Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Cocaine Era

Re: The Cocaine Era

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm going to listen to Casey Jones by the Greatful Dead in honor of this thread.
    Or just grab Sticky Fingers and spin the whole album

“When the wind blows and the rain feels cold with a head full of snow, with a head full of snow”

2. Likes:

New York Red (07-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Let's do our homework:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5620/index.htm

Cocaine arrived in my life with my first-round draft into the National Football League in 1974. It has dominated my life, one way or another, almost every minute since. Eventually, it took control and almost killed me. It may yet. Cocaine can be found in quantity throughout the NFL. It's pushed on players, often from the edge of the practice field. Sometimes it's pushed by players. Prominent players. Just as it controlled me, it now controls and corrupts the game, because so many players are on it. To ignore this fact is to be shortsighted and stupid. To turn away from it the way the NFL does—the way the NFL turned its back on me when I cried for help two years ago—is a crime...
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2119/index.htm

The following major-leaguers have been convicted of possession or treated for use of hard drugs within the last five years:

Spring, 1980—Kansas City catcher Darrell Porter (drugs and alcohol) treated at The Meadows, a clinic in Wickenberg, Ariz.

Summer, 1980—Texas pitcher Ferguson Jenkins arrested in Toronto for possession of marijuana, cocaine and hashish. Convicted, but record cleared because of his community service. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn suspended him for season, but an arbitrator reinstated him.

Summer, 1982—San Diego outfielder Alan Wiggins arrested for possession of cocaine. Charges dropped when he completed rehabilitation at California's Orange County CareUnit. Suspended 30 days without pay by Kuhn.

Summer, 1982—San Diego second baseman Juan Bonilla treated at CareUnit.

Fall, 1982—Montreal outfielder Tim Raines treated at CareUnit.

Winter, 1983—Los Angeles outfielder Ken Landreaux treated at The Meadows for "chemical dependency," reportedly cocaine.

Winter, 1983—Los Angeles reliever Steve Howe disclosed he had been treated at The Meadows. During 1983 season, treated twice more at CareUnit, suspended three times by Dodgers, fined $53,867, placed on three years' probation and suspended one year by Kuhn. Currently awaiting grievance hearing.

Summer, 1983—Cardinal outfielder Lonnie Smith treated at the Hyland Center for Drug and Alcohol Abuse in St. Louis.

Fall, 1983—Atlanta reliever Steve Bedrosian and outfielder Claudell Washington admitted cocaine dependency. Washington treated at Merritt Peralta Institute, Oakland. Bedrosian received counseling.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2117/index.htm

At 6 a.m. on April 7, Pirate reliever Don Robinson was awakened by a knock on the door of his room in the Los Angeles Biltmore. When he answered it, he saw his best friend standing there. Rod Scurry looked at Robinson and said, "I need help."

Six weeks and a stay in Aliquippa, Pa.'s Gateway Rehabilitation Center later, the mask that hid Scurry's five-year addiction to cocaine is gone. The 28-year-old Pirate lefthander had pitched around his dependency for a long time—in 1982, he was one of the best southpaw relievers in the National League (1.74 ERA and 14 saves in 76 games)—but last season (5.56, seven, 61) it caught up with him. Scurry's face still has a hard edge to it, but the windows to his newly cleansed soul are again a soft, clear green. "Cocaine started making my body feel so good, I got to where I depended on it," he says. "I didn't want coke, but my body did."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9478/index.htm

Ueberroth says that his drug plan was months in the making but that the timing of its announcement was affected, in part, by two developments: the Alan Wiggins case and a continuing grand jury investigation in Pittsburgh involving ballplayers (see box). Wiggins, the San Diego Padres' second baseman, who had done a TV spot for Major League Baseball Productions warning youngsters about the danger of drugs, was suspended for the season by the Padres following a relapse into cocaine dependency. Wiggins, who hit .258 and stole 70 bases for the National League champs last year, was batting .054 with no stolen bases at the time of his brief disappearance. If the Padres should narrowly lose their division, fans will be able to point to games Wiggins might have cost the team early in the year as a factor. That's the sort of link between drug use and on-field results that Ueberroth wants to eliminate.

Then there's Claudell Washington of the Braves, an admitted onetime drug user who was arrested this February for marijuana possession and is awaiting trial...and California's Daryl Sconiers, who dropped out of sight and was treated for substance abuse...and Mike Norris of Oakland, in trouble again after being arrested and charged with driving under the influence for the second time this year.

There is no question that drug use is pervasive in baseball. As if the many players who have admitted drug use in the Pittsburgh case weren't enough. The Milwaukee Sentinel reported last week on a three-year-old investigation in which, the paper said, at least 10 American League players, seven of them still active, were named as having been drug customers. No matter that many young men with high incomes in other fields also use cocaine. The fact is that a significant number of big league players have been implicated, and one can only guess at the number who use coke but haven't been caught.

5. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-17-2013),RedEye (07-17-2013)

Dave Stewart regularly snorted cocaine in the bulloen during games. Didnt have near as many cameras back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Never felt disoriented, quite opposite. I wasn't a very good hitter, but those few games felt like I was watching a beach ball come in and just tee'd off on it.
    From this perspective it does sound like coke could be a PED.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    From this perspective it does sound like coke could be a PED.
    For a very limited time, until addiction sets in and cocaine starts destroying the mind and body. I have never heard a recovering coke addict say "if I started doing coke again I would be better at... (life or my job or anything)."
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Lay your cool cool hand on my head".

The trouble with coke is that its just a little too much fun. And then you find yourself selling blood. So don't start, kids. The crash is pretty bad.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-18-2013),westofyou (07-18-2013)

Strangely enough, Robinson, who was known for helping Scurry and I don't believe was ever linked to drugs himself, owned a bar in Huntington, WV, called 'Robbies' that was named in the investigation as a place where players would come to buy cocaine. Always seemed a bit out of the way to me. Some time later, in the early nineties, I worked nights in an office next door to the bar. Police began raiding the bar frequently, forcing everyone outside, then arresting them for public intoxication. Word was that they wanted to close the place down, and soon, the bar went out of business.

This is all from memory, so some may not be as accurate as I think.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    "Lay your cool cool hand on my head".

The trouble with coke is that its just a little too much fun. And then you find yourself selling blood. So don't start, kids. The crash is pretty bad.
    I label it in my "Selfish Drug" category, it does not foster positivist experiences for the user nor the folks they interact with.

I label it in my "Selfish Drug" category, it does not foster positivist experiences for the user nor the folks they interact with.
    Interesting. What are your other categories?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Interesting. What are your other categories?
    Psychedelics, opiates, alcohol, all trigger different behaviors... I'll just leave it at that. Cocaine is an inward looking drug that makes people act outwardly to others in negative ways to achieve a euphoria that is brief and self involved.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Never felt disoriented, quite opposite. I wasn't a very good hitter, but those few games felt like I was watching a beach ball come in and just tee'd off on it.
    That's how I felt playing ping pong after snorting coke. I won two intramural championships, because I was pretty good. Not sure how much credit the coke gets though, as several of my opponents were doing it too. It was that common in the 80's. A lot of MLB players were busted for it, but I always assumed there was a much higher number who were doing and didn't get busted.

One of the greatest albums (and album covers) ever. Isn't 'Sister Morphine" on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    One of the greatest albums (and album covers) ever. Isn't 'Sister Morphine" on that one?
    Funny you should mention the cover (and yes SM is on that album)

Turn Off Ads?