Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Player Profiles - Frank Pastore

Player Profiles - Frank Pastore

Pastore was born in Alhambra, California on August 21, 1957. He was valedictorian of the 1975 class of Damien High School, and was picked up by the Cincinnati Reds in the second round of the amateur draft that same year. After spending 4 somewhat unremarkable years in the minors (Pastore's career minor league record is 34-41 with a 3.28 ERA), he eventually made his major league debut on April 4, 1979 at Riverfront Stadium. In that game Pastore pitched three scoreless innings in a loss to the Giants. By the end of the 1979 season Pastore was moved into the starting rotation. In fact, he started Game 2 of the NLCS against the Pirates. Pastore limited Pittsburgh to two runs over seven innings. The Pirates won in extras, and the Reds lost in a three-game sweep.

Pastore's best season came in 1980 with the Reds, as he posted a record of 13 - 7 with an ERA of 3.27 in 27 appearances. For the most part he was mediocre in 1981 and '82, and the rest of his career followed this downward trajectory. Pastore claims that his pitching abilities were never the same after Steve Sax of the Dodgers hit a line drive off his right elbow in June 1984. He was released in April 1986 and finished the season with the Minnesota Twins. He pitched four games with the Texas Rangers organization at Triple-A in 1987, but that was the end of the line for Pastore.

Shortly after he was released by the Rangers, Pastore set a new record at the The Big Texan Steak Ranch restaurant in Amarillo, Texas by eating a meal that included a 72-ounce ribeye steak, salad, baked potato, shrimp cocktail, and roll in 9 minutes, 30 seconds. That record stood until it was broken by Joey Chestnut on March 24, 2008, when he finished his same-sized steak meal in just over 8 minutes.

After his baseball career ended, Pastore began to develop his intellectual and spiritual side. He earned degrees in business, religion, ethics, political science and theology at several universities. He wrote a book, and was a radio host with KKLA, a Christian talk radio station, from 2004 until his death on December 17, 2012. Pastore had been in a coma for four weeks after sustaining injuries in a motorcycle accident.

2. Likes:

Big Klu (07-18-2013),Bob Borkowski (07-18-2013),cumberlandreds (07-18-2013),dabvu2498 (07-19-2013),marcshoe (07-19-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-19-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-18-2013),RichRed (07-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Player Profiles - Frank Pastore

"...and a Frank Pastore rookie card."
    What if this is as good as it gets?

His rookie card was the first Reds rookie card that I saved thinking it would be worth a fortune someday. Still have it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    His rookie card was the first Reds rookie card that I saved thinking it would be worth a fortune someday. Still have it.
    I remember reading one of those baseball season preview paperbacks that used to come out back in those days, I think it was written by Bruce Weber (not the coach) or Bill Gutman. In the section about the Reds, it mentioned that there would be a competition at 3B between Ray Knight, who was described as "good field, no hit," and Harry Spilman ("good hit, no field"). Funny how things work out.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

- special rules in his honor on 700 WLW's Sport or Consequences on Gary Burbanks afternoon show.

http://www.johnnyq.com/Bbc/tcsc3.html

8. Likes:

Captain13 (07-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?