Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Line-up--1985Cardinals Style?

Reds Line-up--1985Cardinals Style?

With Hamilton's exploits growing day by day(as well as the team's penchant for aggressive (I LOVE IT) baserunning [Spitting in the face of MoneyBall]

Is it possible to fashion a 1985 Cardinals type of line-up with the current roster--or with people coming up?

The line-up could look something like this...

Team/Order 2014 Reds 1985 Cardinals
    1 CF-Hamilton LF-Coleman
    2 LF-Heisey CF-McGee
    3 1B-Votto 2B-Herr
    4 RF-Bruce 1B-Clark
    5 C-Mesoraco RF-Van Slyke
    6 3B-Frazier 3B-Pendleton
    7 2B-Phillips SS-Smith
    8 SS-Cozart C-Nieto

I hate taking Ludwick out of the line-up, but I just can't for the life of me see Phillips and/or Cozart being number two hitters that will
    • a. allow Billy at least ONE or TWO chances to run. (I am not convinced Heisey can do it either)
    • b. steal/put pressure on when they get on base. (I am not convinced Heisey can do it either)

I like how the line-up is working now, but... is there anything there?

The obvious differences in that 1985 line-up to the 2014 Reds Line-up
    OBP and Speed

McGee v Heisey.
    McGee's 1985 year was RIDICULOUS (MVP) .353/.384/.503 56 SB/54 XBH/

Herr v Votto (Although not as big a difference as McGee to Heisey)
    Herr's 1985 year .302/.379/.416 31SB/ 49XBH/ [Herr was 5th in MVP voting!]

Van Slyke v Mesoraco (Just way different players--and Mes cannot put SB pressure that Van Slyke did)
    Van Slyke 1985 year .259/.335/.439 34SB /44XBH

Clark v Bruce
    Clark 1985 year .281/.393/.502 22 Home runs (out of 126 games)

Smith v Phillips
    Smith 1985 year .276/.355/.361 31SB / 31XBH

Ok--well... that was a waste of time! Sorry.. was just randomly thinking outloud...
    That 85 Cardinals team was a fun team to watch...

And when the Reds were running like they were on April 23 against the Pirates... it reminded me a lot of that team.
    Last edited by Don Votto; 04-24-2014 at 11:08 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Line-up--1985Cardinals Style?

I can see some similarities in the line ups and styles of play. But, from my perspective (which you touched on also), one of the main differences is that that the Cards had another speedster in Willie McGee going back to back with Coleman. That was a fun team to watch back then.

Besides McGee and Coleman, Van Slyke, Herr, Smith could all run well. Clark, Nieto and Pendleton were the only tortoises and 2 of those guys hit well. In terms of aggressiveness, though, I love how the Reds are applying pressure through the whole lineup as far as the running goes. Heisey, Pena, Mes, Bruce - heck even Joey - have been going. It's the biggest difference from Baker's philosophy that I've seen so far.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

noway, the 85 Cards could HIT and do it consistently.. this team is far from that.. not even consistent at hitting and it still shows from the end of last year till this year

Since the general park factors are near opposites for power, it'd be interesting how the '85 Cards lineup construction would play out at GABP..

Park Years 1b. 2b. 3b. hrLF. hrRF.
    Busch -2005 0. 0. +1 -2 -2
    GABP 2003- 0. 0. -2 +2 +2
    Last edited by '69; 05-26-2014 at 08:55 PM.

It's good in theory but I don't see it working anymore, really anywhere in baseball. Old Busch Stadium was a cavern (414 ft to center) and allowed the 85 Cardinals to run. It also helped that it was an astroturf surface back then. Great American is too small of a park to pull of anything close to what the 85 Cardinals did.

Turn Off Ads?