Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

Re: Biogenesis thread- more names to come

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    211 games for A-Rod. So if I understand this correctly, that means the rest of this year and next. He could come back in 2015.

Here's what I don't understand. A-Rod is 38 years old. Say he appeals this suspension and keeps playing for the rest of this season as the process continues. He then gets suspended for 2014 but decides to retire after that. Does that not mean he would effectively get out of 50 games of the punishment?
    Yes, Manny retired and effectively served his suspension by just going away. But why in the world would A-Rod retire with so much money left on his contract?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If I am sick and take something that makes me feel better, thus enhancing my performance, it is a performance enhancing drug.
    I don’t know if cortisone is good for you or not. But to take a shot every other ball game is more than I wanted to do and to walk around with a constant upset stomach because of the pills and to be high half the time during a ball game because you’re taking painkillers … I don’t want to have to do that.

A 1966 press conference explaining why he chose to retire from baseball following the 1966 season,

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yes, Manny retired and effectively served his suspension by just going away. But why in the world would A-Rod retire with so much money left on his contract?
    True, that's a good point. The money might trump everything.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

To be fair, in a situation where you need anti-biotics to heal, those are performance enhancing drugs.
    Yes, caffeine and cocaine and crack are all stimulants, therefore there is no difference
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

6. Likes:

RedEye (08-05-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yes, caffeine and cocaine and crack are all stimulants, therefore there is no difference
    Yep. That is exactly what I said. It is also exactly what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    50 game suspensions handed down

Nelson Cruz
    Jhonny Peralta
    Everth Cabrera
    Jordany Valdespin
    Francisco Cervelli
    Antonio Bastardo
    Fautino De Los Santos
    Jesus Montero
    Cesar Puello
    Sergio Escalona
    Fernando Martinez
    Jordan Noberto
    Say it ain't so Jordan Nobero! I can never trust you at your word again. Ever.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It amazes me the Cardinals organization doesn't have one player on the list.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    It amazes me the Cardinals organization doesn't have one player on the list.
    It's just one clinic in Miami.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Yep. That is exactly what I said. It is also exactly what I meant.
    Fortunately, the real world operates using more narrow categories to ensure that people are not in jail for running a stop sign the same as someone is in jail for running a stop sign while drunk and killing someone. I mean, they are moving violations and no difference should be considered, right? I wonder if at some point you will admit you are engaging in an absurdity? Nah, probably not.

12. Likes:

coachpipe (08-07-2013),Larkin Fan (08-06-2013),RedEye (08-06-2013),westofyou (08-06-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    211 games for A-Rod. So if I understand this correctly, that means the rest of this year and next. He could come back in 2015.

Here's what I don't understand. A-Rod is 38 years old. Say he appeals this suspension and keeps playing for the rest of this season as the process continues. He then gets suspended for 2014 but decides to retire after that. Does that not mean he would effectively get out of 50 games of the punishment?
    Since he's appealing, and the appeal will not be dealt with until the offseason, he gets to keep playing, and keep getting paid, even though he seems (and I admit I do not know everything about this case, nor does any member of the uninformed public) to be the guiltiest one of all?

Doesn't seem right to me.

Retire? Why give up all that money? Make them cut you and still have to pay you.
    sorry we're boring

Glad he appealing, appeal means MLB will have to lay their whole case on the table, against ARod and how they worked a deal to get all this info

I would like to know more and I'm sure the union does as well

15. Likes:

joshua (08-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Since he's appealing, and the appeal will not be dealt with until the offseason, he gets to keep playing, and keep getting paid, even though he seems (and I admit I do not know everything about this case, nor does any member of the uninformed public) to be the guiltiest one of all?

Doesn't seem right to me.

Retire? Why give up all that money? Make them cut you and still have to pay you.
    So, if he loses the appeal, the suspension starts and he doesn't get paid from that point. He's simply stalling. He better bank these last few checks. He'll probably be really hurting and struggling to make ends meet from here on out.

I think what's going to happen with ARod is that the arbitrator will reduce the suspension to 50 games. I think the arbitrator will throw out the coersion and obstruction charges and just keep the 50 game suspension. When you look at it, there was a 50 game suspension for the steroids and a 161 game suspension for obstruction and coersion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think what's going to happen with ARod is that the arbitrator will reduce the suspension to 50 games. I think the arbitrator will throw out the coersion and obstruction charges and just keep the 50 game suspension. When you look at it, there was a 50 game suspension for the steroids and a 161 game suspension for obstruction and coersion.
    I don't think he will get the full 211 games, but it would be a travesty if he gets less time than Braun. I personally think a one-season suspension would be about right, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I have wondered how that Arod admitted to doing steriods in 2001-2003 will weigh in the arbitrators decision? I don't think Arod was ever suspended for admitting this? I'm thinking he will reduce to 100 games. But 50 would not surprise me either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?