Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cocaine Era

Re: The Cocaine Era

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I do not recall Parker or Hernandez or anyone else being suspended for the season. ???
    I just read on WIKI they were allowed to play under the agreement that they donate 10% of their salary to a charity or something like that,serve 100 hours community service and submit to regular drug testing.
    I was like you I didn't remember anyone setting out a year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hadn't seen mention of Willie Wilson's name, so I went looking. I was a young teen at that time and remember vaguely him being part of that scandal. This is what I found:

After the end of the 1983 season, Wilson found himself in a drug scandal along with teammates Willie Aikens, Vida Blue, and Jerry Martin. All four pleaded guilty to misdemeanor drug charges (attempting to purchase cocaine) on November 17.[2] They became the first active major leaguers to serve jail time,[citation needed] serving 81 days at the Fort Worth, Texas, Federal Correctional Institution. He was suspended by commissioner Bowie Kuhn for the entire 1984 season, but the suspension was reduced on appeal and he was able to return on May 15.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

We are onto the third page and no mention of Steve Howe?

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/02/the...ve-howe-63877/
    Howe was arrested six days before Christmas at his home in Montana for cocaine possession, a felony charge. He was arraigned and released, and the Yankees stood by their troubled southpaw.
    Federal prosecutors later amended the charge to attempted possession of a dangerous drug, a misdemeanor. The team invited him to a January promotion event at the Javits Center, which was followed by a not guilty plea in February. A few days later Howe struck a light pole with his car and fled the scene, resulting in a $125 fine. His trial was postponed from March 30th to May 5th, and a few days prior to the trial the two sides struck a plea deal. As part of the deal, he pleaded guilty to the attempted possession charge.
    While all that was going on, Howe was pitching for the Yankees, and rather effectively as well. He allowed just six earned runs in his first 20 appearances (22 innings), saving six games in seven chances. He wouldn’t appear in another game all season. On June 8th, Vincent banned Howe from baseball for life as a result of the guilty plea. The union filed a grievance claiming the suspension was “without just cause within the meaning of the basic agreement and arbitration panels’ decisions in the area of disciplinary suspensions.”
    The grievance went to arbitration in November, which resulted in Howe’s reinstatement. The Yankees brought him back for the 1993 season, and as part of the terms of his reinstatement, he was drug tested every other day. Howe missed time with an ankle injury that season, but otherwise stayed out of trouble. He threw 50.2 innings across 51 appearances, though his ERA was unsightly 4.97. He returned to the Bronx in 1994, missed some time with a groin injury, and pitched to a 1.80 ERA in 40 innings. He’d saved 15 games in 19 chances before the work stoppage. As a reward, the Yankees exercised their $2.3M club option and kept him for 1995.
    Howe, now 37, was required to maintain “legitimate employment in a structured environment” per the terms of his probation stemming from the 1992 drug charge, so the Yankees put him to work in the ticket office during the strike in early-1995. He earned a $772 a week living allowance.

Here is a SI article from 1985 about Cocaine in baseball.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9478/index.htm

The announcement was calculated, dramatic and instantly controversial. Henceforth, said commissioner Peter Ueberroth, random drug urinalysis will be administered to virtually all baseball personnel, with the notable exception of major league players. Owners, clubhouse attendants, bat boys, secretaries and more than 3,000 minor league players would be tested. Big-leaguers would be excluded for now because mandatory drug testing for them can be implemented only with the consent of the Major League Baseball Players Association. But Ueberroth was counting on public opinion to help persuade players to submit to such testing, and his efforts to whip up support took on the appearance of a holy crusade against illicit drugs.

"Somebody has to say, 'Enough is enough,' against drugs," Ueberroth said in a commencement address at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles last Saturday, four days after revealing his plan. "Baseball's going to accomplish this. It's a little tiny segment of society. We're going to remove drugs and be an example."

In a speech that brought cheering students to their feet, Ueberroth, who received the school's honorary Doctor of Public Service degree, said he was concerned with 1) "the health of the very few people in baseball that have problems," 2) the reputations of players who serve as idols to young people and 3) the danger that gamblers could use players hooked on drugs to fix games.
    Last edited by klw; 07-17-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I do not recall Parker or Hernandez or anyone else being suspended for the season. ???
    Hey, my source was Wikipedia, so you never know!
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, I could probably name 20 if pressed on a bar trivia night, too. But did you ever hear of the "Pittsburgh drug trials"? Bud was talking about them as if they were common knowledge.
    Chuck Tanner the players manager

Hell yeah it was huge

7. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013)

Understood. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that coke gives you a temporary sense of invincibility. That might be why players like Raines liked to snort it during games. Not that it would actually help them physically, but that it would make them feel like they could do anything and everything on the field. If confidence is part of performance (and I think most would agree that it is) than you'd have to say that cocaine could "enhance" a player's performance in some way, right? Not like steroids, obviously, but in some manner?
    I did it a few times in college before games and felt a higher level of focus, intensity. I also felt like by heart would explode at some point, so stopped after a few times.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

9. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Even the Pirate Parrot was doing and dealing the nose candy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...irates-261613/
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

11. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    And we get appearance #2 of this video...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I did it a few times in college before games and felt a higher level of focus, intensity. I also felt like by heart would explode at some point, so stopped after a few times.
    That's what I thought. I can't imagine players would use at game time if the drug only made them disoriented. That heart explosion thing is a definite drawback though...

Never felt disoriented, quite opposite. I wasn't a very good hitter, but those few games felt like I was watching a beach ball come in and just tee'd off on it.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

15. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013)

And we get appearance #2 of this video...
    Apparently I missed it and made a mistake. Nonetheless, your snarky response is greatly appreciated.

Apparently I missed it and made a mistake. Nonetheless, your snarky response is greatly appreciated.
    It would of helped if I wasn't an idiot and knew how to post youtube videos on here isntead of just links.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It would of helped if I wasn't an idiot and knew how to post youtube videos on here isntead of just links.
    I guess we'll both have to hang our heads in shame today. BTW, use the following tags to imbed a youtube video [yt] and [//yt] (only use one forward slash).

I'm going to listen to Casey Jones by the Greatful Dead in honor of this thread.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

20. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013), Roy Tucker (07-18-2013)

I didn't mean to be snarky... I love that video! Post it as many times as you like!

22. Likes:

wolfboy (07-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?