Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/16

Birthdays: 7/16

Reds:

Terry Pendleton (52) -A Red in '97 (all today's Reds were with the team only briefly at the end of their career)...Played in 5 World Series; his team lost all five...His 1985 Donruss baseball card has his name wrong, listing him as "Jeff" Pendleton.

Larry Jansen -1956 was his Reds year...Won exactly 122 games in the majors and 122 games in the minors...The winning pitcher in the "Shot Heard 'Round The World" game...Later wrote a highly-regarded book on pitching.

Doc Prothro -Backup IF for the '26 Reds...Got the nickname "Doc" the old-fashioned way; he was a dentist before his playing career...Later managed the Phillies for three years, compiling the worst winning percentage (.301) of anyone who managed for at least three seasons...His son Tommy was a highly successful football coach with Oregon State, UCLA and the Los Angeles Rams.

Others:

Lee Elia (75) -Known less for his short playing career than for his managing tenure, which featured a famous 1983 obscenity-laced tirade against Cubs fans. You've probably heard it, or at least read a transcript. I was at Wrigley Field on Saturday, and I have to agree with Lee: It IS a ********ing playground for the **********ers...

Eddie Fisher (76) -Knuckleballer who often pitched out of the same bullpen as Hoyt Wilhelm...Although he was a career .122 hitter, he had a three-hit game in his career...We have two guys on today's list, Fisher and Jackson, who share a name with a famous singer. Wonder how many others there are: Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison...I bet there are more.

Shoeless Joe Jackson -I always assumed that he got his name from being too poor to own shoes, but it actually came from an incident in a minor league game when his spikes were rubbing him raw, and he took them off and hit a triple in his socks...His part in the 1919 World Series fix is increasingly unclear to me; I need to read more about it.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 7/16

Happy Birthday, Lee Elia! I have his tirade saved as a favorite on my Droid. A true work of art!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Happy Birthday, Lee Elia! I have his tirade saved as a favorite on my Droid. A true work of art!
    Wow. I have no clue how I managed to miss out on THAT beauty. Good lord.

5. Likes:

Big Klu (07-16-2013)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Eddie Fisher We have two guys on today's list, Fisher and Jackson, who share a name with a famous singer. Wonder how many others there are: Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison...I bet there are more.
    How about Billy Williams, the singer who had 'I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter (Oh Yeah!)' in the late 50s? I know, I know, RedsZoners of today never heard of him. I'm hoping they've heard of the Cubs outfielder though.

Elia's tirade is on Youtube, if anyone is curious. It's fantastic.

"the [expletive deleted] don't even work. That's why they're at the game"

8. Likes:

Big Klu (07-16-2013)

July 16 is my birthday and I'm a young 72.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post

Happy Birthday youngin'!!!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post
    Hey, Happy Birthday! I will be an-even-younger-than-you 72 on July 24!

Turn Off Ads?