Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is Votto's Market Value?

Re: What is Votto's Market Value?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That's fair. But given the choice between this contract and letting him walk.....?
    Tough call. I'd say the odds are more on the Reds side than they were for the Pujols and Angels deal.

I really hope he hit the genetic lottery.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    In 3 years the club will sign a new media rights deal and have a lot more revenue
    In 3 years this Joey guy, who is pretty much this era's John Olerud (not quite Bagwell/Helton, but close)........Votto might (if we're lucky) be hitting like an "in his prime" Sean Casey.......and 2 years later be (hopefully) hittimg like an in his prime Hal Morris.......and then he still is getting paid $25 million a year from that point (2019) until 5 years later (2024).....WTH !?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    In 3 years the club will sign a new media rights deal and have a lot more revenue
    I think it's a pretty good assumption, Reds baseball has great ratings in the Ohio market.

Some talking heads think TV revenue rights value will tank soon.... I don't see it happening.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanic#10 View Post
    You have all the rediculious contract now do
    To the steroid era and none of these guys or any
    Other guys in the next 5 yrs will live up to it because
    It's based on these big numbers and steroid use!
    I got so tired of hearing Griffey is hurt all the time and
    Arod, bonds, Sosa, are just awesome from the so called EXPERTS
    on ESPN. Truth is your body breaks down and u got to cheat on
    The fastball so the days of the 37 yr old hitting 330 avg, 49Hr, 155 RBI
    Are gone.
    ee cummings is that you?

6. Likes:

OC_Red (07-23-2013),RedEye (07-23-2013)

Very interesting!! Mesoraco doesn't really seem to have much of a problem driving Cozart in tonight
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 07-23-2013 at 08:29 PM.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Congrats on being the very first poster to make my (EDIT: non-existant, apparently) ignore list!

And to be on topic:

Your thoughts on Votto are maddeningly wrong.
    Last edited by OC_Red; 07-23-2013 at 08:38 PM.

9. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    Very interesting!! Mesoraco doesn't really seem to have much of a problem driving Cozart in tonight
    Yeah, that would be because Cozart is actually getting on base. I realize something like that would be difficult for you to comprehend though.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (07-23-2013),dubc47834 (07-23-2013),RedEye (07-23-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    You get a legit #4 hitter behind Votto and watch him take off. No one is afraid to pitch to BP or Jay Bruce. Yeah, if they make a mistake, they will pay, but they're much easier to get out than Votto.
    If you put Jay Bruce directly behind Votto you will see Votto pitched to more often than he is with Brandon Phillips directly behind him. No pitcher in baseball fears Brandon Phillips. He has power if you make a mistake down and in. That's it. He has no power anywhere else in the entire zone, or out of it for that matter. He chases pitches out of the zone more than anyone on the team. Pitchers can make mistakes to him in the zone and in most cases, he will hit a single. Pitchers don't fear that.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

What is Votto's Market Value?

5.32 a pound. 5.02 a pound with a coupon.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A win on the open market is worth anywhere from 4-6M in a given year. Is Joey Votto going to be worth 4-5 wins a year over his contract? I wouldn't bet against it. I imagine he provides surplus value for the next few years and then declines some over the rest of the deal, with the last few years being where he isn't providing the value of his deal. Overall though, he will get close to being worth the deal unless something unforeseen happens.

15. Likes:

RedEye (07-23-2013)

Wow....what we have here (atleast this past week) has been: Baes Empty Singles vs. Rally Ending Double-Plays........

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I looked up the number of players who had a .320 BA/25 HR season over the years.

Since 1901, that has been achieved 20 times.

Some of the names on the list are Gehrig, Foster, Kluszewski, Mantle, etc.

To me, it would be awesome for Votto to have a season like that.

YMMV
    A .320 BA/25 HR season has been achieved more often than just 20 times.
    Babe Ruth achieved that standard 12 times, Ted Williams did so 11 times, Hank Aaron 7 times, Willie Mays 3 times, Mickey Mantle 3 times, Joe DiMaggio 7 times, Jimmie Foxx 9 times, Stan Musial 7 times, Al Simmons 3 times, Frank Robinson 3 times, Carl Yastrzemski 2 times, Duke Snider two times, etc.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

18. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Babe Ruth achieved that standard 12 times, Ted Williams did so 11 times, Hank Aaron 7 times, Willie Mays 3 times, Mickey Mantle 3 times, Joe DiMaggio 7 times, Jimmie Foxx 9 times, Stan Musial 7 times, Al Simmons 3 times, Frank Robinson 3 times, Carl Yastrzemski 2 times, Duke Snider two times, etc.
    He didn't say it had happened 20 times, he said that 20 players had done it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He didn't say it had happened 20 times, he said that 20 players had done it.

High five!
    Exactly. It is still a very elite plateau.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    OK, I wasn't logged in to BR.com. 321 player seasons, 141 players.

The point still stands: the kinds of guys who achieved that lofty goal (especially multiple times) seem pretty "MVP/The FRANCHISE" to me.

Turn Off Ads?