Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Votto is gonna manage this team one day.
    Nope, that will be Corky Miller.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

2. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Nope, that will be Corky Miller.
    Nope, in my world that will be Ryan Hanigan

5. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Absolutely. Ken Griffey Sr.was quoted in Joe Posnanski's "The Machine" as calling Bench and Morgan "jerks" (actually his language was a bit stronger than that ). I would have loved to have played on the BRM but in reading Posnanski's book I also decided that I would have probably wanted to have slugged Bench, Morgan and Rose during the '75 season had I been their teammate-all three of them could be insufferable egotistical jerks.
    I have no doubt that Bench, Morgan and Rose could be jerks, but lets be honest in that both Griffey Sr and Jr were over sensitive on many things.

First of all after reading the article I can understand where Brandon is coming from, he wanted to remain with the Reds, they were telling him they had no money and then sign Votto to a top 5 contract. He was upset as they were not shooting straight with him, however he ended up with a great contract and he has no complaints about how it all worked out.

Also Brandon is signed to an all star caliber contract of around $12 per year for 6 years. He'll end up making around $100 million for his career which is pretty good for a baseball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I have no doubt that Bench, Morgan and Rose could be jerks, but lets be honest in that both Griffey Sr and Jr were over sensitive on many things.
    Based on accounts from people who have had encounters with Bench, Morgan, and Rose, they still are jerks. I imagine if one were to have dinner and drinks with them, Bench wouldn't want to talk about anything, would be constantly looking at his watch and bail early, saying "listen kid, I got a lot to do." Morgan would talk about himself and belittle anything you said that he didn't agree with. Rose would have some fun stories, but would run up a huge tab and stick you with the bill, and if you have a hot wife or girlfriend, he'd probably ignore you and talk to her the whole time.

If I were to have dinner with members of the BRM, I'd probably choose Perez, Concepcion, and Foster.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-18-2013), traderumor (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Nope, in my world that will be Ryan Hanigan
    And I'm going to throw Cairo into the mix.

11. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-20-2013)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Some thoughts on the article:

The writer begs the question regarding the "boring" nature of the players on this team. Chapman boring? Votto dropping f bombs? Frazier and Teddy? Mat Latos' tattoos? Homer Bailey tossing no-hitters and feuding with Marty B? Is "interesting" really about fake, cheesy smiles and laughs like Nick Swisher? Or preparing the dirt on the mound by hand like The Bird? BP is analogous to Pete on the BRM, and is that why the multitudes remember the BRM? Just a shallow premise that he dives off the low dive in the shallow end with.

On the Votto contract, so BP has a chip on his shoulder. Gee, there's a new find in the human condition. Has he never heard of extensions and prioritizing the signing of players? Didn't his deal happen very shortly after Votto and shock the world? I was more shocked that they came up with his money than I was they locked up Votto. But in the end, he is reflecting and sharing a memory of raw feelings. I think his feelings are valid, but they lack understanding of the order of things. While it should come down to "am I paid what I am worth," it comes down to being first for him. Just a personality flaw that is a two-sided coin and probably makes him work very hard at being the best at his position (not saying he is, but that he strives for that).
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

13. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (07-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Based on accounts from people who have had encounters with Bench, Morgan, and Rose, they still are jerks. I imagine if one were to have dinner and drinks with them, Bench wouldn't want to talk about anything, would be constantly looking at his watch and bail early, saying "listen kid, I got a lot to do." Morgan would talk about himself and belittle anything you said that he didn't agree with. Rose would have some fun stories, but would run up a huge tab and stick you with the bill, and if you have a hot wife or girlfriend, he'd probably ignore you and talk to her the whole time.

If I were to have dinner with members of the BRM, I'd probably choose Perez, Concepcion, and Foster.
    Great illustrations! I have to disagree on something, though. I don't think it would matter to Pete if she was hot, just that she was female, and he'd be flirting.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

15. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post

You are probably correct. In Posnanski's book Perez and Foster particularly come off as likeable guys.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    You are probably correct. In Posnanski's book Perez and Foster particularly come off as likeable guys.
    I don't know about Foster, he can be a bit prickly, but then I think some of that came from his religious nature coming off as stand-offish or arrogant, when really it sounded like he was just trying to be "in the world, but not of the world."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know about Foster, he can be a bit prickly, but then I think some of that came from his religious nature coming off as stand-offish or arrogant, when really it sounded like he was just trying to be "in the world, but not of the world."
    From what I've read Foster is a bit of an introvert, which can sometimes be misinterpreted by people as being stand-offish.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Why can't BP just shut up and play. If he wants more money, then put up better numbers. Nobody forced him to re-sign here.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Why can't BP just shut up and play. If he wants more money, then put up better numbers. Nobody forced him to re-sign here.
    This is akin to asking: "Why can't Joey Votto be a loudmouth?"

BP loves to talk. I can't believe any Reds' fan is surprised by this. If Votto truly isn't upset by BP's comments (and he sounds sincere that he's not), this is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This is akin to asking: "Why can't Joey Votto be a loudmouth?"

BP loves to talk. I can't believe any Reds' fan is surprised by this. If Votto truly isn't upset by BP's comments (and he sounds sincere that he's not), this is a non-issue.
    Agree. But, if he had a problem with Votto's signing then take it to Walt and Bob....not to the media. As for being lied to: I would speculate every MLB team has the same issue. Not the right kind of publicity for your team, imo.

BP wants to win. He should have been, and probably was, happy to see Votto signed long term.

23. Likes:

mattfeet (07-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?