Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Make Billy Hamilton Available...

Re: Is there any realistic future for Billy Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    Dooming a player at age 22 is just about the silliest thing you can do.
    Not silly at all. Players are cut or given up on all the time before the age of 22.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Likes:

OneManBand (07-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Make Billy Hamilton Available...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Last winter at the meetings, the Reds ABSOLUTELY should have traded :

Chapman
    B Hamilton
    Hanigan
    Corcino

Think of the package of prospects we could have acquired by dealing these 4, all had the highest trade value that they were going to have. We missed the boat. B Hamilton will NOT HIT, he is NOT an everyday MLB player.

I would have packaged Chapman and Hamilton and acquired a RH # 4, Stanton last year, but too late.

But, now I would call Detroit and offer Chapman and Corcino for Castellanos and Rondon.

Also, I would trade Soto, Lutz and B Hamilton for a few prospects. We need to operate like a small market team, we are not a WS team, wheeling and dealing need to start happening.

We MUST trade players when they reach trade value max, that is not happening. Chapman, Hamilton, Corcino and Hanigan should not be Reds.

Chapman, Hamilton, Soto, Corcino and Lutz

for Profar, M Perez, Olt and Scheppers
    What's your point exactly? Did you know for a fact that Corcino was going to struggle this year? It could have just as easily been Cingrani. Did you know Hanigan would be injured and struggling at the plate?

Hindsight is 20-20. No GM or front office is capable of peering into the future and determining exactly when a guy will get injured or his numbers are going to fall off a cliff.

I agree in principle that one tool guys (Hamilton) and relievers (Chapman) should be traded when their value is sky high, but it's hard to know where that peak is.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 07-19-2013 at 11:32 AM.

he is at least 1 if not 2 years from being ML ready...

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Not silly at all. Players are cut or given up on all the time before the age of 22.
    None of those players have an elite tool though. A player who just set the professional record for steals in a season is not going to be given up on because of a bad half of a season at AAA. If Drew Stubbs and Homer Bailey can get as many chances as they got, then I think Billy gets at least a couple years in AAA to learn how to get on base.

7. Likes:

dwyerbrg (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    None of those players have an elite tool though. A player who just set the professional record for steals in a season is not going to be given up on because of a bad half of a season at AAA. If Drew Stubbs and Homer Bailey can get as many chances as they got, then I think Billy gets at least a couple years in AAA to learn how to get on base.
    Learning and having the talent and ability to get on base are two different things. So far Billy Hamilton has shown he is nothing more than Edwin Moses in a baseball uniform.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    What's your point exactly? Did you know for a fact that Corcino was going to struggle this year? It could have just as easily been Cingrani. Did you know Hanigan would be injured and struggling at the plate?

Hindsight is 20-20. No GM or front office is capable of peering into the future and determining exactly when a guy will get injured or his numbers are going to fall off a cliff.

I agree in principle that one tool guys (Hamilton) and relievers (Chapman) should be traded when their value is sky high, but it's hard to know where that peak is.
    The question is whether you work to develop the other tools in the one tool guy, or risk another team developing those tools. Do you sell early? How early is too early? What age is the cutoff on him not developing those other tools?

Billy Hamilton=Herb Washington
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yes there is hope. Right now, his swings are a mess and he needs plenty of work with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Learning and having the talent and ability to get on base are two different things. So far Billy Hamilton has shown he is nothing more than Edwin Moses in a baseball uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Billy Hamilton=Herb Washington
    I take it neither of you have seen him play.

Billy Hamilton has solid baseball skills and talents, that go behind his speed. He's a very smart baseball player who provides above average defense, and has good baseball instincts. Right now, he could be a very effective 5th outfielder on any MLB team at the very least.

His only major issue is his swing, especially from the left side. But even there, he's hit well above average at every level until he made it to AAA. He may never be a productive MLB starter, but he's much, much more than just a track star in a baseball uniform. He already is a true baseball player.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I still have very high hopes for Billy but the worst thing the Reds can do is rush this kid. He should get another full year in AAA if he needs it. Sometimes you have to ignore the big club's need and be patient. Unless you want to trade in his potential for help now but that would be pretty poor GMing in Billy's case since you almost certainly would be selling low. I'm willing to wait it out.

This is the year

Why does everyone around just assume choo will be gone next season.

I see no point in letting him go if unless walt makes some serious WIN NOW moves before the deadline. If he just sits on his hands. Than why did we get choo for one year in the first place

They got Choo for one year thinking BH would be ready in 2014. It was a good move then and remains a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Unless Walt is willing to sacrifice the future and go all in this year, Lee makes absolutely no sense for the Reds.

Sure, he's a top of the rotation pitcher having an excellent season. He's one of the better lefties in the league. He's got a solid post season resume.

He's also 34 and has a contract that will pay him 25 million next year, 25 million in 2015 and anywhere between 12.5 million (buyout) and 27.5 million in 2016 (he will be 37).

I won't go into semantics over the players involved in any trade scenario because I don't see it happening, but were it somehow possible, the Phillies are going to want a lot.

As for Hamilton, I think he is, as of today, overrated. Yes, he's incredibly fast and is a base running machine. But he hasn't hit yet (.300 OBP, doesn't walk, Ks too much) and is average in the OF.

Think about it. The Reds have a sizable hole in the 2 spot and in LF, yet Hamilton doesn't get called up. There's a reason for that. He's not ready.

Until he picks up his game, his trade value is not high.
    I don't think Hamilton is on the 40 man roster yet. That's the biggest reason he wasn't called up.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    I was a Hamilton fan for about 10 minutes. Then I looked at his stats. This guy is another Stubbs without the defense. And he is our hope? No way. Trade him now while there is some interest.
    for who?

I'm just curious. Why Hasn't Billy Hamilton been brought up this year? Is his nickname "Sliding Billy" by any chance? There was a "Sliding Billy" Hamilton that played in the 19th Century. His career actually lasted from 1888 to 1901. He stole 914 lifetime bases, including 100 or more FOUR TIMES. 111 in 1888 for the Kansas City Cowboys of the American Association. 102 for the Philadelphia Phillies of the National League in 1889. 111 for the Phillies in 1890. 128 for the Phillies in 1894.

Turn Off Ads?