Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Fran/ At&T Stadium

San Fran/ At&T Stadium

Myself and Mrs. George Anderson will be spending three days in San Francisco the first weekend of September. We of course are going to take in a game against the Diamondbacks and plan on seeing Alcatraz. Other than that anything anybody recommends seeing? Any good places to go before the game or after? The Golden Gate bridge kinda interests me but is there really any thing museum wise to check out or do you just look at the bridge and nothing else?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Fran/ At&T Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Myself and Mrs. George Anderson will be spending three days in San Francisco the first weekend of September. We of course are going to take in a game against the Diamondbacks and plan on seeing Alcatraz. Other than that anything anybody recommends seeing? Any good places to go before the game or after? The Golden Gate bridge kinda interests me but is there really any thing museum wise to check out or do you just look at the bridge and nothing else?
    Well, there's always driving across it. Go see the sea lions at Pier 39, assuming they're still there. When I went to Alcatraz the ferry left from close by. There's a lot of touristy stuff there too, but I enjoyed the sea lions.

We have posters from that area who could tell you what else to see. I just enjoyed looking at the city, which reminded me of Sydney, where I lived years ago.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-19-2013),George Anderson (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Well, there's always driving across it. Go see the sea lions at Pier 39, assuming they're still there. When I went to Alcatraz the ferry left from close by. There's a lot of touristy stuff there too, but I enjoyed the sea lions.

We have posters from that area who could tell you what else to see. I just enjoyed looking at the city, which reminded me of Sydney, where I lived years ago.

I echo this. I was out there about 20 years ago. Drove across the Golden Gate. Saw the sea lions at the pier. That was very nice place just to walk around and enjoy the nice weather. I went Alcatraz too. Very interesting place. Also drove Lombard Street. That's been a very often filmed street in movies.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-19-2013),George Anderson (07-19-2013)

I just got back from San Francisco in May and did just about all the things mentioned above, and they're all good suggestions. I can confirm the sea lions are still at Pier 39.

We went to a Giants/Nats game, and it was great; you'll definitely enjoy it. We grabbed a few beers at 21st Amendment before the game, and I would recommend it if you like microbrews. Make sure you buy garlic fries at AT&T.

We were also there for about three days, and in addition to the things mentioned above, we enjoyed Golden Gate Park (it's huge), Land's End and Ghiradelli Square.

Definitely make sure you pack for all kinds of weather because it can change drastically and in a hurry. I've only been twice, so I'm certainly not an expert on the city, but if you have any others questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer if I can.

8. Likes:

George Anderson (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I just got back from San Francisco in May and did just about all the things mentioned above, and they're all good suggestions. I can confirm the sea lions are still at Pier 39.

We went to a Giants/Nats game, and it was great; you'll definitely enjoy it. We grabbed a few beers at 21st Amendment before the game, and I would recommend it if you like microbrews. Make sure you buy garlic fries at AT&T.

We were also there for about three days, and in addition to the things mentioned above, we enjoyed Golden Gate Park (it's huge), Land's End and Ghiradelli Square.

Definitely make sure you pack for all kinds of weather because it can change drastically and in a hurry. I've only been twice, so I'm certainly not an expert on the city, but if you have any others questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer if I can.
    Funny, when i went a few years ago i also saw them play the Nats. Is Kara's cupcakes still at ghirardelli square? I had the best damn cupcake ever there.

Regarding the bridge, I suggest walking across and taking it all in first. The city is beautiful and you will not get bored just walking around. Good restaurants in little Italy. The views from the park are awesome too. Alcatraz was good for a couple of hours. Mrs George may like walking through Sausalito

You're going to SF with Sparky Anderson's wife?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

11. Likes:

dabvu2498 (07-19-2013),George Anderson (07-19-2013),Raisor (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Funny, when i went a few years ago i also saw them play the Nats. Is Kara's cupcakes still at ghirardelli square? I had the best damn cupcake ever there.

Regarding the bridge, I suggest walking across and taking it all in first. The city is beautiful and you will not get bored just walking around. Good restaurants in little Italy. The views from the park are awesome too. Alcatraz was good for a couple of hours. Mrs George may like walking through Sausalito
    I'm not sure about Kara's, but there was a place on Chestnut St (I can't remember the name), and my wife LOVED their cupcakes. I will second Sausalito, as well. We had dinner there one night, and the view from the restaurant was spectacular.

If you like hiking ... head to Muir Woods in Marin County. Drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais.

If you like wine ... take a drive up to Napa Valley and visit a couple of wineries and take a walk around Sonoma square.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

14. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-19-2013),oneupper (07-27-2013)

George, I lived there for 20 years, lots to do, I can help you out. What do you and the wife really want to do, see, like to do, see.
    Last edited by westofyou; 07-19-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: map add

Thanks, I was bummed when I saw Dimaggios restaurant closed.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

They call me "chef"

If you like browsing vinyl records, being near John Vanderslice's recording studio, music gear shops, well procured second hand clothing shops, or walking amongst tattooed dreadlocked/shaved side-head street punks on skateboards and bikes, then I highly recommend the Hait Ashbury strip.

For Alcatraz should we visit at night or during day?

I heard night is cool, but is it that cool?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    For Alcatraz should we visit at night or during day?

I heard night is cool, but is it that cool?
    It's freaking cold out there in the day, and dank too... I did the day journey, better visibility

You need to go over to the Stanford University hospital and behold the place of my birth.

You'll shed a tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    You need to go over to the Stanford University hospital and behold the place of my birth.

You'll shed a tear.
    Go "Down" not over

Turn Off Ads?