. Four others have done it since, including Barry Larkin.

Others:

Don Kessinger (70) -Linked with Glenn Beckert as a long-time DP combo for the Cubs...A star basketball player in college, he was named to the All-Decade team for the SEC in the '60s, along with such players as Pete Maravich and Dan Issel...He was, to date, the last player-manager in the American League, with the '79 White Sox.

Lou Boudreau -Holds a record with doubles in four consecutive ABs...A player-manager at age 25...Invented the infield shift; he used it against Ted Williams...Later a long-time broadcaster, although he came down from the booth to manage the Cubs in 1960...Father-in-law of Denny McLain.

Hugh Daily -19th-century pitcher known as "One-Arm" Daily. He actually had two arms, but was missing a hand, similar to Jim Abbott. He protected the stump with a leather harness that he also used to catch batted balls...He was a star and a gate attraction, but no team ever invited him back for a second year. The reason might have something to do with this: although almost nothing is known about his personal life, one fact that every source mentions is that he was a mean. contentious, nasty man who was always about two seconds away from a fight with umpires, fans, opposing players and even teammates.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 7/17

Well, the grand experiment is just about over...there are only 3 more 'Birthday' entries and we will have gone thru chico's gems one-by-one twice.

I just felt that all of the time and effort that he put in deserved more than one exposure. A few more readers were added this time thru, I think. Not nearly enough to suit me, but a few anyway.

4. Likes:

Big Klu (07-18-2013),Boss-Hog (07-19-2013)

Re: Birthdays: 7/17

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Well, the grand experiment is just about over...there are only 3 more 'Birthday' entries and we will have gone thru chico's gems one-by-one twice.

I just felt that all of the time and effort that he put in deserved more than one exposure. A few more readers were added this time thru, I think. Not nearly enough to suit me, but a few anyway.
    It's been fun to read, but I enjoy baseball history. Thanks to Chico for all his work, and to Bob for keeping it alive!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (07-18-2013),mth123 (07-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?