Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trading "The Cuban Missile"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trading "The Cuban Missile"

Before you absolutely lose your mind think about this. The Reds obviously have a hole in left field that needs to be addressed. If we are being realistic, we know that Ryan Ludwick will not come back from the DL in the same form that he was in during the 2012 Postseason. If Walt could put together a deal such as this
    The Marlins receive:
    Aroldis Chapman, Ryan Ludwick/Chris Heisey, Daniel Corcino (yes he is having a bad year, but there is still value there), and maybe a mid-level prospect
    for
    The Reds receive:
    Giancarlo Stanton and Steve Cishek
    Do you do it? Yes Chapman is well liked in Cincinnati and the Marlins have said Stanton isn't going anywhere, but if this trade could happen, would you do it?
    This may be a little bit of a video game trade but I think the Marlins would definitely consider it and I think Reds fans should be behind it all the way. The Reds window to win a World Series could close in 2 or 3 years with many players eligible for free agency by 2015. Acquiring a player such as Stanton could really push the Reds over the top.
    A lineup such as
    CF: Choo
    2B: Phillips
    1B: Votto
    LF: Stanton
    RF: Bruce
    3B: Frazier
    SS: Cozart
    C: Hanigan

Would be completely dominant. Closers are a lot easier to come by than players of Stanton's caliber. Sure Chapman is a lot better than an average closer and it would hurt not seeing him come out of left center anymore but Cishek is no joke, he could definitely hold his own. If the Reds could do this, I would be behind it 100%.

Re: Trading "The Cuban Missile"

I don't get into specifics of other teams' players, mainly because you never really know who's available and who is unavailable on either team or how other teams value your team's players.

At this point, despite Stanton's 7 errors in RF, despite him having a down year, if he were available, I'd do almost anything I could to make the deal.

I am not sold on Chapman as our "closer for the future". He throws heat but is inconsistent . I would trade him while he has so much value for a qualityRF or even 3b.

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    I am not sold on Chapman as our "closer for the future". He throws heat but is inconsistent . I would trade him while he has so much value for a qualityRF or even 3b.
    If Chapman will never be anything more than a closer for the Reds, then he provides more value to us as some other team's starting pitcher. I would cash in before he develops arm troubles (as history tells us will happen sooner or later to a BP arm).

Reds MUST trade chapman, he won't be a Red once his contract expires so either get something or nothing for him. Because his contract is almost up is why Miami would want no part of him. They know they couldn't afford him so no reason to trade for him. You have to move him to a team that "thinks" they can resign him.

I really don't see the Reds trading Chapman anytime in the near future.

There is already an active thread on this in the sun deck. There are 2 major hurdles to cross:

-Stanton would almost certainly cost more than that. And no way would Ludwick be a part of the deal.

-The Marlins are almost certainly going to keep Stanton anyway, as he is the face of the franchise and cost controlled for several years.

However, it is the Marlins so you never know. IF he becomes available I would have no problems packaging Chapman, Hamilton, and anyone else not named Cingrani/Stephenson for Giancarlo. The top of our lineup would be incredible with him batting 4th.

First, Chapman almost certainly will be an A type and would bring a draft pick with a qualifying offer so the Reds won't get nothing for him. Second, he is here for a couple more seasons after this one so it's not an immediate issue.

That said, if the Reds decided to trade him, the fact that he is relatively cheap, under control for a couple more seasons, and so very dominant most of the time gives him big, big value. A dominant closer has the most value to a true contender, though. That means he provides the Reds the most value as a Red, or in a deal to a team like the Tigers. Miami would be a poor target destination, imo.

The Reds won't trade Chapman because as Pete Rose says he puts asses in the seats.

Due to the large Cuban population in Miami I think he would bring people to the park and they may bank on that, but I don't think that would be enough for Miami to pull the trigger without signing him to a long term deal first. But as someone earlier said, "it is the Marlins so you never know".

He did a great job on Saturday

For the right player, Walt would listen.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

I'd have no problem having him traded. His control is questionable and he really doesn't have that killer instinct. It looks like he could care less when he blows a save.

Stanton would be perfect in between Votto-Bruce. I would do it.

I'd say the Rolen deal was pretty gutsy.

I think it's more that Walt won't make a deal just to make a deal...if there's something out there that he feels improves the team more now than it hurts it down the road, he'll do...if it hurts down the road more than it helps now, he won't.

Turn Off Ads?