Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cocaine Era

Re: The Cocaine Era

Wiki says he got it as a rookie due to his physique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Likes:

RedEye (07-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wiki says he got it as a rookie due to his physique.
    What can I say, it made for a good punchline...

http://jonahkeri.com/2010/01/06/on-t...es-and-fandom/

The media long ago took hold of the idea that Raines was nicknamed Rock because he supposedly kept a vial of rock cocaine in his back pocket while playing, to the point that he would always slide head first while trying to steal. But that wasn’t the original impetus behind the nickname. Just so you know.

5. Likes:

RedEye (07-16-2013)

You can't compare snorting cocaine to using PEDs. I snorted coke during college, but not heavily and on rare occasions. It was very common during that period. I did so for a couple years, until Lenny Bias died of a cocaine overdose in 1986. I loved him and never did drugs again after his passing. But my point is, while I was a gifted baseball, football and basketball player on the high school level, there's no way cocaine could have in any way improved my performance on the field, court, etc. Steroids and PEDs, on the other hand, obviously do.

7. Likes:

traderumor (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You can't compare snorting cocaine to using PEDs. I snorted coke during college, but not heavily and on rare occasions. It was very common during that period. I did so for a couple years, until Lenny Bias died of a cocaine overdose in 1986. I loved him and never did drugs again after his passing. But my point is, while I was a gifted baseball, football and basketball player on the high school level, there's no way cocaine could have in any way improved my performance on the field, court, etc. Steroids and PEDs, on the other hand, obviously do.
    Understood. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that coke gives you a temporary sense of invincibility. That might be why players like Raines liked to snort it during games. Not that it would actually help them physically, but that it would make them feel like they could do anything and everything on the field. If confidence is part of performance (and I think most would agree that it is) than you'd have to say that cocaine could "enhance" a player's performance in some way, right? Not like steroids, obviously, but in some manner?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

10. Likes:

coachpipe (07-17-2013),Razor Shines (07-17-2013),RedEye (07-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I knew it was a matter of time for that one. Classic.

12. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Understood. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that coke gives you a temporary sense of invincibility. That might be why players like Raines liked to snort it during games. Not that it would actually help them physically, but that it would make them feel like they could do anything and everything on the field. If confidence is part of performance (and I think most would agree that it is) than you'd have to say that cocaine could "enhance" a player's performance in some way, right? Not like steroids, obviously, but in some manner?
    Temporary is right. I was pretty good playing ping pong back then, and when I was snorting coke I couldn't be touched. But the more challenging sports I excelled at pre-college, like baseball, football and basketball, I can't even imagine playing above the intramural level after snorting coke.

14. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013)

Even the Pirate Parrot was doing and dealing the nose candy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...irates-261613/
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

16. Likes:

New York Red (07-17-2013),RedEye (07-17-2013),reds44 (07-17-2013)

That 1986 Mets team was "loaded" in more ways than one. Hernandez, Gooden, Strawberry, Dykstra, Mitchell, Wally Backman, etc...

I went down a wikipedia rabbit hole that involved the following items:
    A decapitated cat, starting riots in Tampa, lots of Kirk Radomski references, choosing prison over probation, everything about Lenny Dykstra, police women posing as ladies of the night, etc...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

18. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Even the Pirate Parrot was doing and dealing the nose candy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...irates-261613/
    The book was pretty good, I read it when it came out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1569762880

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    That 1986 Mets team was "loaded" in more ways than one. Hernandez, Gooden, Strawberry, Dykstra, Mitchell, Wally Backman, etc...

I went down a wikipedia rabbit hole that involved the following items:
    A decapitated cat, starting riots in Tampa, lots of Kirk Radomski references, choosing prison over probation, everything about Lenny Dykstra, police women posing as ladies of the night, etc...

Drug use cost Gooden and Strawberry HOF careers. Just a real shame for them. May have cost Dave Parker too. I don't remember much about all of that now. I think I just kinda shut off that part when it was happening and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. No Internet back then and ESPN was as influential either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I had forgotten all about this until this thread. I never liked any of those players again after that trial (although I had to make an exception for Parkway). I bet drug use among players in 70s >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 80s.
    Amphetamines were the drugs of the 70's and probably 60's too. There were some instances of harder drug use like Dock Ellis on LSD but I don't think hard drugs like cocaine was as popular as cocaine became in the 80's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Also from Wikipedia, here are the players who testified in the trial and were suspended for a season:

Joaquín Andújar
    Dale Berra
    Enos Cabell
    Keith Hernandez
    Jeffrey Leonard
    Dave Parker
    Lonnie Smith

These players were suspended for 60 games:

Al Holland
    Lee Lacy
    Lary Sorensen
    Claudell Washington
    I do not recall Parker or Hernandez or anyone else being suspended for the season. ???
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I still insist the Cocaine Era started on December 9, 1965 with the trading of Frank Robinson to the Orioles. What other explanation can there possibly be?

24. Likes:

New York Red (07-17-2013),Old school 1983 (07-17-2013),RichRed (07-17-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I still insist the Cocaine Era started on December 9, 1965 with the trading of Frank Robinson to the Orioles. What other explanation can there possibly be?
    We're talking about use among players, not general managers.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

26. Likes:

Always Red (07-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?