Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

From the same article. Doesn't make up for what he said right before, but definitely softens the blow, imo.

Phillips’s voice trails off as he shakes his head again. It’s not in his nature to be serious for this long. “But how can someone slap you in the face with all that money?” he finally says, the smile returning to its rightful location. “It’s a nice slap in the face.”

In the end, Phillips got more money than is stolen in most heist films and he got to stay in the city he’s made his home.

“Number one, the fans love me here. I love it here. It’s a blessing. It shows that [the team] invested a lot of money in me to go out there and do my job, and to keep representing the Reds in a positive way,” he says. “I feel like that’s the only reason I got that deal—if they didn’t feel I was important to the city, then I wouldn’t still be here.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Phillips is a supreme narcissist and now its just beyond dispute. It's easy to see much of what he does is phoney and self serving and repellent. Fortunately being selfish in baseball usually helps the team.

When I read Arroyo's remark about how he does not really interact with his teammates or is not as outgoing in the clubhouse/dugout, in comparison of how he is with fans, the community and media......I posted my opinion about how this could be looked at as phony, or to some extent of that with his teammates. I was admonished by a few ...like this was no big deal or how would I know how this looks. Well this does not look any better, in fact it looks worse.

He needs to grow up and learn how to be a man and a gentleman. He does himself, his team, and his image no good with this stuff. It's one thing to have those feelings. It's totally wrong to vomit them all over everyone. It lingers.

It's not like the contracts aren't public. I could understand the gall a bit more if he started outting personal information.

Joey won't care. The front office won't. And Brandon's still going to get his pay. It may seem consequential, but it's not. To me it's that Brandon views himself as not just an athlete but an entertainer, an ambassador, a twitter handle, someone the fans come to see, despite the fact that Votto outproduces circles around him. Votto's kind of icy, by contrast. I think there's a perception of worth gap.

Phillips always has been and always will be all about himself. He can't stand it when somebody else on the team gets in HIS spotlight. Unfortunately, as much of a slap in the face as his new contract was, he really isn't as good as the money he is making...

Whatever, more of the same.

Bum

7. Likes:

mth123 (07-19-2013)

Every single player in the Majors are trying to get 'theirs' on payday. Why should Phillips be treated any different just because he's publicly man enough to admit it? I venture to say there's not a single person on this forum that hasn't harbored similar feelings when passed up for a promotion or made to wait in line at work while someone else gets prioritized ahead of them. He's hardly unique in this aspect. These are feelings probably every single person here has had at one time or another.

I, for one, appreciate honestly from athletes. It's refreshing not to hear politically correct, PR-guided soundbites.

Probably wasn't a smart thing to say, but honest nonetheless.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-19-2013),NebraskaRed (07-19-2013),OUReds (07-19-2013)

That kind of honesty can cause a lot of problems when you are playing a team sport and have to be around guys every day, particularly when things aren't going as well as planned. Better left in his back pocket in my opinion.

Still love BP.

Taken with a grain of salt. Last year FS OHIO did a bit on Phillips. He smiled ear to ear when he told the camera "I've made 100 Million dollars playing this game..." and he conveyed that he was pretty content.

He's grateful about his paycheck. Remember, this is a magazine article written by a journalist. If you're in journalism and you're not taking quotes out of context to write a controversial or "juicy" story, then you're not doing your job.

I think he could've been more gracious about Votto and I think matters like this with ownership should be handled privately. I don't think Phillips said anything crazy. The larger problem is that what he said is provocative. Fans and media and even ownership and teammates probably all have differing opinions about it and included in that will be many negative ones. I think the teammate one matters most. If the teammates don't care, then I think all is well. If he quickly becomes viewed as a cancer and is toxic to the team, then that is very very bad.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-19-2013 at 12:51 PM.

14. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Even when I disagree with him (which I definitely do here), I still think BP's straightforwardness - some would say cockiness - is an asset to the team. His amazing defense and pretty good offense is one thing, but the way he relates to the fans, his pride in being a Red, and his energy make comments like these endurable.
    My thoughts exactly. I just don't care. Castellini might not care for it, but that's his problem, not mine.

I have no idea why this would be something that would cause any sort of distraction for his teammates either.

It's purely something for the sports media people, who are waiting for an athlete to say something remotely controversial, so that they have something to talk about, to get excited over I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think he could've been more gracious about Votto and I think matters like this with ownership should be handled privately. I don't think Phillips said anything crazy. The larger problem is that what he said is provocative. Fans and media and even ownership and teammates probably all have differing opinions about it and included in that will be many negative ones. I think the teammate one matters most. If the teammates don't care, then I think all is well. If he quickly becomes viewed as a cancer and is toxic to the team, then that is very very bad.
    This.

He's a talented player, and as long as he continues to perform and the team does well, things usually take care of themselves. Let him and the team start slipping and "the act" grows tired. Hope he remains the guy that the other teams love to hate. Hope it doesn't creep in to his own locker room.

Votto's reaction to the article:

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-19-2013),jhu1321 (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),NebraskaRed (07-19-2013),Raisor (07-19-2013),Slyder (07-19-2013),Tom Servo (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    This.

He's a talented player, and as long as he continues to perform and the team does well, things usually take care of themselves. Let him and the team start slipping and "the act" grows tired.
    Indeed. See: Johnson, Chad.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Brandon Phillips is the subject of a feature article in the upcoming issue of Cincinnati Magazine. It was a decent article, but there was a section of it that really rubbed me the wrong way:

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/fe...spx?ID=2007148

I love Brandon Phillips. He's always been one of my favorite players because of his style of play, but it seems that his ego is coming out again. The Reds need to focus on playing good baseball right now, rather than be distracted by the drama these types of comments tend to stir up.
    This is the same problem, the same double-edged sword Phillips has always had. What enables him to be as good as he is is his steadfast belief that he's the best -- even if his current performance may not justify that. And more than anything else in the world, he wants people to recognize him as such.

And I imagine that's how many, many athletes feel. What differentiates Phillips from many other athletes is he doesn't have the humility/good sense to keep it to himself. He's kind of like a Ron Artest type (without the craziness) -- very good, very valuable player in his prime who can't accept that, at the end of the day, he's not the guy and who struggles publicly with that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

21. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),reds1869 (07-19-2013),Tom Servo (07-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?