Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 88

Thread: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

  1. #31
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,619

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well at least one convicted criminal/former Major Leaguer thinks that Johnny Peralta is being selfish for accepting his suspension without appeal.

    http://t.co/Sn6ToZ2xzj
    Is it reasonable to assume the appeals would take that long if he's the only one who appeals, or maybe him and Cruz, other than A-Rod?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Cruz says the only reason he is involved is because he was fighting some whack illness called helicobactor pylori from Nov. 2011 to Jan. 2012.


  4. #33
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's the AP story. Fifty games is not much of a deterent, IMO. All of these guys will be back at the start of next season. Basically getting a couple of months of vacation. Albeit not paid.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-sour...6423--mlb.html
    I'd argue that most of those guys didn't have enough money to be able to afford not being paid for two months.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,849

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Cruz says the only reason he is involved is because he was fighting some whack illness called helicobactor pylori from Nov. 2011 to Jan. 2012.

    It's not a whack illness, it's a bacteria that is the most common cause of stomach ulcers. However, it is an excuse because it is treated with antibiotics, not PEDs. He needs to take responsibility for his actions, rather than making excuses. Pretty ridiculous.

  6. #35
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,795

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well at least one convicted criminal/former Major Leaguer thinks that Johnny Peralta is being selfish for accepting his suspension without appeal.

    http://t.co/Sn6ToZ2xzj
    That's rich, the guy bailed on his team several times post 68, what a putz

  7. Likes:

    Tom Servo (08-05-2013)

  8. #36
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    I haven't had time to watch or read much about this. But won't 50 games allow them to come back for the postseason this year -- if their teams will allow it?

  9. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,849

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I haven't had time to watch or read much about this. But won't 50 games allow them to come back for the postseason this year -- if their teams will allow it?
    Yes. Hopefully, most teams will take the position that the Giants did last year with Cabrera and not allow them to return.

  10. #38
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    It's not a whack illness, it's a bacteria that is the most common cause of stomach ulcers. However, it is an excuse because it is treated with antibiotics, not PEDs. He needs to take responsibility for his actions, rather than making excuses. Pretty ridiculous.
    To be fair, in a situation where you need anti-biotics to heal, those are performance enhancing drugs.

  11. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    168

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    I wonder why they are waiting until Thursday to suspend Rodriguez.

  12. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,849

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, in a situation where you need anti-biotics to heal, those are performance enhancing drugs.
    Not by either medical or MLB definition. The antibiotics are needed only to combat the bacterial infection. The healing process is independent of the drug and dependent on the patient's ability to heal.

  13. Likes:

    Always Red (08-05-2013)

  14. #41
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Not by either medical or MLB definition. The antibiotics are needed only to combat the bacterial infection. The healing process is independent of the drug and dependent on the patient's ability to heal.
    If I am sick and take something that makes me feel better, thus enhancing my performance, it is a performance enhancing drug.

  15. #42
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,056

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    211 games for A-Rod. So if I understand this correctly, that means the rest of this year and next. He could come back in 2015.

    Here's what I don't understand. A-Rod is 38 years old. Say he appeals this suspension and keeps playing for the rest of this season as the process continues. He then gets suspended for 2014 but decides to retire after that. Does that not mean he would effectively get out of 50 games of the punishment?

  16. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,849

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If I am sick and take something that makes me feel better, thus enhancing my performance, it is a performance enhancing drug.
    If you want to play semantics and apply a rather simplistic interpretation to the subject, sure. But I prefer not to apply simplistic interpretations to complex processes.

  17. Likes:

    Always Red (08-05-2013), coachpipe (08-07-2013), danken12 (08-06-2013), RANDY IN INDY (08-06-2013), Redeyecat (08-05-2013)

  18. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    211 games for A-Rod. So if I understand this correctly, that means the rest of this year and next. He could come back in 2015.

    Here's what I don't understand. A-Rod is 38 years old. Say he appeals this suspension and keeps playing for the rest of this season as the process continues. He then gets suspended for 2014 but decides to retire after that. Does that not mean he would effectively get out of 50 games of the punishment?
    He has zero reason to NOT appeal. All he can do is fight to get as much of his money as he possibly can. He's set to take abuse at every single park he visits and I imagine his own teammates don't want him around. (Obviously I'll never know this for certain). His legacy is set and nothing will change it going forward. My bet (and hope) is that he gets embarrassed trying to play at the Major League Level.

    He's above the call of weird however, so I would imagine none of this phases him in the least.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  19. #45
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

    The Yankees will have 2 admitted cheaters in the lineup tonight. But only 1 will get all of the attention.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25