Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kenny crushing Dusty on Twitter

Re: Brian Kenny crushing Dusty on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    i agree jake. my problem with dusty is he doesn't think outside of the box when the team is losing. he is so old school and by the book and bristles if you even question him.
    I agree with that take. I also agree with the one that says he is a good handler of men and personalities/egos. And I split over his pitcher handling - don't think he is at all abusive but he does stick too long sometimes. If they made Brian Price manager I'd be for termination tomorrow....another Booner/Miley/Narron schlub? I'll keep the Duster.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Just catching up on a few comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let me ask a general question:

Some of you that are defending Dusty, are you doing because you honestly think he's a good to great manager, is it because he gets slammed so much, or is it both? Neither?
    For me, it's more the latter. He has clear strengths and weaknesses. On balance, I think he's pretty average; I'm not calling for his firing but I won't lose a minute's sleep when and if he is. As I posted earlier in the thread, I think he's been chosen as the official scapegoat for old-school managing and takes abuse out of proportion to the degree he deserves it. It's just piling on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think anyone who gets sabermetrics would say to follow it blindly. Of course you need to assess the situation.
    Referring to saber guys in general, not you specifically: There are a lot of guys who say this, but then they rip the manager for everything he does that isn't "optimal," not bothering to consider any other factors. A lot of people are just paying lip service to the other side of the coin.

Yes, I do believe that the guys Dusty hits second is really hurting this team. Is it the biggest problem? Of course not. Injuries have been. But Dusty can't do anything about that. He can easily do something about the crappy #2 guys or that terrible #4 hitter he has used for the last 8 weeks who has produced like a 5th outfielder at the plate.
    The same sabermetrics that tell us the batting order matters are also telling us that one guy's spot in the order doesn't matter very much. Again, it's not that we're wrong, it's just that the lineup thing is harped on way out of proportion to the degree it actually matters.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-09-2013),mth123 (08-03-2013),westofyou (08-03-2013),wlf WV (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The same sabermetrics that tell us the batting order matters are also telling us that one guy's spot in the order doesn't matter very much. Again, it's not that we're wrong, it's just that the lineup thing is harped on way out of proportion to the degree it actually matters.
    I agree. However, I would suggest that it is because so few things in the game are so completely, utterly controllable.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Batting order doesn't matter that much, but it does matter some and it is incredibly easy to control. The ability to control it is why there is so much harping on the issue.

7. Likes:

joshua (08-03-2013)

http://redlegnation.com/2013/08/03/proximity/

I like Matheny's answer a lot better.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.

9. Likes:

dougdirt (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Soundbytes. Nothing more, nothing less.

They don't have lick to do with what actually happens on a baseball field, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

They don't have lick to do with what actually happens on a baseball field, though.
    I'll say this, though: Dusty usually doesn't go there. He has to be incredibly frustrated to be taking aim at his players like that.

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-03-2013),RedEye (08-03-2013)

One guy defended his players by taking the blame. The other guy rounded them up and tossed them under the bus.

Maybe they were just noise. But one noise was a lot better than the other IMO.

Of course, maybe this is some of the kind of fire a lot of people want from Dusty. To tell the players to do better.

One guy defended his players by taking the blame. The other guy rounded them up and tossed them under the bus.

Of course, maybe this is some of the kind of fire a lot of people want from Dusty. To tell the players to do better.
    Agree. I don't hate on Dusty much. I think he's better than 80% of the other managers with all his faults, but it is encouraging that he notices that things are going bad instead of saying, "that's baseball." The problem is the roster. The Reds finally get a leadoff hitter and all that's left are players lifted off the trash heap of MLB. It's maddening, but I'd blame the FO as much as the Dust. JMO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

EMAW

Walt J should be held accountable for the bench he has delivered

I don't really care what Dusty says in public about his managing, his players' production or anything else. I care only what he says to his players, how he manages the team in the clubhouse itself and how his players respond.

Frankly, no one should care about any of the other minutia.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't really care what Dusty says in public about his managing, his players' production or anything else. I care only what he says to his players, how he manages the team in the clubhouse itself and how his players respond.

Frankly, no one should care about any of the other minutia.
    I am with you for the most part, but you can bet that the players, their family, friends and agents all read where Dusty threw them under the bus. I can't possibly see where doing that works for the team as a good thing.

The players are not performing up to par right now and haven't been for some time, and it needs to be said. It's nothing they don't know. Covering it up does nothing to make it better at this point. It's time to kick it in gear. I'm tired of hearing excuses.

Maybe Bob C can go down and give the clubhouse a rousing speech about overcoming adversity and digging deep and giving 110%....

Concerning twitter, I'm sitting this form of communicating out and might get on the next train that rolls into the station whatever it will be called.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Maybe Bob C can go down and give the clubhouse a rousing speech about overcoming adversity and digging deep and giving 110%....

Concerning twitter, I'm sitting this form of communicating out and might get on the next train that rolls into the station whatever it will be called.
    Maybe you could start a Reds Pinterest!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?