10 71.43%
  • Fix the old one

0 0%
  • Get a new laptop/other.

4 28.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Issue

Re: Computer Issue

My desktop and farm laptops are that age. They run a database program and surf the internet. Very rarely they type word documents. Nothing else.

If you upgrade the power supply I might suggest looking to see if you can DIY a marginal memory upgrade. I tripled my memory last year for like $15. The difference was dramatic.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With a computer that old, your bigger problem might be that the operating system is no longer supported and the computer doesn't have the system requirements for an upgrade. So if you replace the the power supply, you might still have to replace the computer is the system files get corrupted.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

4. Likes:

marcshoe (07-22-2013)

With putting 3 kids through HS and college that have needed laptops/PCs, I've nursed along several systems. The problem is, once one thing goes, other components aren't too far behind.

But it is interesting to fix them. Once you understand the core technologies, its not too hard.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    With a computer that old, your bigger problem might be that the operating system is no longer supported and the computer doesn't have the system requirements for an upgrade. So if you replace the the power supply, you might still have to replace the computer is the system files get corrupted.
    XP works fine.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    XP works fine.
    Yes, but regular support for XP is no longer available and next year they end all support, including security updates. If you want to upgrade, you'll have to look into Windows 7 or 8. I would look into the system requirements to see if your computer meets the requirements for running 7 or 8 in case something happens and XP quits on you.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I will probably go Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I will probably go Linux.
    Fair enough.

Turn Off Ads?