Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: Phillips: Votto contract a slap in the face

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    There's more to it than is quoted here. Phillips takes the edge off with stuff he says later. Read the full article to get the full picture.
    But he should know better than to even say what he said. BP has always lived in a world of sound bites and used it to great advantage. It goes both ways and he made some major missteps in that interview. The tongue-in-cheek sideswipe at ownership probably won't play well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Dumb, dumb stuff to say in a magazine article, or anywhere for that matter. BP did himself no favors with this. I don't have much of an ego, but if be hacked off if a co-worker of mine said this publicly. I can't believe how dumb this is. Wow.

There's more to it than is quoted here. Phillips takes the edge off with stuff he says later. Read the full article to get the full picture.
    I read the full article... and I don't feel like the edge got taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Comments like these will make it incredibly difficult to relate to fans who will find it incredibly difficult to relate to someone that thinks a $72.5 million contract is a "slap in the face."
    I'm a fan, and I don't feel the need to relate to a multimillionaire professional sports star. It's all relative. If Phillips feels that a 72 million dollar contract is a slap in the face, then he has every right to feel like he should be getting paid as much as he's worth. Just like you or I feel we should be paid as much as we are worth.

Now, do I think he should go around and say that? No. It makes him look bad.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

There's no other way to say it -- Phillips comes off looking like an egocentric baby in this article. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising to see this sort of thing leak out, though. The team is under performing this season, and it's usually in seasons like this where the "ME, ME, ME" stuff always seems to leak out.

I hope he's ready for the consequences. I suspect he'll discover that goodwill and a good public persona takes years to build, and seconds to tear down.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

7. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-19-2013),remdog (07-21-2013),texasdave (07-19-2013)

We beat them up fwhen they don't speak their mind and we beat them up when they do.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

757690 (07-19-2013),bigredmechanism (07-19-2013),Larry Schuler (07-19-2013),lollipopcurve (07-19-2013),Red Raindog (07-19-2013),REDREAD (07-19-2013),Roy Tucker (07-19-2013),TSJ55 (07-19-2013),WildcatFan (07-20-2013)

an interview like this isnīt the best thing for team chemestry either...

why on earth did he started to talk about it now? It doesnīt make sence at all, if you want to make it public (I donīt like that point at all) than make it public the moment it happend...

say that you like to get a 5 year contract but you are a little bit disappointed about the timing and case closed...

now we talk about something like that in the middle of the season while the players should concentrate on baseball...

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm a fan, and I don't feel the need to relate to a multimillionaire professional sports star. It's all relative. If Phillips feels that a 72 million dollar contract is a slap in the face, then he has every right to feel like he should be getting paid as much as he's worth. Just like you or I feel we should be paid as much as we are worth.
    You're the one that argued that Phillips has the ability to relate to the fans. I simply pointed out that comments like that will make it difficult for fans to reciprocate.

12. Likes:

Hubba (07-19-2013)

The Reds gave above market rate for both players and both players also get the shot at joining the HOF because of their notoriety and iconoclasm with one team. We know who's got the best shot at the HOF, though.

The only good thing that can happen from this is the whole team gets pissed and starts taking it out on the baseball.

14. Likes:

remdog (07-21-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    We beat them up fwhen they don't speak their mind and we beat them up when they do.
    No, we beat them up when they reveal that they're self-absorbed and willing to talk down a teammate to justify a perceived slight to themselves.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),bucksfan2 (07-19-2013),Bumstead (07-19-2013),cincrazy (07-19-2013),hebroncougar (07-19-2013),Hubba (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),LoganBuck (07-19-2013),mdccclxix (07-19-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-19-2013),remdog (07-21-2013),texasdave (07-19-2013),The Operator (07-20-2013),Tony Cloninger (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    You're the one that argued that Phillips has the ability to relate to the fans. I simply pointed out that comments like that will make it difficult for fans to reciprocate.
    I meant more along the lines of his interactions with fans (signing things, taking pictures, etc.).

Winning takes care of everything. If he keeps driving in runs and the Reds have a great 2nd half, all will be forgiven (probably not forgotten however). If they play like dogs, this will fester.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He also had issues with Josh Hamilton when he was here...
    .. and when he was asked about Adam Dunn after he was gone, his answer was "who he?"

I remember thinking he was a jerk after that remark and thought he was clearly in the wrong during the Cards brawl fiasco. Since then, he's grown on me. I guess he's just kept it in check.

I'm sure this will blow over and end up being nothing, but I think some people won't forget it.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Read the full article to get the full picture. People will excerpt certain quotes for maximum effect -- and choose not to include other statements which soften that effect.
    It seems very few so far have heeded your advice
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Phillips is a supreme narcissist and now its just beyond dispute. It's easy to see much of what he does is phoney and self serving and repellent. Fortunately being selfish in baseball usually helps the team.

Turn Off Ads?