Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't confuse me saying the stuff is still there with me saying he is a Top 30 prospect. I am just saying don't just write him off as a non-prospect. He isn't a RHP who tops out at 87 MPH. That is all I was really saying.
    Definitely.

Just one of those names we have heard so much of and here we are 6 years later and he's in A ball. I was surprised its been so long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Guys to add to Keep an Eye on List:

Ronald Bueno - Heir to Ronald Torreyes???
    Tim Crabbe - Wondering if a move to the pen provides a JJ Hoover like bump
    Zach Vincenj - 2013 All Star at SS
    Kevin Garcia - Off to a good start with the bat
    Jeff Gelalich - Recent sandwich pick needs more rope. His defense is very good.
    Pedro Diaz - BA had him at 16 this year. He still may get it and is only 20 years old.
    I could see Vincej.

Diaz's numbers (including K numbers) aren't staggering, and he was recently demoted back to Billings after getting the Milton treatment in Dayton. So far in 63.2 IP between the two stops this year, he has a 6.36 ERA, 1.68 WHIP and 4.9 K/9. Sure he's young and has plenty of time to turn things around, but at the moment he'd rank behind Lorenzen, Guillon, Cisco, Romano, Langfield, Garrett, Lively, and even the yet-to-throw-an-inning Armstrong on the pecking order.

Gelalich is a recent high draft pick, but a .329 SLG for a 22 year old in A ball? Yuck.
    One that doesn't play a premium defensive position? Double Yuck.
    He also didn't hit in Billings? Triple Yuck.
    I guess he still has time to turn things around, but nothing other than pure draft status indicates he should be considered a Top 20 or even Top 30 prospect at this point.
    Like another college OF and Top 65 draft pick bust Ryan LaMarre (actually LaMarre and Gelalich were drafted 5 picks apart, albeit in different years), I didn't like it from the moment he was drafted. No clear standout tool or skill, just a "solid, all-around player." At least LaMarre had plus speed.

Plus, small nit, but my "Keep An Eye On" guys are Rookie League only.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-19-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Is there anything to Seth Meijas-Brean's recent hot streak? Is he anything resembling a "real" prospect?
    I would say yes. Excellent athlete at a key position, where he defends well. Plenty of time for the power to develop.

5. Likes:

HokieRed (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I would say yes. Excellent athlete at a key position, where he defends well. Plenty of time for the power to develop.
    First base is a key position?
    Go BLUE!!!

First base is a key position?
    3B, where he played throughout college, all of last year and sometimes in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    3B, where he played throughout college, all of last year and sometimes in 2013.
    You know as well as anyone where a guy played in college is irrelevant.

SMB has played the majority of the time at 1B this year, and is listed exclusively as a 1B on MILB.com. When a guy moves to 1B in A ball, his chances of playing any other infield position in the big leagues is very, very slim.

Granted it's possible that he's only playing 1B because Rahier is *that* good defensively at 3B, but the fact that Rahier is good enough to move SMB off of 3B and is 3 years younger at the same level indicates that he is a better prospect. With Rahier only ranked 17th (at least on my list), there is not all that much room for SMB in the rankings.

All that said as I said before, if he continues to rake (and he did hit a walkoff grand slam last night), he'll find a spot on the rankings by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

SMB is only at first base because the system lost 4 first baseman in A-ball over a span of 1 week. That left them with no first basemen to call up from anywhere, so they called up Rahier to play third in Dayton and shifted SMB to first. Rahier has done enough to stay and it just makes everything easier to keep everyone where they are. SMB is a third baseman and will be in the future. He just isn't playing there now because of how screwy the situation got when so many players at one spot went down within a week and the Reds not wanting to send Rahier back down.

10. Likes:

PepperJack (07-19-2013)

Granted it's possible that he's only playing 1B because Rahier is *that* good defensively at 3B, but the fact that Rahier is good enough to move SMB off of 3B and is 3 years younger at the same level indicates that he is a better prospect. With Rahier only ranked 17th (at least on my list), there is not all that much room for SMB in the rankings.
    SMB moved to 1B when Carlos Sanchez went down. He opened the season at 3B -- ahead of Rahier, who was left in AZ.

I think Rahier has shown some promise this year, but I would not rank him ahead of SMB yet, despite the age gap.

12. Likes:

PepperJack (07-19-2013)

SMB is a really amazing athletic type - how well he hits is all that will keep him back. If he can rake he definitely has the arm and quickness to play third. As Doug noted he is on first because of unusual circumstances, not a knock on him at third. He needs to move pretty quickly, though, given his age and college experience. If he's not at AA by the end of next season and doing okay there then my hopes for him will dim.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    SMB is a really amazing athletic type - how well he hits is all that will keep him back. If he can rake he definitely has the arm and quickness to play third. As Doug noted he is on first because of unusual circumstances, not a knock on him at third. He needs to move pretty quickly, though, given his age and college experience. If he's not at AA by the end of next season and doing okay there then my hopes for him will dim.
    Further evidence: As a high schooler, Mejias-Brean was his region's player of the year as a QB and all-region as a center on the basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You know as well as anyone where a guy played in college is irrelevant.

SMB has played the majority of the time at 1B this year, and is listed exclusively as a 1B on MILB.com. When a guy moves to 1B in A ball, his chances of playing any other infield position in the big leagues is very, very slim.

All that said as I said before, if he continues to rake (and he did hit a walkoff grand slam last night), he'll find a spot on the rankings by the end of the year.
    Exclusive 3rd base now. Was helping out at 1st due to injuries.

Just perusing today and decided on this for a top eleven:

1 Stevenson - duh
    2 Hamilton - will bounce back soon and into next year at AAA
    3 Ervin - gamer, ball player, etc.
    4 Lorenzen - loads of talent
    5 Winker - solid, solid, solid
    6 Barnhardt - hits RHP at near .300/.400/.400 clip with plus defense
    7 Yorman - 4th outfielder floor
    8 Waldrop - big kid, 4th outfielder floor
    9 Cisco - pitcher's pitcher
    10 Arias - similar to Drew Stubbs in my eyes
    11 SMB - wish he'd move up to A+ this year as a token anyway

Don't know where I'd put Travieso at this point. Forgot about him. Maybe 10th and move Arias and SMB down.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Can't say I agree with you at all on Waldrop. People have been pointing out his "steady improvement", but for the Cal League he has really only had one good month, July, and his July was boosted by a .373 BABIP where he had 4 walks and 25 strikeouts. I think people give him a tad too much credit as an athlete too. Don't get me wrong, he isn't unathletic, but I think people lean a bit too much towards the "really athletic" side with him too. Solid prospect, but not a Top 10 guy IMO.

I wouldn't rank Cisco as even the 3rd best pitching prospect on his own team right now and maybe not even the 4th. I think he could be a Major Leaguer, but that team has a lot of good arms right now. No way is he the top on the list from the Dragons or in the top 10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can't say I agree with you at all on Waldrop. People have been pointing out his "steady improvement", but for the Cal League he has really only had one good month, July, and his July was boosted by a .373 BABIP where he had 4 walks and 25 strikeouts. I think people give him a tad too much credit as an athlete too. Don't get me wrong, he isn't unathletic, but I think people lean a bit too much towards the "really athletic" side with him too. Solid prospect, but not a Top 10 guy IMO.

I wouldn't rank Cisco as even the 3rd best pitching prospect on his own team right now and maybe not even the 4th. I think he could be a Major Leaguer, but that team has a lot of good arms right now. No way is he the top on the list from the Dragons or in the top 10 for me.
    I think Waldrop leads the Reds minors in total bases and is second in HR's. He's a big 6-3 190 lb lefty, will likely fill out and cement the power he has. His OPS is .800 the last 90 days. I don't know, I think he has some great upside. The BABIP in July doesn't bother me, that's what hot streaks are make of and could have just as likely been some positive correction in his season.

Who are the three pitchers ahead of Cisco in Dayton for you? Travieso and? What is his fastball velo at?

For now, I have Travieso in the project file with Reyenoso and Rosa, etc. I never like ranking those players as highly as the rest due to my own unfamiliarity with them and the lack of results.

Turn Off Ads?