Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects 2013 Midseason Edition

redsof72, I think you will see a lot of people ranking Juan Silva in their top 15 based on numbers etc. What is it that makes you bluntly dismissive of a player that appears decent on paper?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    redsof72, I think you will see a lot of people ranking Juan Silva in their top 15 based on numbers etc. What is it that makes you bluntly dismissive of a player that appears decent on paper?
    The tools, or the lacking of. He draws walks at a very good rate. But nothing else in his game really stands out. The fact that he was a 4th outfielder to begin the season tells you what you need to know about his standing in the organization (fairly or unfairly).

He has really been a fourth outfielder this year and the same thing last year. He is hitting .268 in a hitters league and does not have much power. He is not particularly fast and is average in the outfield. He does not have a tool that you would rank as clearly above average for a Single-A league. Good organizational guy. Can play all three outfield positions without killing you.

So this is a case where a .375 career OBP isn't any indication of MLB potential, just that he's able to lay off bad pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    So this is a case where a .375 career OBP isn't any indication of MLB potential, just that he's able to lay off bad pitches.
    Can we get him to have a sit-down chat with Zach Cozart?
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Great insight as always redsof72.

What are your thoughts on Travieso? How would you rank the other Dayton arms (Guillon, Cisco, Romano, Stephens) against each other? Is Travieso (along with Garrett) still very much a cut above in your mind? Thanks.
    Go BLUE!!!

Love the input from redsof72, as always. Though I wish he'd quit burying Yorman....

Nice to hear the positives on SMB. I have really liked what I've seen of him on MILB TV, and you can't argue with the production. It's intriguing to me that he's been able to post a very high BA over the last several months in Dayton, following a similar performance last year in Billings before he got hurt. Just a fundamentally sound hitter with possible power yet to come. Mix in the good defense at 3B and he starts to profile as very interesting. I also agree that Rahier is worth watching. Even though his numbers aren't great, I think he held up well as a 19 year old in a tough hitters league, playing against older competition in his 1st year of full season ball. I like the swing, at least on the pull side.

Turn Off Ads?