Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

Just saw this note on the C.Trent's blog:

Fox analyst Tim McCarver said Monday that you won’t be seeing any replays of Pete Rose running into Ray Fosse tonight — in fact, on the Dan Patrick Show, McCarver said Major League Baseball restricts Fox from showing video of Rose at all. The same goes for ESPN.
    Bud Selig has gone too far. I think we should all e-mail in and protest. Even if you hate Rose, he was a big part of Reds (and MLB) history. This smacks of censorship.

Bud's contact info:
    The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
    Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
    Address: 245 Park Avenue, 31st FloorCity: New York, State: NY Zip Code: 10167
    Phone: 212-931-7800
    Fax: 212-949-5654
    E-Mail address: allan.selig@mlb.com
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 07-16-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Likes:

joshua (07-16-2013),Redeyecat (07-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB won't let Fox or ESPM show video of Pete Rose

That's ridiculous. To attempt to wipe him from baseball history is above and beyond.

But don't bother trying to email Selig: http://deadspin.com/bud-selig-has-ne...life-788880385

For a Level Playing Field

Re: MLB won't let Fox or ESPM show video of Pete Rose

Punish the hell out of Pete Rose, but DO NOT punish the fans by denying them the history of the game. What's next... take Pete's stats out of the Baseball Encyclopedia/Baseball Reference/Baseball Almanac/etc?!?

But coming from the guy (and his cronies) who decided: to make an exhibition game the factor for home field advantgae in the World Series & to let McGwire/Sosa break a great record while taking PEDS (make no mistake they all knew what was up)... I am not shocked.

6. Likes:

Always Red (07-16-2013),remdog (07-17-2013),TSJ55 (07-16-2013)

Re: MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

If anyone wants to see that play all they have to do is google it and then watch. Not a big deal to me and I'm a Rose,the ballplayer,fan.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 07-16-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He's banned from baseball. Why does this surprise anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'm not surprised...that makes it no less ridiculous. Good point about the PED poster boys as well.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Taking steroids doesn't get you banned from the sport. Betting on the sport while being involved in it does.

Apples to oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-16-2013),dougdirt (07-16-2013)

If I had my druthers I would rather see MLB shut off McCarvers audio off during a broadcast.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

Always Red (07-16-2013),LexRedsFan (07-16-2013),New York Red (07-16-2013),Red in Chicago (07-16-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-16-2013),remdog (07-17-2013),TOBTTReds (07-16-2013)

Pete Rose never existed.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

Always Red (07-16-2013),mbgrayson (07-16-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-17-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-16-2013),reds1869 (07-16-2013),remdog (07-17-2013),Roy Tucker (07-16-2013),terminator (07-16-2013),Tom Servo (07-16-2013),westofyou (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Taking steroids doesn't get you banned from the sport. Betting on the sport while being involved in it does.

Apples to oranges.
    Truth, but I fail to see how Pete did more damage to the game than PEDs. Bottom line is the "bottom line".

Players taking steroids at the time benefited baseball and brought it back into the spotlight. So pretending they didn't know was the thing to do financially.

Now, the thing to do is U-turn and pretend you really care and attempt ban today's juicers because they no longer serve your purpose.

Hypocrisy much?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

17. Likes:

joshua (07-16-2013)

The ban should involve Rose not being able to participate in MLB stuff...not pretending he never existed. I'm sure they're allowed to mention the Black Sox, and throwing a World Series is a thousand times more devastating than anything Pete did.

19. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-16-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-16-2013),remdog (07-17-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Truth, but I fail to see how Pete did more damage to the game than PEDs. Bottom line is the "bottom line".

Players taking steroids at the time benefited baseball and brought it back into the spotlight. So pretending they didn't know was the thing to do financially.

Now, the thing to do is U-turn and pretend you really care and attempt ban today's juicers because they no longer serve your purpose.

Hypocrisy much?
    Gambling almost ended the sport once upon a time. Yes, it wasn't at Pete's time, but the game took a very hard and firm stance when it came to gambling long before Pete ever put on an MLB uniform. He knew the rules. He pays the price.

As for MLB's stance on this: Good.

21. Likes:

gilpdawg (07-17-2013),reds44 (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Gambling almost ended the sport once upon a time. Yes, it wasn't at Pete's time, but the game took a very hard and firm stance when it came to gambling long before Pete ever put on an MLB uniform. He knew the rules. He pays the price.

Being banned from baseball is the appropriate punishment. Not allowing FOX or ESPN to use footage of Rose goes too far. That's an attempt to wipe Rose from history.

23. Likes:

Always Red (07-16-2013),AtomicDumpling (07-16-2013),Brutus (07-16-2013),foxfire123 (07-16-2013),Joseph (07-17-2013),joshua (07-17-2013),Larkin Fan (07-16-2013),mbgrayson (07-16-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-17-2013),Redeyecat (07-16-2013),remdog (07-17-2013),Roy Tucker (07-16-2013),The Operator (07-16-2013),TSJ55 (07-16-2013),UKFlounder (07-16-2013)

Agree 100%. Pete made his own bed.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Also something I'm not denying.

Why is this, the actual act, not been completely erased and still allowed to be mentioned then? Because Pete is an easy whipping boy, that's why. The powers that be get to continue beating him down in hopes of convincing people they are altruistic.

They aren't tricking me.

26. Likes:

remdog (07-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?