Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think Waldrop leads the Reds minors in total bases and is second in HR's. He's a big 6-3 190 lb lefty, will likely fill out and cement the power he has. His OPS is .800 the last 90 days. I don't know, I think he has some great upside. The BABIP in July doesn't bother me, that's what hot streaks are make of and could have just as likely been some positive correction in his season.

Who are the three pitchers ahead of Cisco in Dayton for you? Travieso and? What is his fastball velo at?

For now, I have Travieso in the project file with Reyenoso and Rosa, etc. I never like ranking those players as highly as the rest due to my own unfamiliarity with them and the lack of results.
    Waldrop is in the California League in one of the most hitter friendly ballparks in all of baseball and has had an OPS over .775 in one month with poor plate discipline and he is a corner outfielder. Be wary of guys who don't hit in the Cal League.

Without question I would rank Travieso, Garrett and Romano ahead of Cisco. The stuff is just better without thinking much about it. I would also contemplate Jackson Stephens ahead of him too. Better FB, breaking ball has a chance to be pretty good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Waldrop is in the California League in one of the most hitter friendly ballparks in all of baseball and has had an OPS over .775 in one month with poor plate discipline and he is a corner outfielder. Be wary of guys who don't hit in the Cal League.

Without question I would rank Travieso, Garrett and Romano ahead of Cisco. The stuff is just better without thinking much about it. I would also contemplate Jackson Stephens ahead of him too. Better FB, breaking ball has a chance to be pretty good.
    Waldrop still has that raw power though, maybe the best on the farm, and some time to work out plate discipline stuff.

Roger that on the other Dayton pitchers, but control is a thing I like to put a premium on.

Waldrop still has that raw power though, maybe the best on the farm, and some time to work out plate discipline stuff.

Roger that on the other Dayton pitchers, but control is a thing I like to put a premium on.
    Waldrop has good raw power, but it isn't in the "best on the farm" discussion.

I am a fan of Cisco. The control really is good. But his stuff is fringy and when he misses, even a little bit, guys can and do hit it. It will be interesting to see his progression as he moves up. I believe he will need to add some more stuff to his game plan to succeed at the higher levels. What that will be though, I don't know. Maybe a cutter to mix in.

With comparison to the other guys, I don't see any of them having real control problems, Garrett is the worst of the bunch, but he can throw strikes most of the time. So while Cisco gets credit for his outstanding control, the other guys I mentioned aren't dinged for their control in my mind.

A surprised the Reds have been so patient with Greene and Lamarre when they haven't been with someone like Vidal.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

thorn

Maybe the thing we should consider with Waldrop is how he's performing against his peers in the CA league. Despite the short dimensions, Sam Lynn stadium is not the most HR friendly stadium in the CA league. However, both CA league and Pioneer league are 2 of the top 3 in runs as a whole.

Waldrop has good raw power, but it isn't in the "best on the farm" discussion.

I am a fan of Cisco. The control really is good. But his stuff is fringy and when he misses, even a little bit, guys can and do hit it. It will be interesting to see his progression as he moves up. I believe he will need to add some more stuff to his game plan to succeed at the higher levels. What that will be though, I don't know. Maybe a cutter to mix in.

With comparison to the other guys, I don't see any of them having real control problems, Garrett is the worst of the bunch, but he can throw strikes most of the time. So while Cisco gets credit for his outstanding control, the other guys I mentioned aren't dinged for their control in my mind.
    OK, what is your raw power top 5?

I don't anything about Jackson Stephens, but he sounds intriguing.

For me, Garrett has the stuff, but from a development standpoint I want to see where this goes. He's a long term guy to me.

You've made me reconsider some things, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Maybe the thing we should consider with Waldrop is how he's performing against his peers in the CA league. Despite the short dimensions, Sam Lynn stadium is not the most HR friendly stadium in the CA league. However, both CA league and Pioneer league are 2 of the top 3 in runs as a whole.
    It isn't the most HR friendly in the league, but the entire league is HR friendly compared to the rest of the minors. Routine outs to left-center, center and right-center are home runs there.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Jose Ortiz?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

OK, what is your raw power top 5?
    Duran, Rodriguez, Soto, Lutz (I don't count him as a prospect anymore, but most places will even though he isn't eligible for the 2014 ROY), Mattair, Rosa, Ortiz and maybe a guy like Aquino who I have heard real good things about, but never seen him live (just video clips - about 5 minutes worth of swings from a scout) would probably all be ahead of Waldrop without much question.

Duran, Rodriguez, Soto, Lutz (I don't count him as a prospect anymore, but most places will even though he isn't eligible for the 2014 ROY), Mattair, Rosa, Ortiz and maybe a guy like Aquino who I have heard real good things about, but never seen him live (just video clips - about 5 minutes worth of swings from a scout) would probably all be ahead of Waldrop without much question.
    Wow, he's barely top 10? I don't know, there's also in-game power which not all of your guys are that capable of at this point. Waldrop is also a leader in doubles, which belies the fact he's a product of Bakersfield.

thorn

BTW, found this article from Earlier this year about all the parks in pro ball. Partially based on the numbers from the midwest league, I would personally put Winker right behind Stevenson, and SMB would be in my top 10 as well.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...b&ymd=20130225

Wow, he's barely top 10? I don't know, there's also in-game power which not all of your guys are that capable of at this point. Waldrop is also a leader in doubles, which belies the fact he's a product of Bakersfield.
    In game power certainly is different. That relies on both raw power and actual hitting ability.

Doug
    What has your impression of Amir Garrett been? Have you seen him throw in person yet? Where is his FB sitting during games? How are his other pitches coming along? Are scouts upbeat about his chances?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Doug
    What has your impression of Amir Garrett been? Have you seen him throw in person yet? Where is his FB sitting during games? How are his other pitches coming along? Are scouts upbeat about his chances?
    I have seen him twice in person. I have up nearly five minutes of video of him.

From his first start with Dayton.

From his start on Wednesday just highlight his different pitches

Garrett looked MUCH better Wednesday than in his first start with Dayton. I really liked what I saw flash itself during his most recent start. I have written about him several times at my site, though for full scouting reports it is behind a subscription wall.

Is it my imagination or there something odd about Garrett's motion when he is using a slide step? It is almost like he he sitting on a chair and isn't using his legs fully?

Turn Off Ads?