Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which teams make the playoffs in 2013?

Which teams make the playoffs in 2013?

The Tigers will pull away from the surprisingly strong Indians in the AL Central. The Rangers will edge the A’s in the AL West, though the latter will join the Orioles in the wild-card game. The Braves will hold onto the NL East and the Cardinals to the NL Central, with both surmounting challenges by the wild-card-winning Nationals and Pirates. The Diamondbacks will be passed by the Dodgers in late September thanks to their porous bullpen and the erosion of their rotation depth.
    Jay Jaffe (SI) thinks the Reds will miss out. I think he is wrong.

NL East - Atlanta
    NL Central - St. Louis
    NL West - Los Angeles
    Wildcard 1 - Cincinnati
    Wildcard 2 - Arizona

AL East - Tampa Bay
    AL Central - Detroit
    Al West - Oakland
    Wildcard 1 - Boston
    Wildcard 2 - Texas

Cincinnati over Oakland in the World Series. Dusty follows Tony LaRussa's lead and rides off into the sunset.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which teams make the playoffs in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

NL East - Atlanta
    NL Central - St. Louis
    NL West - Los Angeles
    Wildcard 1 - Cincinnati
    Wildcard 2 - Arizona

AL East - Tampa Bay
    AL Central - Detroit
    Al West - Oakland
    Wildcard 1 - Boston
    Wildcard 2 - Texas

Cincinnati over Oakland in the World Series. Dusty follows Tony LaRussa's lead and rides off into the sunset.
    My picks as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

NL East - Atlanta
    NL Central - St. Louis
    NL West - Los Angeles
    Wildcard 1 - Cincinnati
    Wildcard 2 - Arizona

AL East - Tampa Bay
    AL Central - Detroit
    Al West - Oakland
    Wildcard 1 - Boston
    Wildcard 2 - Texas

Put down the booze. Lol

I think Washington makes the playoffs, the interesting question is who that bumps--is it the Reds, Pirates, or Braves?

NL
    Braves
    Cardinals
    Dodgers
    Reds
    Nationals (one team not close will make it)

AL
    Red Sox
    Tigers
    Rangers
    Orioles
    A's

NLCS
    Dodgers/Cardinals

ALCS
    Rangers/Tigers

WS
    Tigers over Dodgers in 6 (the Kirk Gibson WS)

NL East - Atlanta
    NL Central - Cincinnati
    NL West - Los Angeles
    Wildcard 1 - St. Louis
    Wildcard 2 - Washington

AL East - Boston
    AL Central - Detroit
    Al West - Texas
    Wildcard 1 - Tampa Bay
    Wildcard 2 - Oakland

I think the Bucs will fall off, though not as dramatically as last year. I think Cincinnati will catch fire and edge the Cardinals.

NL East: Atlanta
    NL Central: Pittsburgh
    NL West: Arizoma
    NL WC1: St.Louis
    NL WC2: Cincinnati

AL East: Baltimore
    AL Central: Detroit
    AL West: Oakland
    AL WC1: Boston
    AL WC2: Texas

East: Atlanta
    Central: Cincinnati (What can I say? Homer!)
    West: Arizona
    WC1: St. Louis
    WC2: Pitt

AL
    East: Baltimore
    Central: Detroit
    West: Oakland
    WC1: Boston
    WC2: Texas

Don't get the love of the Nationals. They are a horribly constructed team. They are built on pitching, nothing else, and even that isn't elite.

They have an average K rate for a pitching staff, and a terrible defense. Not a smart combination. And their hitting is worse than their defense.

They will be lucky to stay around .500 the rest of the year.

That said:

NL:

Pirates
    Braves
    Dodgers
    Reds
    Phillies

I could care less about minor leagues like the AL.

Pirates win the Central. I predict the Phillies will decide to be sellers, trade Rollins, Young, Papelbon and Utley, then go on a tear and win the third wild card from the fading Cards, whose starting rotation, outside of Wainwright, falls apart the second half of the season. Chris Carpenter comes back, but puts up a 10+ ERA before quitting with 3 weeks left in the season, blaming it all on Pete Kozma for wearing the wrong color cleats on games he pitches.

Reds vs. Phillies in one game playoff. Perfect time for vengeance.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-19-2013)

NL East Braves
    NL Central Cardinals
    NL West Dodgers

Pirates and Reds edge out the D'Backs for the WC. Nationals hitting is horribly inconsistent. Unless they turn that around in a hurry they will fall out of the WC pretty quickly.

AL East Rays
    AL Central Tigers
    NL West A's

Orioles and Rangers play for the WC again edging out the Red Sox.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Can't believe people are leaving the Pirates out. They aren't as good as they've played, but they're still a .500 team with a HUGE lead in the standings. If they just play .500 ball, someone will have to go 20 games! over .500 to knock them out (around 43-23) and if that happens, that team is probably overtaking their division leader anyway.

I think the Braves are pretty set and the rest of the NLEast is out. No clue who wins the NLWest, but I'll be shocked if they send 2 also.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Can't believe people are leaving the Pirates out. They aren't as good as they've played, but they're still a .500 team with a HUGE lead in the standings. If they just play .500 ball, someone will have to go 20 games! over .500 to knock them out (around 43-23) and if that happens, that team is probably overtaking their division leader anyway.

I think the Braves are pretty set and the rest of the NLEast is out. No clue who wins the NLWest, but I'll be shocked if they send 2 also.
    I think you make a good point. The Pirates have 69 games left. If they play 34 and 35 ball, they'll finsih with 90 wins. For the D-Backs to win the second wildcard, they'd need to play 41 and 26 ball. But that would still win the division unless the Dodgers also get to 91 or more wins they'd need to go 44 and 24. For the Nats to sneak in, they'd need go 43-24 while the Braves would need to go 37-30 for the East to get two teams. Those are all do-able, but pretty high level winning percentages.

So, if we assume the Reds are going to stay on course to 91 wins (or more I hope), the Pirates would need to collapse to well below .500 the rest of the way for one of the other divisions to have a decent shot get two teams in. I could see the Pirates pitching falling way off (Locke, Liriano, etc.) but it's reasonable to assume they'd still win 30 games. Multiple other teams would still need to play pretty well to beat them. It's possible, but the your post is correct about it being unlikely. I picked the Pirates to fall out of it, and I could still see it happening, but I acknowledge that it would be a pretty big change in how the season has gone for that to happen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Jeff Locke imploding would be a good start...

I think in part, folks are collectively caught off guard by the late all star game this year. There's a good bit less baseball to play this season than in seasons past.

I can see why some writers are predicting a Reds' collapse; after all, they limped into the all star break not only behind, but in a cold streak. The more recent impressions are going to inform the newest writing the most. But every year, fortunes turn for teams just like the current sluggish Reds. And I believe it's easier for teams like the Reds who don't have to overcome the inertia of being a "loser" franchise for the first time in a long long time like the Pirates. I absolutely think the Reds have a great shot at winning the division outright.

These are fun the older they get.

Most everyone looking pretty smart but many of us are getting burnt by the Pirates.

Turn Off Ads?