Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

I didn't hear the conversation. I got back in the car just in time to hear that one comment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Baseball, and all sports really, will never be free of stuff like this, test them, suspend them whatever, but don't pretend you'll ever have a 100 percent clean league.
    Go Gators!

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-06-2013),Tom Servo (08-07-2013),westofyou (08-06-2013)

So it makes sense for A-Rod to stall the suspension as much as possible. He's paid $28 Million in 2013, $25 Million in 2014 and $21 Million in 2015. For every day that he pushes the suspension back into 2015, he saves 25% per day in lost salary. It's all monopoly money at this point, but from a dollar standpoint, it makes most sense to get paid now while the salary is higher and forfeit the money later when the salary goes down. I'd guess his agent is pushing for it to go that way. A rough calculation is that A-Rod would save around $2 Million in lost salary if he can finish out 2013 and push the suspension into 2015 by stalling through the appeals process.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...iguez-and-more

I know this is a Bleacher Report article, but I found it to be pretty well written. I do not think there is one 'right' answer to the PED punishments argument, but I like that Pete is trying to convince the guys to own up to it.

On the radio last night or this morning, I heard that there are probably more clinics out there. This was one that just happened to be caught in Miami.

I think Pete should be allowed to talk to incoming rookies and minor leaguers about cheating and what it does. I am sure his playing style as a player will encourage young players to be adaptable like Pete was and to give it all you got. What makes it more special is that they can realize at the same time what can happen to 'cheaters.' Since most of the PED users caught recently have been minor leaguers, I think this solution would be effective.

At the end of the article there is a YouTube clip from Pete's otherwise awful show, 'Hits and Mrs' which I only watched one episode, but I think what Pete says in the clip is relavent today. Pete owns up to what he did and encourages guys to man up and admit it.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...iguez-and-more

I know this is a Bleacher Report article, but I found it to be pretty well written. I do not think there is one 'right' answer to the PED punishments argument, but I like that Pete is trying to convince the guys to own up to it.

On the radio last night or this morning, I heard that there are probably more clinics out there. This was one that just happened to be caught in Miami.

I think Pete should be allowed to talk to incoming rookies and minor leaguers about cheating and what it does. I am sure his playing style as a player will encourage young players to be adaptable like Pete was and to give it all you got. What makes it more special is that they can realize at the same time what can happen to 'cheaters.' Since most of the PED users caught recently have been minor leaguers, I think this solution would be effective.

At the end of the article there is a YouTube clip from Pete's otherwise awful show, 'Hits and Mrs' which I only watched one episode, but I think what Pete says in the clip is relavent today. Pete owns up to what he did and encourages guys to man up and admit it.
    Why?

He didn't cheat, he broke the rules about gambling, plus he didn't "Man up" for about two decades and only when he came in the guise of being attached to his book.

Maybe MLB should show that episode of his reality show to show what can happen to you if you make bad decisions in life?

They can bookend it with his underwear commercial and the furniture store one with the stupid hat.

Now that would be an effective scared straight segment

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ban him for life and say good bye to labor peace.
    This whole thing isn't really about "cleaning up the game" it's really about weakening the union and exerting power. As long as baseball can hold drugs over the union's head they won't be as strong, because this is an issue that splits the union.

Not to mention that just 20 years ago you had an owner get suspended for trying to buy information about one of his players, now the commissioner is doing just that. I'm not pro-PED, but the way they have went about this just stinks to high heaven.

9. Likes:

joshua (08-08-2013),Revering4Blue (08-07-2013),westofyou (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    This whole thing isn't really about "cleaning up the game" it's really about weakening the union and exerting power. As long as baseball can hold drugs over the union's head they won't be as strong, because this is an issue that splits the union.

Not to mention that just 20 years ago you had an owner get suspended for trying to buy information about one of his players, now the commissioner is doing just that. I'm not pro-PED, but the way they have went about this just stinks to high heaven.
    Dead on

An opinion on this from Leigh Steinberg, if anyone is interested: http://www.dailypilot.com/sports/tn-...,2332827.story

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post

I think this is very valid, but 25 years is a really long time. The world is a completely different place. And I think there is a difference between Steinbrenner's motives and the motives of MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And I think there is a difference between Steinbrenner's motives and the motives of MLB.
    I see no reason to assume this especially given the money at stake today.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

14. Likes:

Always Red (08-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ban him. For life. Send that message to the rest of the players (majors AND minors). IMO this whole PED stuff is FAR worse than anything Rose did. It cuts deeper and will have much bigger and longer lasting effects. They need to enforce the rules and STRENGTHEN the rules. Come down like a sledgehammer and the problem will sort itself out quickly.
    So the Yankees can have a do over and not get penalized for the money they owe him and the luxury tax? Forget that. I am fine with one year, but the Yankees pay up and do not get to start over like everything is cool again.

Thought this thread should be bumped given the rioting and overall destruction of society that occurred in the aftermath.....

Whew. Glad to have PEDs finally out of baseball once and for all. Time for the healing. Time for the healing (which incidentally could probably be sped up with some steroids).
    Last edited by jojo; 08-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    So the Yankees can have a do over and not get penalized for the money they owe him and the luxury tax? Forget that. I am fine with one year, but the Yankees pay up and do not get to start over like everything is cool again.
    I think the best way is that A-Rod doesn't get the money, but the Yankees should be forced to pony up and donate it to charity, with the amount still counting against their luxury threshold.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

18. Likes:

Chip R (08-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?