Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Brandon Phillips, our Allstar brat?

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/fe...spx?ID=2007148

I am sure this will play well with his teammates.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Brandon Phillips is the subject of a feature article in the upcoming issue of Cincinnati Magazine. It was a decent article, but there was a section of it that really rubbed me the wrong way:

“I just feel like they didn’t have to sign Joey to that contract. He still had two more years on his,” says Phillips. “And for [the front office] to go out there and sign him before they sign me, and they knew I was going to be a free agent?” Phillips shakes his head. “I understand Joey’s a good player. He’s one of the best players in this game. But I feel like I am too. I told them that this is where I wanted to be. I begged them. I told everybody I want to finish my career here. And then they give someone a contract who didn’t ask for nothing?”

With Phillips hoping to garner a deal in the range of the league’s highest paid second basemen, the numbers weren’t adding up. Rumors were beginning to swirl about Phillips being used as a trade asset later in the season. Quietly, the Reds front office offered him six years for $72.5 million. Phillips says that Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty and team owner Bob Castellini—chairman of Castellini Co., the billion-dollar national produce distributor—made clear it was all the team could offer. Phillips swallowed his pride and signed the deal, though he clearly hasn’t forgotten what he perceived as a slight.

“To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened,” he says. “For [Castellini] to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face.”

I love Brandon Phillips. He's always been one of my favorite players because of his style of play, but it seems that his ego is coming out again. The Reds need to focus on playing good baseball right now, rather than be distracted by the drama these types of comments tend to stir up.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Phillips: Votto contract a slap in the face

“I just feel like they didn’t have to sign Joey to that contract. He still had two more years on his,” says Phillips. “And for [the front office] to go out there and sign him before they sign me, and they knew I was going to be a free agent?” Phillips shakes his head. “I understand Joey’s a good player. He’s one of the best players in this game. But I feel like I am too. I told them that this is where I wanted to be. I begged them. I told everybody I want to finish my career here. And then they give someone a contract who didn’t ask for nothing?”
    ...........Phillips says that Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty and team owner Bob Castellini—chairman of Castellini Co., the billion-dollar national produce distributor—made clear it was all the team could offer. Phillips swallowed his pride and signed the deal, though he clearly hasn’t forgotten what he perceived as a slight.
    “To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened,” he says. “For [Castellini] to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face.”

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Every professional athlete has a gigantic ego, including Votto. This is a non story. If anything it makes BP look bad, but it has no effect on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

6. Likes:

DocRed (07-20-2013)

Re: Phillips: Votto contract a slap in the face

Delete me please

He can slap himself in the face with $72.5 million. If he's looking for sympathy he will never find it with the fans.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),AtomicDumpling (07-19-2013),Donder (07-19-2013),foxfire123 (07-21-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),Nasty_Boy (07-19-2013),RedEye (07-19-2013),Redeyecat (07-19-2013),remdog (07-21-2013),SirFelixCat (07-19-2013),Swampturkey (07-19-2013),texasdave (07-19-2013),The Operator (07-20-2013),toledodan (07-19-2013),Tommyjohn25 (07-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Every professional athlete has a gigantic ego, including Votto. This is a non story. If anything it makes BP look bad, but it has no effect on anything.
    I don't dispute that every athlete has an ego. My issue with this is that things like this don't need to be said. I'm of the opinion it's not going to be well-received by his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Delete me please
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm pretty stunned by those comments. I just lost some respect for one of my favorite Reds. Really, you got a smaller contract than Votto? You don't say. When BP wins his own MVP award and is one of the best hitters in the game he can complain about Joey getting a bigger contract. Maybe he's been reading Doc in the local rag.

He also had issues with Josh Hamilton when he was here...

14. Likes:

Krawhitham (07-19-2013)

Great.....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

A lot of people had issues with Hamilton, in Texas and in Cincinnati.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Re: Brandon Phillips, our Allstar brat?

You mean this part:

“Joey doesn’t really have a personality. He just goes out there and plays. He’s just Joey, you know what I mean?” says Phillips. “Plain Jane Joey. I hit the ball, I catch the ball, and I make money—that’s Joey. But I bring excitement to the game. I make it interesting. And my teammates love that.”
    or this
    Fortunately, how he feels rarely leads to a two-team donnybrook. It’s usually quotable and entertaining, whether he’s noting “We don’t have no ********s on our team,” or commenting on his relationship with third baseman Todd Frazier (“It’s like a bromance. But he’s the girl, I’m the man.”)
    OR this:
    Because he’s not afraid to be honest. “I thought I was gone. I thought that everything I did for this city—the city that I love—I thought I wasn’t gonna come back.”

This is not the Brandon Phillips fans are accustomed to. His voice is quiet, his face void of that ever-present smile. He’s discussing his contract negotiations prior to the start of last season. His then four-year deal was set to expire following the 2012 season, but after the organization proffered a massive 10-year, $225-million extension to Joey Votto, Phillips’s future with the team was in doubt.

With Phillips hoping to garner a deal in the range of the league’s highest paid second basemen, the numbers weren’t adding up. Rumors were beginning to swirl about Phillips being used as a trade asset later in the season. Quietly, the Reds front office offered him six years for $72.5 million. Phillips says that Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty and team owner Bob Castellini—chairman of Castellini Co., the billion-dollar national produce distributor—made clear it was all the team could offer. Phillips swallowed his pride and signed the deal, though he clearly hasn’t forgotten what he perceived as a slight.

“To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened,” he says. “For [Castellini] to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face.

Phillips’s voice trails off as he shakes his head again. It’s not in his nature to be serious for this long. “But how can someone slap you in the face with all that money?” he finally says, the smile returning to its rightful location. “It’s a nice slap in the face.”

In the end, Phillips got more money than is stolen in most heist films and he got to stay in the city he’s made his home.

“Number one, the fans love me here. I love it here. It’s a blessing. It shows that [the team] invested a lot of money in me to go out there and do my job, and to keep representing the Reds in a positive way,” he says. “I feel like that’s the only reason I got that deal—if they didn’t feel I was important to the city, then I wouldn’t still be here.”

Pause.

“That, and I probably would have said some **** on Twitter.”
    Last edited by klw; 07-19-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Re: Brandon Phillips, our Allstar brat?

Now we have three threads lol

Even when I disagree with him (which I definitely do here), I still think BP's straightforwardness - some would say cockiness - is an asset to the team. His amazing defense and pretty good offense is one thing, but the way he relates to the fans, his pride in being a Red, and his energy make comments like these endurable.

20. Likes:

Brisco (07-19-2013),CrackerJack (07-19-2013),dwyerbrg (07-19-2013),Kiko (07-20-2013),Stingray (07-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?