Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 294

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

  1. #196
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,246

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Boy, the times they have a changed. What's the average salary of a minor league player?
    Assuming they have no MLB time and aren't on the 40-man roster, 800-2200 a month depending on level/experience.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #197
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    532

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Assuming they have no MLB time and aren't on the 40-man roster, 800-2200 a month depending on level/experience.
    I'm sure he really meant whats the league minimum for someone in the majors.

    It truly is a wonder that even adjusted for inflation, how little a super star like Pete Rose was paid.

    I read that article, enjoyed it. $4 for a ball game ticket? That's about $14 now. $365,000 annual salary? Somewhere north of $1.2 mil'ish

    I wish baseball were that cheap these days, getting more and more expensive to take the family to see a game.

  4. #198
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    59

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think someone needs to sit down and explain OPS and WAR to Brandon.

    Brandon is clearly the better athlete....and certainly better with baseball acumen and instincts.

    Problem is, Joey delivers what matters the most.....driven mostly by a good eye and good power. He is a mediocre defender, and downright lousy baserunner.....but his rare hitting abilities put him in an entirely different league as Brandon.

    Those traits also pay the best too, and I think Brandon's hurt feelings are just a misunderstanding of his true value compared to Votto's.
    Votto's a better baserunner than Phillips.

  5. #199
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    Votto's a better baserunner than Phillips.
    That's like saying Ryan Hanigan is faster than Corky Miller

  6. Likes:

    Always Red (07-21-2013), Ironman92 (07-21-2013)

  7. #200
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,464

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I'm sure he really meant whats the league minimum for someone in the majors.

    It truly is a wonder that even adjusted for inflation, how little a super star like Pete Rose was paid.

    I read that article, enjoyed it. $4 for a ball game ticket? That's about $14 now. $365,000 annual salary? Somewhere north of $1.2 mil'ish

    I wish baseball were that cheap these days, getting more and more expensive to take the family to see a game.
    $365,000 in 1977 is actually more than $1.4 Million now. That $4 ticket is the equivalent of $15.41 now. The old prices may sound better, but they really aren't.

    http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

  8. #201
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    $365,000 in 1977 is actually more than $1.4 Million now. That $4 ticket is the equivalent of $15.41 now. The old prices may sound better, but they really aren't.

    http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
    True, but that $365K in 1977 was near the top of the scale. $1.4 Million now is chump change for 12th man on the staff types or last guys on the bench.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  9. #202
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,246

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    True, but that $365K in 1977 was near the top of the scale. $1.4 Million now is chump change for 12th man on the staff types or last guys on the bench.
    Teams weren't getting huge TV deals or multimedia deals either (each team gets $25M a year from the internet deals through MLB Advanced Media). There is a whole lot more money out there for everyone.

  10. #203
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Teams weren't getting huge TV deals or multimedia deals either (each team gets $25M a year from the internet deals through MLB Advanced Media). There is a whole lot more money out there for everyone.
    Yep. Different world.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #204
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    columbus
    Posts
    112

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    From my take on it Brandon isnt comparing himself to Votto like most of you are making it. Phillips contract was almost done, he was almost out the door; and he said he loved it here. The FO said they didnt have the money... meanwhile they sign Votto to a vottoesque deal while he has years left on his contract. He's not saying he's a better player, but would like to be treated with a certain amount of respect at the table. Who wouldn't be sore about that? We all want the same respect as our peers at work... forget about the money. I feel like many people on this board try to cram Phillips into a Willie Mays Hayes archetype even when it doesn't fit.

  12. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-18-2013)

  13. #205
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,811

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know about Foster, he can be a bit prickly, but then I think some of that came from his religious nature coming off as stand-offish or arrogant, when really it sounded like he was just trying to be "in the world, but not of the world."
    I don't know about a 25-year old Foster, but a Foster in his late 60s is apparently a pretty great guy.

    I too have heard first-hand from former teammates that Griffey Sr. what very likeable, but hypersensitive to criticism. If true, it may have been a good thing that he never got the Reds' managing job. I don't think I'd have skin thick enough to do that job, and I'm pretty thick-skinned.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  14. #206
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,891

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I don't know about a 25-year old Foster, but a Foster in his late 60s is apparently a pretty great guy.

    I too have heard first-hand from former teammates that Griffey Sr. what very likeable, but hypersensitive to criticism. If true, it may have been a good thing that he never got the Reds' managing job. I don't think I'd have skin thick enough to do that job, and I'm pretty thick-skinned.
    If my baseball card brain remembers correctly Foster was born in 1948....he is not upper 60's, but point taken.

  15. #207
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    If my baseball card brain remembers correctly Foster was born in 1948....he is not upper 60's, but point taken.
    12-1-48, He's 64. Thought he was older. Stick him in LF.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  16. #208
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    532

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    $365,000 in 1977 is actually more than $1.4 Million now. That $4 ticket is the equivalent of $15.41 now. The old prices may sound better, but they really aren't.

    http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
    1.4 mil might not be so great for ball players , but as a fan $15.41 average price for tickets is near half of today's average ticket prices.

  17. #209
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,811

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Thanks. For some reason, I thought Foster was older.

    Here is the autograph he personalized to me in response to my question about whether he really once said that he liked triple better than home runs because they remind him of taking a woman out on the town for a night of romance.

    Name:  foster autograph.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  98.2 KB
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 07-23-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  18. Likes:

    reds44 (07-24-2013), RichRed (07-23-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (10-17-2013), Yachtzee (07-23-2013)

  19. #210
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,172

    Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Thanks. For some reason, I thought Foster was older.

    Here is the autograph he personalized to me in response to my question about whether he really once said that he liked triple better than home runs because they remind him of taking a woman out on the town for a night of romance.

    Name:  foster autograph.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  98.2 KB
    Maybe he meant taking triplets out to dinner.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  20. Likes:

    cincinnati chili (08-13-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25