Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Doug, you think maybe the Reds will throw a little money at Amir to get him to give a BB? Also what do you think his high end is #2 to #5 guy or Bullpen arm.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Doug, you think maybe the Reds will throw a little money at Amir to get him to give a BB? Also what do you think his high end is #2 to #5 guy or Bullpen arm.
    They gave him a million bucks and the deal was a 2-sport deal with more money at the back end than the front end.

He has a big upside. Much more than a bullpen guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They gave him a million bucks and the deal was a 2-sport deal with more money at the back end than the front end.

He has a big upside. Much more than a bullpen guy.
    Think they will talk to him about it in the off season and ask him to give up BB, in order to focus full time on hardball?

Also how much do you think this has slowed his development down?

Thanks doug..

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He wants to play basketball, so they aren't going to push it otherwise it may backfire. I think it has held him back some though. He is probably a year behind where he would be otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Just perusing today and decided on this for a top eleven:

1 Stevenson - duh
    2 Hamilton - will bounce back soon and into next year at AAA
    3 Ervin - gamer, ball player, etc.
    4 Lorenzen - loads of talent
    5 Winker - solid, solid, solid
    6 Barnhardt - hits RHP at near .300/.400/.400 clip with plus defense
    7 Yorman - 4th outfielder floor
    8 Waldrop - big kid, 4th outfielder floor
    9 Cisco - pitcher's pitcher
    10 Arias - similar to Drew Stubbs in my eyes
    11 SMB - wish he'd move up to A+ this year as a token anyway
    Been doing a lot of reshuffling of my list lately. Here is the top 11 at the moment.

1. Stephenson
    2. Ervin
    3. Winker
    4. Hamilton
    5. Y-Rod
    6. Travieso
    7. Arias
    8. Contreras
    9. Lorenzen
    10. Mejias-Breen
    11. Garrett

Been back and forth between Winker, Ervin and Hamilton at 2, 3, 4. 8 thru 11 have been in every possible combo with several others (Reynoso, Rogers, Corcino, Moscot, Silva ... all with consideration as well). Actually, 8 through about 25 have all been fairly interchangeable on my list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think there's a major oversight... Juan Silva. His K/BB ratio is way down and his OPS is way up (considering league, that's a given) but his 'eye' isn't dependent on park factors, and he hits LHP/RHP equally well. He is the kind of player we should start to value more. And Garrett's stuff is going to play very well. Winker's awesome swing doesn't trump Hamilton's all around athleticism and potential impact game - yet. Corcino hasn't fallen off my radar either. Certainly a blip and as John Sickels says a WTF season. But he's recovering.

My comps as well (my comps are more about stats projection then L/R or pos comparisons)

1. Stephenson - No. 1 Elite SP
    2. Ervin - Kirby Puckett
    3. Hamilton - Juan Pierre
    4. Winker - Jay Bruce
    5. Silva - Choo
    6. Travieso - Latos
    7. Y-Rod - Jonny Gomes
    8. Garrett - Dontrelle Willis
    9. Corcino - Obviously still JC
    10. Arias - Sandoval
    11. Contreras - Livian Hernandez
    12. Mejias-Breen - Sean Casey
    Last edited by powersackers; 08-07-2013 at 05:22 AM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I like Juan Silva, but I heard redsof72 call him organizational filler. That gave me pause. I'd list him top 15, but want to see more power from him or he may stall out at the higher levels like we've seen with Rodriguez, Lamarre, etc. The plate discipline is very encouraging though.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I like Juan Silva, but I heard redsof72 call him organizational filler. That gave me pause. I'd list him top 15, but want to see more power from him or he may stall out at the higher levels like we've seen with Rodriguez, Lamarre, etc. The plate discipline is very encouraging though.
    redsof72, can you comment on this? Silva has always had a great walk rate, and now he is cutting down the Ks while showing a mild uptick in ISO. Can he be considered a legitimate prospect?

I'll take Winker as the best position player in the entire organization, over Hamilton (circus act) and Ervin (like the guy, just need to see more, lets talk this time next year). I think the Bruce comp is fair for Winker, but I see slightly less raw power with maybe a higher batting average.

Slightly off topic, but I've been wondering about this since I was at a Dragon's game last week - Gelalich has one home run all year. I'll admit not knowing a whole lot about him but the guy at least looks like he would have power (not a Derrick Robinson/Billy Hamilton type) but does he not or is it an oddity? I feel like he was touted as a pretty decent hitter coming out of last years draft. I really have no idea what type of player he profiles as so if someone could fill me in I'd appreciate it.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

bumping for RedsOF72 to comment.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Silva is not a top 30 prospect.

I think you will see Ben Lively in some top 10s based on what he has done and the fact that he averages 94. Could possibly jump Dayton in 2014 and go to Bakersfield, ala Cingrani and Moscot.

Best arm, outside of Lively, among all players at Billings and Goodyear would belong to Jeremy Kivel, who throws in the mid-90s. He should pop into the top 30 for next year and with continued improvement, could eventually be a top 10 if things go as hoped.

Mejias-Brean is a very interesting prospect. He has to learn which pitches he can turn on and hit out of the park, something he was not asked to do at Arizona. He has the raw power to eventually develop into a 25-30 homer guy if he learns to turn on pitches...probably the best pure power of any Dayton player including Winker or Ervin. He is a gold glove quality defensive third baseman, maybe the best defensive infielder in the Reds organization. The kid is hitting .340 since May 12.

Yorman...I hope I am wrong but I have never seen it. The age thing is way, way overplayed on here in my opinion. At age 17, his body was already mature like a 21 year old. He has been through five instructional leagues, five spring trainings, five full seasons. He has hit higher than .260 one time in his career. He strikes out a lot, his current homer total of 12 is his career high. His tools are good but not great in any area. Attitude wise, worst I have ever seen in 25+ years around the game (maybe that gets better, yes, that is a possibility; maybe Daniel Tuttle gets better too). He did not put any effort into trying to get better. Maybe that has come around. But we are talking about this kid as a future major league starter? To me, he and Duran are the poster children for why you don't give $2 million to guys unless you are sure they really WANT to play. All right, that is my Yorman rant for 2013.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-20-2013),OesterPoster (08-20-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

1. Stephenson
    2. Hamilton
    3. Ervin
    4. Mejias-Brean (thanks to redsof72)
    5. Winker
    6. Lorenzen
    7. Travieso
    8. Ortiz
    9. Y-Rod
    10. Moscot
    11. Waldrop

I could not put Seth quite that high but he will be an interesting guy to follow. I do not think Ortiz is as highly-regarded as you have him. If Amir Garrett would commit to baseball, he might crack the top 10 but it is going to be hard for him to learn the things he needs to learn when he is already 21 and is only a baseball player for 4 months of the year.

I think you are going to have to take a look at Lively on that list. He is not doing it with mirrors. I have heard he has had some games where he was in the mid to high 90s.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-20-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Thanks redsof72. Everything from 7 to 11 is pretty interchangeable for me. It was hard to place one over the other. I considered Lively over Moscot, but my gut went with Moscot.

Others to consider for top 20:

Contreras, McMyne, Lively, Kivel, Garrett, Boyles, Weiss, Mieres, Corcino, Cisco, Guillon, Duran, LaMarre, Arias (CF), Selsky

Am I missing anyone?

Dropped out of top 20 or no longer considered:

Lutz, Lotzkar, Soto, Gelalich, H-Rod, Rahier

Chad Rogers is a Sam LeCure type.

Mark Armstrong will be an interesting guy to follow based on draft position but apparently some shoulder soreness is keeping him out until instructional league.

Rahier is a guy that might surprise you still. If he had gone to Billings this year and hit .300 with 15 home runs, as would likely have happened if Carlos Sanchez had not gotten hurt, he would be viewed differently. He might start in Dayton next year as a 20 year old. Outstanding glove, arm at third.

Jackson Stephens is a guy that I would suggest as being worthy of consideration for top 20-30. 19 year old who averages 92, good control, has four pitches. Good reports on Cory Thompson. Tyler Mahle is probably not a top 30 but worth keeping in mind.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-20-2013 at 03:55 PM.

18. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?