Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He must blame Joey personally, the Reds Twitter King refused to promote Joey on his twitter account for the "FACE of the MLB" twitter contest. The Reds also did photos and videos of other players asking fans to vote Votto, BP also refused to participate in their campaign for the contest.

Makes one wonder how happy the clubhouse is and really how long until the Reds trade BP
    If we trade BP who is going to drive in runs...how are we going to score...is the walk king going to drive them in??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There's no other way to say it -- Phillips comes off looking like an egocentric baby in this article. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising to see this sort of thing leak out, though. The team is under performing this season, and it's usually in seasons like this where the "ME, ME, ME" stuff always seems to leak out
    They have a 5 game lead on the last wildcard spot
    8th best record in all of baseball (1 win away from 6th best)
    5th best Run differential in baseball

They have done this without their cleanup hitter and their #1 pitcher

4. Likes:

reds44 (07-19-2013)

Thank lord they play tonight so the millionaire soap opera can commence with why we actually care about these people's opinions.

6. Likes:

919191 (07-20-2013),mth123 (07-19-2013),reds44 (07-19-2013),redsmetz (07-19-2013),Tom Servo (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Sure, it could. That's not really in dispute. But that doesn't explain the backlash by fans criticizing him for said comments. I suppose it's up to his teammates as to whether these comments are a big deal. My hunch is they are not.

I agree he was better off not saying them. But it doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with him feeling that way. I'd like to meet the first person that has never had resentment or jealousy about a work-related matter, especially when it comes to money.
    Hope your guess is right. As far as having resentment and jealousy, it is always better to keep it to yourself. Nobody really wants to hear that crap, it more often than not causes more problems, and it particularly grates on a lot of folks when you hear someone complaining about money when they are making the kind of money Phillips is making. Insulted by that kind of money? Give me a break.

8. Likes:

RedEye (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    If we trade BP who is going to drive in runs...how are we going to score...is the walk king going to drive them in??
    Apparently whoever is in the 4 hole, he only has a WAR of 2.0

If he is traded one would think it would be for a good hitting OF, who could slide right in the 4 hole

And I do not think he will be traded mid season unless this story really blows up.

You mean the guy who had 84 RBI's two years in a row and then 113 and 103 the two years after that?

Probably, but thanks for asking

11. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-19-2013),RedEye (07-19-2013),Stingray (07-20-2013),Tom Servo (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Cause he's crying about sucking it up to sign his $72,500,000 contract....who wants to hear that?
    It's all relative. Someone making 17k can complain about not making 35k. Someone making 40k can complain about not making 75k. Someone making 75k can complain about not making 125k. He feels he is worth more than they offered. I don't see what's wrong with voicing that opinion, especially if the journalist asked.

The only wrong move here, in my opinion, is that he compared his contract to Votto's. Complain about your own contract all you want, but there's no need to bring in someone else the way Phillips did.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do most casual fans check Cincinnati.com for Reds info or twitter for Reds info?
    Sure, that's where most of the casual fans would go, I think, it's otherwise known as the online version of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    It's all relative. Someone making 17k can complain about not making 35k. Someone making 40k can complain about not making 75k. Someone making 75k can complain about not making 125k. He feels he is worth more than they offered. I don't see what's wrong with voicing that opinion, especially if the journalist asked.

The only wrong move here, in my opinion, is that he compared his contract to Votto's. Complain about your own contract all you want, but there's no need to bring in someone else the way Phillips did.
    If he feels like he was worth more than they offered, then there was an easy way to remedy that - test the market and see if he was right. I, for one, think his contract is at market if not over market for a person of his production and age.

Where BP really goes off the rails is by suggesting that Reds management was under no time pressure to extend Votto when they did. He's wrong, it was important for the Reds to learn when they did whether he was going to be around. If he was adamant about going to free agency, then the Reds would have had to consider trading him when he would have still brought a material return. Plus, given the dollars that Joey would command, knowing if he would or would not be in the budget for the next decade substantially informed what the Reds would be able to do with everyone else, including BP. He's crazy if he thinks the Reds handed out $250MM gratuitously and without any business justification for the timing.

15. Likes:

RedEye (07-19-2013)

I really don't blame Phillips for being a little offended that Votto got more.

We're all outsiders looking in, so we can be objective.

Everyone has had the experience of feeling underappreciated at work, or getting passed over a promotion while someone they feel inferior gets ahead. It's not a good feeling.

Phillips has been with the club a long time, and he's been very loyal. He's human. He was basically the Reds #2 priority after Joey. Not saying it's justified, but I can understand where he's coming from.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think someone needs to sit down and explain OPS and WAR to Brandon.

Brandon is clearly the better athlete....and certainly better with baseball acumen and instincts.

Problem is, Joey delivers what matters the most.....driven mostly by a good eye and good power. He is a mediocre defender, and downright lousy baserunner.....but his rare hitting abilities put him in an entirely different league as Brandon.

Those traits also pay the best too, and I think Brandon's hurt feelings are just a misunderstanding of his true value compared to Votto's.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

18. Likes:

BRM13 (07-20-2013),Razor Shines (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He must blame Joey personally, the Reds Twitter King refused to promote Joey on his twitter account for the "FACE of the MLB" twitter contest. The Reds also did photos and videos of other players asking fans to vote Votto, BP also refused to participate in their campaign for the contest.

Makes one wonder how happy the clubhouse is and really how long until the Reds trade BP
    Choo will bring them together.

20. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-20-2013)

Bobby Doer:

"That Ted Williams, can't believe he got his before I got mine."

Nah... never would have happened.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Boo this post.

23. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),BRM13 (07-20-2013),Caveat Emperor (07-20-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-20-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-20-2013),pahster (07-19-2013),Raisor (07-19-2013),Razor Shines (07-19-2013),RedEye (07-19-2013),reds44 (07-19-2013),RedsManRick (07-19-2013),Stingray (07-20-2013),tomnuetten (07-19-2013),westofyou (07-19-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Hope your guess is right. As far as having resentment and jealousy, it is always better to keep it to yourself. Nobody really wants to hear that crap, it more often than not causes more problems, and it particularly grates on a lot of folks when you hear someone complaining about money when they are making the kind of money Phillips is making. Insulted by that kind of money? Give me a break.
    I didn't construe it as being about the amount of money, but rather the priority of giving $200 million to a guy that wasn't a free agent for two more years when the club had been previously indicating they didn't have the money to give a large contract.

If your employer said they didn't have money to spend and you see them grant a large contract to a coworker, wouldn't that rub you the wrong way? It was more about the principle, I think, than the actual amount.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

25. Likes:

REDREAD (07-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?