Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Votto's Market Value?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is Votto's Market Value?

Votto was due to become a free agent this winter (I believe). If he keeps up these kind of numbers this year, does anyone believe that he would've commanded a $240Million payday on the OPEN MARKET?

I like Vottomatic and believe that he's one of the better players in all of baseball right now. However, the Reds were absolutely electric last year while he was on the DL, he turns 30 in September, & he's the proud owner of one of the silliest contracts in professional sports history.

I think the Reds proved last summer that Joey is an unnecessay luxury extravagance for our small market franchise. With the injury bug striking him already last year & age 30 right around the corner the Reds could soon find themselves in familiar Griffey JR.-esque territory.

His current numbers are looking rather "pedestrian". He appears on par for about a .320 BA/25 HRs/85RBIs. Now, those were great numbers for the Giants to get out of a juiced-up Melky Cabrera last year. Heck, those #'s were even good back when "The Mayor" Sean Casey was in town. Unfortunately though, those are not MVP/The FRANCHISE type of #'s.

It's completely unrealistic to believe that Joey's gonna be MVP every year from now until his contract expires in 2024. Infact, I think we'd be lucky if he even earns half of the over $240 million that he is owed on the deal. We're not the Yankees or Mickey Mouse (Angels). Thus, I really believe that the $ could be much more wisely spent.

Not to mention the prospects the Reds could receive back in a trade haul could really replenish our farm system. And with the $ we'd save we could sign Choo/Latos/Bailey. Heck, we could give 'em all 5-6 year deals & still have enough $ left over to be players in free agency both this year and in year to come.

What do you guys think?? Discuss!!
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 07-21-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Re: What is Votto's Market Value?

How's BP gonna get all them ribeyes if they trade that Votto guy?

I've been saying for a while that a Votto contract in a ball club like the Reds is risky business. In 6 years when he is not playing like a top payroll kind of guy the Reds had better have a GREAT farm system to back them up because they won't be able to buy top talent to replace him.

4. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I've been saying for a while that a Votto contract in a ball club like the Reds is risky business. In 6 years when he is not playing like a top payroll kind of guy the Reds had better have a GREAT farm system to back them up because they won't be able to buy top talent to replace him.
    In 3 years the club will sign a new media rights deal and have a lot more revenue

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    In 3 years the club will sign a new media rights deal and have a lot more revenue
    In 3 years this Joey guy, who is pretty much this era's John Olerud (not quite Bagwell/Helton, but close)........Votto might (if we're lucky) be hitting like an "in his prime" Sean Casey.......and 2 years later be (hopefully) hittimg like an in his prime Hal Morris.......and then he still is getting paid $25 million a year from that point (2019) until 5 years later (2024).....WTH !?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    I think it's a pretty good assumption, Reds baseball has great ratings in the Ohio market.

Some talking heads think TV revenue rights value will tank soon.... I don't see it happening.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    Votto was due to become a free agent this winter (I believe). If he keeps up these kind of numbers this year, does anyone believe that he would've commanded a $240Million payday on the OPEN MARKET?

I like Vottomatic and believe that he's one of the better players in all of baseball right now. However, the Reds were absolutely electric last year while he was on the DL, he turns 30 in September, & he's the proud owner of one of the silliest contracts in professional sports history.

I think the Reds proved last summer that Joey is an unnecessay luxury extravagance for our small market franchise. With the injury bug striking him already last year & age 30 right around the corner the Reds could soon find themselves in familiar Griffey JR.-esque territory.

His current numbers are looking rather non "pedestrian". He appears on par for about a .320 BA/25 HRs/85RBIs. Now, those were great numbers for the Giants to get out of a juiced-up Melky Cabrera last year. Heck, those #'s were even good back when "The Mayor" Sean Casey was in town. Unfortunately though, those are not MVP/The FRANCHISE type of #'s.

It's completely unrealistic to believe that Joey's gonna be MVP every year from now until his contract expires in 2024. Infact, I think we'd be lucky if he even earns half of the over $240 million that he is owed on the deal. We're not the Yankees or Mickey Mouse (Angels) & I think the $ could be much more wisely spent.

Not to mention the prospects the Reds could receive back in a trade could really help replenish our farm system. With the $ we save we could sign Choo/Latos/Bailey. Heck, we could give 'em all 5-6 year deals & probably still have a couple bucks left over.

What do you guys think?? Discuss!!
    I looked up the number of players who had a .320 BA/25 HR season over the years.

Since 1901, that has been achieved 20 times.

Some of the names on the list are Gehrig, Foster, Kluszewski, Mantle, etc.

To me, it would be awesome for Votto to have a season like that.

YMMV

9. Likes:

joshua (07-29-2013),Larkin Fan (07-21-2013),LexRedsFan (07-23-2013),Raisor (07-22-2013),reds1869 (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I looked up the number of players who had a .320 BA/25 HR season over the years.

Since 1901, that has been achieved 20 times.

Some of the names on the list are Gehrig, Foster, Kluszewski, Mantle, etc.

To me, it would be awesome for Votto to have a season like that.

YMMV
    A .320 BA/25 HR season has been achieved more often than just 20 times.
    Babe Ruth achieved that standard 12 times, Ted Williams did so 11 times, Hank Aaron 7 times, Willie Mays 3 times, Mickey Mantle 3 times, Joe DiMaggio 7 times, Jimmie Foxx 9 times, Stan Musial 7 times, Al Simmons 3 times, Frank Robinson 3 times, Carl Yastrzemski 2 times, Duke Snider two times, etc.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

11. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Babe Ruth achieved that standard 12 times, Ted Williams did so 11 times, Hank Aaron 7 times, Willie Mays 3 times, Mickey Mantle 3 times, Joe DiMaggio 7 times, Jimmie Foxx 9 times, Stan Musial 7 times, Al Simmons 3 times, Frank Robinson 3 times, Carl Yastrzemski 2 times, Duke Snider two times, etc.
    He didn't say it had happened 20 times, he said that 20 players had done it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He didn't say it had happened 20 times, he said that 20 players had done it.

High five!
    Exactly. It is still a very elite plateau.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    OK, I wasn't logged in to BR.com. 321 player seasons, 141 players.

The point still stands: the kinds of guys who achieved that lofty goal (especially multiple times) seem pretty "MVP/The FRANCHISE" to me.

The point still stands: the kinds of guys who achieved that lofty goal (especially multiple times) seem pretty "MVP/The FRANCHISE" to me.
    Thanks. I was certain it had been done by a lot more than just 20 players.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

You've made me a pawn in defrauding the sun deck.

High five!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    You've made me a pawn in defrauding the sun deck.

High five!
    Solid!

High five!

18. Likes:

Raisor (07-27-2013)

No where near what we paid. But, if we hadn't paid it he would have walked.

Turn Off Ads?