Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: Brandon Phillips, our Allstar brat?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    The comparison starts and stops based on knee jerk reactions to a flamboyant player being in the same city who play two totally different sports, from two totally different upbringings, and live separate lives.

Ocho has craved attention anyway he can get it even through national television. He didn't run correct routes, he created elaborate touchdown dances that lost his team yardage, and he committed a crime.

Phillips has never broken a rule for his own attention, he has never tried his hand in TV, and as far as I recall never committed a crime.
    Brandon? Good game tonight man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

I was very impressed with Votto's comments about the situation. He clearly has a lot of respect for Brandon and wants to see this whole thing go away.

4. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-19-2013),Boss-Hog (07-20-2013),cincrazy (07-19-2013),Kiko (07-20-2013),Stingray (07-20-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I was very impressed with Votto's comments about the situation. He clearly has a lot of respect for Brandon and wants to see this whole thing go away.
    Joey is more than smart enough to realize that it is a stupid non-issue.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

6. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Joey is more than smart enough to realize that it is a stupid non-issue.
    As we all should be.

8. Likes:

Stingray (07-20-2013)

Ok, I just read the entire article, which everyone else needs to do. The full article really sheds light on how much he thoroughly enjoys being a Red and how much he has taken to Cincinnati. And you know what, I almost, sorta, kinda agree with him about his contract. He was, and is, one of the game's premiere 2B who was up against free agency. He wanted a new contract with the Reds and what happens? They sign Votto to a MASSIVE deal. Yea, I can see why that'd upset someone. And you know what? He just said, honestly at that, what we would be saying in the same situation. I've got no beef with the guy...people are only criticizing because they can. The way I look at it, there is no other 2B that would be a better fit with the Reds organization than Phillips.

-Matt

10. Likes:

Kiko (07-20-2013),lollipopcurve (07-20-2013),REDREAD (10-18-2013)

[QUOTE=mattfeet;2912837]Ok, I just read the entire article, which everyone else needs to do. The full article really sheds light on how much he thoroughly enjoys being a Red and how much he has taken to Cincinnati. And you know what, I almost, sorta, kinda agree with him about his contract. He was, and is, one of the game's premiere 2B who was up against free agency. He wanted a new contract with the Reds and what happens? They sign Votto to a MASSIVE deal. Yea, I can see why that'd upset someone. And you know what? He just said, honestly at that, what we would be saying in the same situation. I've got no beef with the guy...people are only criticizing because they can. The way I look at it, there is no other 2B that would be a better fit with the Reds organization than Phillips.

-Matt[/QUOTE
    It comes down to the usual ego stuff. Brandon thinks he is WAY better than he really is. He's a solid baseball player that is signed to a player friendly deal. If he had a better perspective into his own game he would be so much better than he actually is. His ego is the single worst part of his actual game and that's the part that I care about.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

12. Likes:

Hubba (07-20-2013),mth123 (07-20-2013)

Brandon thinks he's one of the top 2B in the game........because he is.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Sure but Joey is one of the best players in all of baseball. Brandon is simply not in his class but very very few are. The Reds made Brandon a $12M a year player through his 37 YO season. He might have been able to get more on the open market but not much more and not any where near Votto money.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think someone needs to sit down and explain OPS and WAR to Brandon.

Brandon is clearly the better athlete....and certainly better with baseball acumen and instincts.

Problem is, Joey delivers what matters the most.....driven mostly by a good eye and good power. He is a mediocre defender, and downright lousy baserunner.....but his rare hitting abilities put him in an entirely different league as Brandon.

Those traits also pay the best too, and I think Brandon's hurt feelings are just a misunderstanding of his true value compared to Votto's.
    I don't think anyone should actually attempt to explain that stuff to Brandon but in a perfect world yeah this is spot on.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Definitely towards the bottom end of the top 10, but he's certainly. Pretty well rounded.

When his contract was extended he was coming off a career high offense year, definitely in the top 5 2b in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Definitely towards the bottom end of the top 10, but he's certainly. Pretty well rounded.

When his contract was extended he was coming off a career high offense year, definitely in the top 5 2b in MLB.

BP has tied his RBI's from last year at 77

Dude has an ego though! Who doesn't?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

This was really dumb on Brandon's part on many levels already pointed out on this thread. However, I can't help but think that a few members of the Big Red Machine would have probably said things this dumb if they played in the age of twitter and mass media. Egos in U-Hauls.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    This was really dumb on Brandon's part on many levels already pointed out on this thread. However, I can't help but think that a few members of the Big Red Machine would have probably said things this dumb if they played in the age of twitter and mass media. Egos in U-Hauls.
    Oh yeah!

There were some huge egos on the BRM, and Rose and Morgan were two of the biggest. I don't think they really cared much for each other (IMO), but respected each other for their talents, and set that aside when it came time to stepping onto that playing field.

The media (and fans) will try to make more of this BP thing more then what it really is. Baseball has always had it's loud mouths spouting off. But as long as they gave it their all on that field, contributed, and came through, I could care less.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Oh yeah!

There were some huge egos on the BRM, and Rose and Morgan were two of the biggest. I don't think they really cared much for each other (IMO), but respected each other for their talents, and set that aside when it came time to stepping onto that playing field.

The media (and fans) will try to make more of this BP thing more then what it really is. Baseball has always had it's loud mouths spouting off. But as long as they gave it their all on that field, contributed, and came through, I could care less.
    Absolutely. Ken Griffey Sr.was quoted in Joe Posnanski's "The Machine" as calling Bench and Morgan "jerks" (actually his language was a bit stronger than that ). I would have loved to have played on the BRM but in reading Posnanski's book I also decided that I would have probably wanted to have slugged Bench, Morgan and Rose during the '75 season had I been their teammate-all three of them could be insufferable egotistical jerks.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Votto is gonna manage this team one day.

Turn Off Ads?