Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

BP needs the spotlight on him.

What does this article do? It puts the spotlight on him.

Why did he tweet it out? Because he knows people will talk about it, which will put the spotlight on him.

The guy is no different from Chad Johnson. When his production starts to slide (and it will, SOON) his act will grow real old real fast. Phillips portrays a certain image, and he has the art of PR mastered.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Phillips stands by comments, Votto has his back

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

Re: Brandon Phillips, our Allstar brat?

Why can't people just enjoy the two players?

It's sad that the world has evolved into this unconscious snap judgement.

Phillips is intelligent and honest that is Phillips.

Votto is intelligent and quiet that is Votto.

Let them livvvvvvve!

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    BP needs the spotlight on him.

What does this article do? It puts the spotlight on him.

Why did he tweet it out? Because he knows people will talk about it, which will put the spotlight on him.

The guy is no different from Chad Johnson. When his production starts to slide (and it will, SOON) his act will grow real old real fast. Phillips portrays a certain image, and he has the art of PR mastered.
    This is baseless and a horrible comparison.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    This is baseless and a horrible comparison.
    I think for the most part, it is a darn accurate comparison.

I also had no problems at all with most of what Chad did as a Bengal.

Cite some comparisons then?

Cite some comparisons then?
    Both want the spotlight on them and have vocalized about it when it was on someone else.

The comparison starts and stops based on knee jerk reactions to a flamboyant player being in the same city who play two totally different sports, from two totally different upbringings, and live separate lives.

Ocho has craved attention anyway he can get it even through national television. He didn't run correct routes, he created elaborate touchdown dances that lost his team yardage, and he committed a crime.

Phillips has never broken a rule for his own attention, he has never tried his hand in TV, and as far as I recall never committed a crime.

10. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Both want the spotlight on them and have vocalized about it when it was on someone else.
    Last I checked we all want attention for our successes.

The comparison starts and stops based on knee jerk reactions to a flamboyant player being in the same city who play two totally different sports, from two totally different upbringings, and live separate lives.

Ocho has craved attention anyway he can get it even through national television. He didn't run correct routes, he created elaborate touchdown dances that lost his team yardage, and he committed a crime.

Phillips has never broken a rule for his own attention, he has never tried his hand in TV, and as far as I recall never committed a crime.
    Chad had never committed a crime either when he was in Cincy. I didn't say BP was a bad guy, so I'm not sure where the "horrible" accusation comes from. I enjoy watching him play baseball. I just think he's extremely self-centered. It's not shocking, a lot of guys in pro sports are. But can it create problems sometimes in clubhouses amongst teammeates? Of course. I don't have a problem with Brandon's "swag," or whatever the cool kids call it. But I do have a problem with him publicly pronouncing his jealousy of teammates.

13. Likes:

dougdirt (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013)

The comparison was about their personality. It wasn't about them being the same person.

And yes, we all want our due for our accomplishments. The comparison was that Chad and Brandon seem to be going about it in similar ways at times.

15. Likes:

wolfboy (07-19-2013)

Doubt it took this profile in Cincinnati Magazine for the Reds to learn BP is kind of high maintenance. Walt wouldn't have extended him if they deemed that a problem.

17. Likes:

dougdirt (07-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-20-2013)

Brandon in the article defending himself: "I didn't disrespect nobody, if I did, it's someone in the front office."

I mean... that's ok? If he was thinking rationally, he would think to himself, "Wow, this franchise already shelled out $225 million for Votto, yet they still found room in their budget to keep me?" But instead, he's pissed Votto was taken care of before him. Nevermind the fact that BOTH WERE TAKEN CARE OF, BP wasn't pampered first, so now his feelings are hurt.

Joey Votto takes a very Derek Jeterish approach to defusing clubhouse problems, and I love it. Instead of making this a big deal, he pretty much killed it. But rest assured, everyone in that clubhouse will read that article, and if Votto doesn't have a problem with him, someone else very well might. If you want to be the franchise leader and the face of the city, act like it. Publicly calling out your bosses is never a particularly good trait for anyone to have.

19. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-19-2013)

I doubt that any of this article is a surprise to his teammates. They know Brandon.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),wolfboy (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I doubt that any of this article is a surprise to his teammates. They know Brandon.
    Agreed on this point. Some of them probably find it annoying, but I don't think THIS incident is much of a problem.

However, fast forward 2-3 years from now when BP is hitting .240, has lost range in the field, and is unhappy about being dropped in the lineup... well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it .

He's a great ambassador for the game. He smiles a lot, he's genuinely great with fans, he has a ton of qualities. But there's also another side to him, and when he does stuff like this it's frustrating and causes unnecessary attention away from the field of play.

Turn Off Ads?