10 71.43%
  • Fix the old one

0 0%
  • Get a new laptop/other.

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Issue

Computer Issue

We had a quick flicker of the power. When I tried to turn my comp on it just flickers yellow. A friend has already said the power supply probably kicked the bucket. Would I be better off trying to replace it or replace the whole comp as its more than 7 years old.

So posting this to see if theres anyone more computer savvy on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer Issue

Power supplies are pretty cheap and easy to install, but since the comp was old it's a tough call. If you were planning on getting a new one soon you might as well do it now.

When you turn it on is your pc turning on at all? Strange flickering and picture issues could be a monitor problem. If you have another comp or monitor it might be worth checking to see if your monitor works on a different comp.

You can submit a claim on your homeowner' insurance for a power surge. May or may not be worth it.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

By the way, are you hooked directly into the Matrix?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Power supplies are pretty cheap and easy to install, but since the comp was old it's a tough call. If you were planning on getting a new one soon you might as well do it now.

When you turn it on is your pc turning on at all? Strange flickering and picture issues could be a monitor problem. If you have another comp or monitor it might be worth checking to see if your monitor works on a different comp.
    The flickering was on the tower. rather than a green light when it powers up. It sounds the comp is trying to start up but just doesn't have enough juice.

As Stray said .... power supplies are cheap and very easy to install (believe me, if I can do it anyone can). I'd get the type of power supply, model #, etc., and I guarantee you'll find one cheap on the net. You can even find step-by-step instructions, such as on YouTube, on how to replace them. It's amazing the videos one can find on there. Take the least inexpensive route first. Just because a computer is 7 years old does not mean it's not worth repair if it can be done cheaply.

The computer I'm on right now is 7 years old. Works fine, and serves it's purpose.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-21-2013 at 04:21 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

My brother in law said it could also be the motherboard is partially corrupted.

Computers are cheap buy a new one.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-22-2013), dougdirt (07-21-2013), Larkin Fan (07-21-2013)

Like Raisor said, computers are rather cheap. A few months ago I shopped for a laptop for my mom. For someone who only uses the internet and basic programs, she got everything she needed for under $350.

Power supplies cost about $20-50 plus shipping. Some used parts can be even less. I would fix the power supply first.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

If the computer was doing everything you wanted to before, I would try putting in a new power supply. If you have a Fry's or Microcenter close by, try to get one there. Check the return policy, if the power supply doesn't bring it back to life, return it.

Also, consider upgrading your hard drive.

Blow the dust out with compress air.

Make sure you ground yourself when working inside.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

7 years old, I'd just get a new one. I usually use one about six or seven years tops anyway.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Yeah. At seven years old, I'm tempted to ask whether you regularly feed the mice that run around on the wheel that powers the thing. I had that problem with my last computer.

(well, technically it was the motherboard, but it could have been either one.)

You won't regret upgrading, anyway.

Seven years old in the computer world is ancient. Depending on what all you use for you shoul dbe able to get a good for under $500. Good luck.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

dougdirt (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Seven years old in the computer world is ancient. Depending on what all you use for you shoul dbe able to get a good for under $500. Good luck.
    If he was still using a computer that was 7 years old, he isn't using it for anything that requires a high priced computer.

Turn Off Ads?