Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Remember the old line about "Manny being Manny"? I regad this as "Brandon being Brandon." I doubt it winds up being a big deal.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Remember the old line about "Manny being Manny"? I regad this as "Brandon being Brandon." I doubt it winds up being a big deal.
    I think it further isolates him from his teammates that have to spend 4-5 more years putting up with his routine. Then again, maybe the honesty can finally start flowing and they fire back at him.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It seems very few so far have heeded your advice
    I read the whole article. Didn't soften it for me. The positive comments...yeah, I already knew BP was funny and loves playing here. It is the swipes at Votto and ownership that really rubbed me the wrong way, and nothing else he said changed that.

5. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),RadfordVA (07-19-2013),Razor Shines (07-19-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I did, I read the entire thing.

I don't agree that it makes him sound better. He actually did say everything quoted above.
    sorry we're boring

Re: Phillips: Votto contract a slap in the face

I love BP but this is bush league. You don't talk about another player's contract and you certainly don't ***** about a team that just signed you to a new long term deal. If you were that upset, play somewhere else.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

9. Likes:

919191 (07-20-2013),Bumstead (07-19-2013),CySeymour (07-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),mole44 (07-19-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-20-2013),remdog (07-21-2013),TSJ55 (07-19-2013)

I read the whole thing (and provided the link for others to do so) and there certainly wasn't anything in the article that lessened the blow of what he said. I certainly didn't cherry pick anything to make Phillips look bad. He accomplished that all by himself when he targeted Joey and ownership with his comments. The comments were in bad taste and didn't need to be said, period.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Every professional athlete has a gigantic ego, including Votto. This is a non story. If anything it makes BP look bad, but it has no effect on anything.
    How would you know if this does not affect anything in that clubhouse? Like it is a given that it will not.

The plain Jane Joey comments aren't too bad, but you should never ever talk publicly about the money a teammate or co-worker is making. It's unprofessional and I'm sure it won't do him any favors with his teammates. This is not exactly what you want to read.

As I said in the duplicate thread, I love BP, but this is bush league. You don't talk about another guy's contract and you don't ***** about your contract after you sign it.

If signing Joey first was such a slap in the face, sign somewhere else when you're eligible

"I swallowed my pride and signed the $72,500,000 contract."......then I bought Georgia.

15. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (07-19-2013),toledodan (07-19-2013)

Re: Phillips: Votto contract a slap in the face

From the same article.

Phillips’s voice trails off as he shakes his head again. It’s not in his nature to be serious for this long. “But how can someone slap you in the face with all that money?” he finally says, the smile returning to its rightful location. “It’s a nice slap in the face.”

In the end, Phillips got more money than is stolen in most heist films and he got to stay in the city he’s made his home.

“Number one, the fans love me here. I love it here. It’s a blessing. It shows that [the team] invested a lot of money in me to go out there and do my job, and to keep representing the Reds in a positive way,” he says. “I feel like that’s the only reason I got that deal—if they didn’t feel I was important to the city, then I wouldn’t still be here.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    As I said in the duplicate thread, I love BP, but this is bush league. You don't talk about another guy's contract and you don't ***** about your contract after you sign it.

If signing Joey first was such a slap in the face, sign somewhere else when you're eligible
    ++++1 - nobody was holding a gun to his head, if he felt the contract was a slap in the face nobody was stopping him from finishing his contract and going elsewhere.

Kinda wish that is what happened after reading this crap.

He tweeted a link to the magazine cover and seems to be really proud of it. He must be clueless.

I have heard he is very quiet in the dugout and keeps to himself, this will continue.

By the by, I really doubt Votto will care about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    By the by, I really doubt Votto will care about this.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Votto and Brandon talked about this last year and Votto understands where he is coming from.

Turn Off Ads?