Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the DH?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it

6 10.17%
  • Hate it

45 76.27%
  • No strong opinion

8 13.56%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DH-Like it or hate it?

DH-Like it or hate it?

Do you personally like or hate the DH? I hate it, because in team sports, I think either all players should be required to play both offense and defense (i.e., basketball and real baseball played in the NL) or no players should be required to play both (i.e., football). I don't think it's right to have some players (in this case the pitcher and DH) exempt from playing both ways while requiring it from all the other position players.

What do you guys think of the DH? I'd imagine most Reds fans are against it since they are in the NL. Why do you like or not like it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DH-Like it or hate it?

The DH is pure evil.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

4. Likes:

Dwarftree (09-13-2013),meigsred (08-31-2013),oneupper (08-29-2013),westofyou (08-29-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

It was introduced as a gimmick to sell more tickets (more runs, more excitement). The AL was slagging in attendance in those days. The one who came up with the idea also wanted to use colored (non-white) baseballs lol.

Gimmicks have no place in this great game.

I don´t care, in my opinion the positives and negatives of a dh are equal...

but I don´t like to see 2 different rules within the mlb => al and nl should play the "same" way...

I dislike the DH. I think the DH is one of the contributing factors to out of control salaries.

IMHO, if you're in the starting lineup you are a position player or the pitcher. Period. Dot.

I get the arguments for the DH, but I don't think they outweigh the arguments against it.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I want no part of the DH in the NL, but have no problem at all with the AL utilizing it. IMO, the fact that both the AL and NL ultilize different rules (ie: DH) just helps to accentuate the fact that MLB is unlike any other Pro league, and that baseball itself is a game like no other.

IMO, unless MLB decides to realign divisions/leagues to allow for more geographical rivalies -- Reds/Indians, Yankees/Mets, Cubs/White Sox -- I see no point of two separate leagues operating with the exact same rules in place. You are essentially the NFL at that point and, IMO, that's not good.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I want no part of the DH in the NL, but have no problem at all with the AL utilizing it. IMO, the fact that both the AL and NL ultilize different rules (ie: DH) just helps to accentuate the fact that MLB is unlike any other Pro league, and that baseball itself is a game like no other.

IMO, unless MLB decides to realign divisions/leagues to allow for more geographical rivalies -- Reds/Indians, Yankees/Mets, Cubs/White Sox -- I see no point of two separate leagues operating with the exact same rules in place. You are essentially the NFL at that point and, IMO, that's not good.
    The problem with 2 sets of rules isn't about the regular season, it's about the World Series.

The 2 different rules force very different lineup construction, and that becomes a disadvantage in the WS, especially for the NL team. Batting a pitcher is roughly equal for both leagues, but an NL bench player is always going to be worse than an AL full-time DH. Heisey or Encarnacion - which would you rather have DH?

It's like playing a Fantasy Football league with 2 divisions with 2 different scoring systems and having the winner of each meet in the finals. Would you want to build a team with 6pt per passing TD and PPR, then play the championship game with 4pt per TD and non-PPR? That's what MLB has done, and the stakes are a LOT higher!!

10. Likes:

SporkLover (08-29-2013),Z-Fly (08-29-2013)

The idea of watching someone who can't hit, only plays on "occasion" and doesn't take much hitting practice actually hit in the game is horrible. Add to that the risks involved and how valuable pitchers are, the DH is needed.

12. Likes:

jojo (09-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    The idea of watching someone who can't hit, only plays on "occasion" and doesn't take much hitting practice actually hit in the game is horrible.
    The idea seemed okay for the first hundred years or so of baseball's existence.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

[QUOTE=Tom Servo;2952405]The idea seemed okay for the first hundred years or so of baseball's existence.[/QUOTE

So that makes it right or smart? As we are seeing with baseball, either you change, grow and adapt or you die...

Like all right-thinking Americans, I hate the DH with the fiery intensity of a thousand burning stars.

jvs

It's dumb. The AL can bite me LOL
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

17. Likes:

Joseph (08-29-2013)

So that makes it right or smart? As we are seeing with baseball, either you change, grow and adapt or you die...
    Really? Got any examples or facts to back that up, Johnny? The only changes I have seen in the last 20 years are so the owners/players can make more $$$. Do explain a change that was made to avoid MLB from dying.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Really? Got any examples or facts to back that up, Johnny? The only changes I have seen in the last 20 years are so the owners/players can make more $$$. Do explain a change that was made to avoid MLB from dying.
    changes:

Interleague Play
    Realignment
    Addition of WC
    Smaller ballparks
    Replay
    Additional Replay
    Stipulation placed on All Star game

These are just some of the changes that MLB has done to make the game more exciting to younger fans. Younger fans are what will drive this game down the road, the old farts of "yesterday's game" are dying off. Either you grow, change and adapt or you fall behind Hockey.

20. Likes:

jojo (09-02-2013)

changes:

Interleague Play
    Realignment
    Addition of WC
    Smaller ballparks
    Replay
    Additional Replay
    Stipulation placed on All Star game

These are just some of the changes that MLB has done to make the game more exciting to younger fans. Younger fans are what will drive this game down the road, the old farts of "yesterday's game" are dying off. Either you grow, change and adapt or you fall behind Hockey.
    I guess we will agree to disagree. I am not sure there is any sense in attempting to discuss this with you. Rock on, youngster!

Turn Off Ads?