Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What is Votto's Market Value?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is Votto's Market Value?

Votto was due to become a free agent this winter (I believe). If he keeps up these kind of numbers this year, does anyone believe that he would've commanded a $240Million payday on the OPEN MARKET?

I like Vottomatic and believe that he's one of the better players in all of baseball right now. However, the Reds were absolutely electric last year while he was on the DL, he turns 30 in September, & he's the proud owner of one of the silliest contracts in professional sports history.

I think the Reds proved last summer that Joey is an unnecessay luxury extravagance for our small market franchise. With the injury bug striking him already last year & age 30 right around the corner the Reds could soon find themselves in familiar Griffey JR.-esque territory.

His current numbers are looking rather "pedestrian". He appears on par for about a .320 BA/25 HRs/85RBIs. Now, those were great numbers for the Giants to get out of a juiced-up Melky Cabrera last year. Heck, those #'s were even good back when "The Mayor" Sean Casey was in town. Unfortunately though, those are not MVP/The FRANCHISE type of #'s.

It's completely unrealistic to believe that Joey's gonna be MVP every year from now until his contract expires in 2024. Infact, I think we'd be lucky if he even earns half of the over $240 million that he is owed on the deal. We're not the Yankees or Mickey Mouse (Angels). Thus, I really believe that the $ could be much more wisely spent.

Not to mention the prospects the Reds could receive back in a trade haul could really replenish our farm system. And with the $ we'd save we could sign Choo/Latos/Bailey. Heck, we could give 'em all 5-6 year deals & still have enough $ left over to be players in free agency both this year and in year to come.

What do you guys think?? Discuss!!
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 07-21-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Turn Off Ads?