Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Its really as simple as OSU undefeated and two of the three ahead of them losing. I don't see an OSU vs. Oregon matchup as a booby prize. That would be a very, very interesting matchup if there are four unbeatens. Even with BCS, its all a mythical championship anyhow.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Its really as simple as OSU undefeated and two of the three ahead of them losing. I don't see an OSU vs. Oregon matchup as a booby prize. That would be a very, very interesting matchup if there are four unbeatens. Even with BCS, its all a mythical championship anyhow.
    Sadly if they all stay undefeated Oregon will probably pass up FSU and play Alabama. Ohio State would probably play Stanford in the Rose Bowl and FSU would probably play an SEC team in the Orange Bowl. Maybe the BCS would have better sense to match up Ohio St and FSU in the Rose Bowl, but they do love their tradition.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sadly if they all stay undefeated Oregon will probably pass up FSU and play Alabama. Ohio State would probably play Stanford in the Rose Bowl and FSU would probably play an SEC team in the Orange Bowl. Maybe the BCS would have better sense to match up Ohio St and FSU in the Rose Bowl, but they do love their tradition.
    With the conference tie-ins, I don't think the rules allow it anyway. The big-five conference champions either play in their designated bowl or the BCS title game. The bowls that lose teams to the BCS title game have to back-fill from the at-large pool.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Starting to feel it Ohio State fans? It's early, but Oregon is in trouble in Palo Alto. OSU could be inching closer to the BCS title game.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Starting to feel it Ohio State fans? It's early, but Oregon is in trouble in Palo Alto. OSU could be inching closer to the BCS title game.
    17-0 at the half. This could upset the apple cart if this result stands.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Man, been a while since I've seen a demonstration of power football like this. Stanford has just socked Oregon in the jaw and the Ducks have no answer.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Man, been a while since I've seen a demonstration of power football like this. Stanford has just socked Oregon in the jaw and the Ducks have no answer.
    Good news for OSU for sure. I just don't want to start hearing the Stanford over undefeated OSU talk. You lost to Utah, you have no argument.

Now for Alabama to lose to any one of LSU, Auburn, or Mizz/SC

Stanford is only the third team Oregon has played all season who has a winning record. Alabama has also only played three. Ohio State has played five. Kind of makes me think about all the "Ohio State's schedule is too weak!" arguments from ESPN.

Oregon always gets exposed when they play a team with good OL and DL. You have to contain their running game and then take your time on offense and keep them on the sidelines. Oregon can recruit all these fast skilled position players, but they can't recruit linemen worth a damn.

Here's something interesting when looking at the 2010 Rose Bowl and tonight's game.

Time of possession:

Ohio State 41:37. Oregon18:23

Stanford 42:34. Oregon 17:26

That's how you beat Oregon, right there. Also interesting about that Rose Bowl game...Masoli was supposed to run circles around the Buckeyes slow and fat defense. I remember non-Buckeye fan people I work with saying Masoli would carve up the Buckeyes, Big Ten football is stuck in the 70's etc. Then Masoli went 9/20 89 yards passing and had 9 yards on 6 carries. I remember him playing ****ty, but not that ****ty.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-08-2013),jimbo (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Ohio State has played five.
    I only count four (Buffalo, Wisconsin, Penn State and Iowa). Wisconsin is very good, but Buffalo, Penn State and Iowa is hardly a murderer's row. All four were home games, too.

There's really no way around it: Ohio State's schedule is pretty horrid. Not entirely their fault, but it's the truth.

13. Likes:

Falcon7 (11-17-2013),Sea Ray (11-08-2013)

Buffalo is relatively decent for being a cupcake. Good shot at winning the MAC.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I only count four (Buffalo, Wisconsin, Penn State and Iowa). Wisconsin is very good, but Buffalo, Penn State and Iowa is hardly a murderer's row. All four were home games, too.

There's really no way around it: Ohio State's schedule is pretty horrid. Not entirely their fault, but it's the truth.
    With out looking up their record, I believe San Diego State has a winning record, I know I've seen them mentioned amongst OSU's bowl eligible (or bowl likely) opponents this season. Don't know if they're there or not, they started off the season very slowly, then have been steadily improving each week. I believe they've only lost once in conference, in OT to Fresno State and appear to be headed towards a bowl game if they haven't quite recovered to be above .500.

It makes you wonder why anyone in the national media was surprised that Oregon lost last night. That offense always struggles vs tough good defenses teams that have the ability to eat up clock and "slow" the game down.

At any rate, things are shaping up well for OSU at this point (assuming they can win out). I don't care who you are, nor what conference you play in, its darn tough to go undefeated in college football. If Bama and FSU both win out as well, I can think of worse things than playing Oregon or Stanford in the Pac12, though if the matchup was against UCLA, Arizona or Arizona State then a lot of luster would be removed from the matchup.

The Buckeyes toughest game looks to be Mich St in the Big Ten championship game

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Buckeyes toughest game looks to be Mich St in the Big Ten championship game
    It has been that way for a while now. But you can't overlook the massive rivalry scheduled a week before the B1G title game.

Oregon can't play smash mouth football, and especially can't play it when they fall behind. They are undersized and fast, which does well when other teams are trying to catch up, but doesn't work so well when other teams can control the ball. They benefit from playing in a league that is more of a finesse league, not a smash mouth league. They are fun to watch, but when a team can ugly the game up, play ball control offense, they have all kinds of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    With out looking up their record, I believe San Diego State has a winning record, I know I've seen them mentioned amongst OSU's bowl eligible (or bowl likely) opponents this season. Don't know if they're there or not, they started off the season very slowly, then have been steadily improving each week. I believe they've only lost once in conference, in OT to Fresno State and appear to be headed towards a bowl game if they haven't quite recovered to be above .500.

It makes you wonder why anyone in the national media was surprised that Oregon lost last night. That offense always struggles vs tough good defenses teams that have the ability to eat up clock and "slow" the game down.

At any rate, things are shaping up well for OSU at this point (assuming they can win out). I don't care who you are, nor what conference you play in, its darn tough to go undefeated in college football. If Bama and FSU both win out as well, I can think of worse things than playing Oregon or Stanford in the Pac12, though if the matchup was against UCLA, Arizona or Arizona State then a lot of luster would be removed from the matchup.
    Made the same mistake you just did. SDSU is actually an even 4-4.

Still my point stands: I"m not saying Ohio State's schedule is a gaunlet...but neither is Oregon or Alabama's.

The difference (at least in Alabama's case) is that they now have to face LSU, Auburn and either South Carolina or Mizzou in order to stay undefeated. All three are vastly superior to anything Ohio State has left (save for MAYBE Michigan State).

Turn Off Ads?