Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Boy, the times they have a changed. What's the average salary of a minor league player?
    Assuming they have no MLB time and aren't on the 40-man roster, 800-2200 a month depending on level/experience.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Assuming they have no MLB time and aren't on the 40-man roster, 800-2200 a month depending on level/experience.
    I'm sure he really meant whats the league minimum for someone in the majors.

It truly is a wonder that even adjusted for inflation, how little a super star like Pete Rose was paid.

I read that article, enjoyed it. $4 for a ball game ticket? That's about $14 now. $365,000 annual salary? Somewhere north of $1.2 mil'ish

I wish baseball were that cheap these days, getting more and more expensive to take the family to see a game.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think someone needs to sit down and explain OPS and WAR to Brandon.

Brandon is clearly the better athlete....and certainly better with baseball acumen and instincts.

Problem is, Joey delivers what matters the most.....driven mostly by a good eye and good power. He is a mediocre defender, and downright lousy baserunner.....but his rare hitting abilities put him in an entirely different league as Brandon.

Those traits also pay the best too, and I think Brandon's hurt feelings are just a misunderstanding of his true value compared to Votto's.
    Votto's a better baserunner than Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    Votto's a better baserunner than Phillips.
    That's like saying Ryan Hanigan is faster than Corky Miller

6. Likes:

Always Red (07-21-2013),Ironman92 (07-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I'm sure he really meant whats the league minimum for someone in the majors.

It truly is a wonder that even adjusted for inflation, how little a super star like Pete Rose was paid.

I read that article, enjoyed it. $4 for a ball game ticket? That's about $14 now. $365,000 annual salary? Somewhere north of $1.2 mil'ish

I wish baseball were that cheap these days, getting more and more expensive to take the family to see a game.
    $365,000 in 1977 is actually more than $1.4 Million now. That $4 ticket is the equivalent of $15.41 now. The old prices may sound better, but they really aren't.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    $365,000 in 1977 is actually more than $1.4 Million now. That $4 ticket is the equivalent of $15.41 now. The old prices may sound better, but they really aren't.

True, but that $365K in 1977 was near the top of the scale. $1.4 Million now is chump change for 12th man on the staff types or last guys on the bench.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    True, but that $365K in 1977 was near the top of the scale. $1.4 Million now is chump change for 12th man on the staff types or last guys on the bench.
    Teams weren't getting huge TV deals or multimedia deals either (each team gets $25M a year from the internet deals through MLB Advanced Media). There is a whole lot more money out there for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Teams weren't getting huge TV deals or multimedia deals either (each team gets $25M a year from the internet deals through MLB Advanced Media). There is a whole lot more money out there for everyone.
    Yep. Different world.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

From my take on it Brandon isnt comparing himself to Votto like most of you are making it. Phillips contract was almost done, he was almost out the door; and he said he loved it here. The FO said they didnt have the money... meanwhile they sign Votto to a vottoesque deal while he has years left on his contract. He's not saying he's a better player, but would like to be treated with a certain amount of respect at the table. Who wouldn't be sore about that? We all want the same respect as our peers at work... forget about the money. I feel like many people on this board try to cram Phillips into a Willie Mays Hayes archetype even when it doesn't fit.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-18-2013)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know about Foster, he can be a bit prickly, but then I think some of that came from his religious nature coming off as stand-offish or arrogant, when really it sounded like he was just trying to be "in the world, but not of the world."
    I don't know about a 25-year old Foster, but a Foster in his late 60s is apparently a pretty great guy.

I too have heard first-hand from former teammates that Griffey Sr. what very likeable, but hypersensitive to criticism. If true, it may have been a good thing that he never got the Reds' managing job. I don't think I'd have skin thick enough to do that job, and I'm pretty thick-skinned.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I don't know about a 25-year old Foster, but a Foster in his late 60s is apparently a pretty great guy.

I too have heard first-hand from former teammates that Griffey Sr. what very likeable, but hypersensitive to criticism. If true, it may have been a good thing that he never got the Reds' managing job. I don't think I'd have skin thick enough to do that job, and I'm pretty thick-skinned.
    If my baseball card brain remembers correctly Foster was born in 1948....he is not upper 60's, but point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    If my baseball card brain remembers correctly Foster was born in 1948....he is not upper 60's, but point taken.
    12-1-48, He's 64. Thought he was older. Stick him in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post

1.4 mil might not be so great for ball players , but as a fan $15.41 average price for tickets is near half of today's average ticket prices.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Thanks. For some reason, I thought Foster was older.

Here is the autograph he personalized to me in response to my question about whether he really once said that he liked triple better than home runs because they remind him of taking a woman out on the town for a night of romance.

Attachment 6609
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 07-23-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

18. Likes:

reds44 (07-24-2013),RichRed (07-23-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (10-17-2013),Yachtzee (07-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Thanks. For some reason, I thought Foster was older.

Here is the autograph he personalized to me in response to my question about whether he really once said that he liked triple better than home runs because they remind him of taking a woman out on the town for a night of romance.

Attachment 6609
    Maybe he meant taking triplets out to dinner.

Turn Off Ads?