One..... Maybe two.
    Who's the other player? Verlander?

I think I'd rather have Votto.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is Votto's Market Value?

Quote Originally Posted by TitosLoveChild View Post
    Who's the other player? Verlander?

I think I'd rather have Votto.
    Mauer is the maybe... Miggy over Votto though.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Someone would be insane NOT to take Cabrera over Votto. Cabrera has that rare blend of power and a high batting average. Cabrera also plays more of a premium position at 3B. I wouldn't however trade Votto for ANY pitcher, because you just never know with those guys from one year to the next if they are going to continue pitching well or get injured...or who knows?
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 09-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Someone would be insane to NOT take Votto over Cabrera. Cabrera has that rare blend of power and a high batting average. Cabrera also plays more of a premium position at 3B. I wouldn't however trade Votto for ANY pitcher, because you just never know with those guys from one year to the next if they are going to continue pitching well or get injured...or who knows?
    Yep.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Am I missing something, or can I not edit my post? I meant to say that someone would be insane to take Votto over Cabrera. (fixed it for ya- Jake)
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 09-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.

"So Fla Red"

Other side of 30 going into 2014 and the Reds are on the hook for $215M over the next ten seasons.

On the open market, I think Joey would get a 6/140 contract this offseason and nothing close to 10/215M. Clearly the Reds are going to overpay on this over the duration of the contract and I still don't understand why the large overpay. I just hope the 3-4 out years aren't franchise crippling and they can extract enough value over the next ~6 years to stay competitive.

I agree that we're overpaying on the deal, but there's something to be said about keeping these career players. I grew up watching the Reds and Barry Larkin. Larkin (and the 1990 World Series) are the main reasons why I've always felt the Reds were my team. Plus, Votto's particular approach to hitting will most likely be maintained over the long term. He may not be hitting them out of the park as often as we'd like, but he's an on base machine.
    Reds record for games attended in 2014: 11-3

Most memorable game attended this season:
    Cueto out-pitching Dickey with a 19 pitch/3 strikeout 9th inning by Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    I agree that we're overpaying on the deal, but there's something to be said about keeping these career players. I grew up watching the Reds and Barry Larkin. Larkin (and the 1990 World Series) are the main reasons why I've always felt the Reds were my team. Plus, Votto's particular approach to hitting will most likely be maintained over the long term. He may not be hitting them out of the park as often as we'd like, but he's an on base machine.
    More worried about Votto's mental make-up, especially as his skills start to fade a bit.
    He's a shy private guy, and he's seems to be a little different.
    He already fades some when the bright lights are on, and I think he would much prefer to be more in the background, and not "THE GUY". But he is the guy because of the huge contract.
    Now I hope I'm totally wrong and he wins a couple more MVP's and carries the REDS to a WS championship or 2 and makes it to the HOF!

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I think Votto has had the better year than Mauer. Higher OBP and SLG. Plus Mauer has missed like 50 games this season.

This might sound harsh, but Votto might have more value if Canadians cared more about baseball and bought more Reds' and Votto merchandise.

Very true. I'd say at this point that we're totally stuck w/ him and his bum knees. He sure is doing one heck of a job this year living up to that fat contract (sarcasm alert).

Sometimes I really hate being RIGHT.
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 05-25-2014 at 05:14 PM.

They call me "chef"

A round for everyone who accurately predicted Joey Votto would receive multiple knee surgeries and be too injured to perform at his normal level!

14. Likes:

Pacman Fever (05-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    A round for everyone who accurately predicted Joey Votto would receive multiple knee surgeries and be too injured to perform at his normal level!
    i'm all for trading Joey if it means we bring in a couple young HITTERS. This team is dying for hitting, pitching is nice but what good is it if you cant get your pitchers any wins because you're one of the 5 worst offenses in baseball

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you trade Votto I would have to rename my cat. I'm not willing to do that.
    If you won't your cat is going to need therapy during the long sllde down.

I imagine it's already showing symptoms.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

17. Likes:

Pacman Fever (05-27-2014)

Turn Off Ads?