Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Methinks there are a lot major media networks and columnists who owe a mea clupa towards Hyde. He won't get it, but anymore today everyone is so eager to jump to conclusions based upon an incomplete set of information.

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-24-2013)

I would not even be surprised if the media (ESPN) does not even report this part of the story.

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said Wednesday at Big Ten media days that he was “furious” over the off-the-field issues that have plagued his program over the last week.

Recap:
    1) senior running back Carlos Hyde suspended following a reported assault against a women at a downtown bar (innocent until proven quilty which doesn't look likely IMHO),
    2) cornerback Bradley Roby banned from attending media days after he was arrested for battery,
    3)suspended freshman tight end Marcus Baugh for a game after his arrest for underage possession and carrying a fake ID,
    4) freshman Tim Gardner sent home after his arrest for obstruction of justice

This is the price of Meyer's hire. The Ohio State Gators have come to Columbus.

Meyer has the OSU Gators positioned as consensus Top 5 preseason pick which is what he was hired to do but are Buckeye fans willing to live with losing their moral authority? Meyer is returning the W's but the righteous sweater vest lost with sanctions doesn't appear like it'll return anytime soon. Are Buckators fans comfortable with that proposition?
    Last edited by jojo; 07-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said Wednesday at Big Ten media days that he was “furious” over the off-the-field issues that have plagued his program over the last week.

Recap:
    1) senior running back Carlos Hyde suspended following a reported assault against a women at a downtown bar (innocent until proven quilty which doesn't look likely IMHO),
    2) cornerback Bradley Roby banned from attending media days after he was arrested for battery,
    3)suspended freshman tight end Marcus Baugh for a game after his arrest for underage possession and carrying a fake ID,

Meyer has the OSU Gators positioned as consensus Top 5 preseason pick which is what he was hired to do but are Buckeye fans willing to live with losing their moral authority? Meyer is returning the W's but the righteous sweater vest lost with sanctions doesn't appear like it'll return anytime soon. Are Buckators fans comfortable with that proposition?
    If your going to levy insults and bring zero to the conversation they why post on an Ohio State Football thread?

8. Likes:

jimbo (07-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If your going to levy insults and bring zero to the conversation they why post on an Ohio State Football thread?
    Since you've already attacked the messenger, care to discuss the points made in the message? Are you comfortable now accepting all of the things buckeye nation criticized Meyer for while he was in the SEC. In other words, is Meyer's baggage no longer an issue if his teams win in Columbus?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Since you've already attacked the messenger, care to discuss the points made in the message? Are you comfortable now accepting all of the things buckeye nation criticized Meyer for while he was in the SEC. In other words, is Meyer's baggage no longer an issue if his teams win in Columbus?
    The Buckeyes or the OSU Gators? You get awful sensitive when insults are levied at Auburn but turn around levy them about OSU pretty quickly.

Am I happy that Hyde and Roby got into trouble? Absolutely not. But it appears as if Hyde never did anything wrong. A freshman getting caught with a fake ID and underage possession? Am I supposed to get upset over that? As a parent I would be mad at my child but my friends and I did the same thing at that age.

What is Meyer's baggage? Players who have gotten into trouble have been punished. More than anything else that is what I want. If you want to start listing every single NCAA college football player that gets into trouble go for it. But pointing out 4 OSU players and slamming the program because of that I have an issue with.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Buckeyes or the OSU Gators? You get awful sensitive when insults are levied at Auburn but turn around levy them about OSU pretty quickly.

Am I happy that Hyde and Roby got into trouble? Absolutely not. But it appears as if Hyde never did anything wrong. A freshman getting caught with a fake ID and underage possession? Am I supposed to get upset over that? As a parent I would be mad at my child but my friends and I did the same thing at that age.

What is Meyer's baggage? Players who have gotten into trouble have been punished. More than anything else that is what I want. If you want to start listing every single NCAA college football player that gets into trouble go for it. But pointing out 4 OSU players and slamming the program because of that I have an issue with.
    We'll get to revisit this question often with Meyer in Columbus. And that's the point. It's part of Meyer's brand. Are OSU fans comfortable with others being able to call them the Buckators and having the moniker ring with more than a little truth? It's a relevent question especially given the reverence there was for Tressell and the perception of how he ran his program and the disdain many OSU fans showed for how "SEC" teams run theirs.

You can chose to be offended and obfuscate the point but there seems to be a point here. Or can you argue it away with reasoned facts?

Auburn has had so many off-field incidents over the past 10 years, I don't think there is much ground to stand on when it comes to levying moral supremacy in that department.

Regardless, any person thumbing their nose about off-field incidents is likely a hypocrite. Teenagers get into trouble at every program in America. Some are more public than others, but they happen. Fans want to believe 'their' program is so much more 'clean' than another, but that's rarely the case.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Recap:

I love your baseball analysis, but you really are intolerable in college football discussion. Is there a way to ignore posters in specific forums?

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-29-2013),jimbo (07-25-2013)

Tressel had more than his fair share of player arrests. I would be surprised if Meyer's first three years at OSU brings about more arrests than JT's first three years. That's the price of big time athletics. I don't know what "moral authority" OSU fans have ever had in that regard and I doubt many, other than the strawmen you cooked up in your head, ever thought they did.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Tressel had more than his fair share of player arrests. I would be surprised if Meyer's first three years at OSU brings about more arrests than JT's first three years. That's the price of big time athletics. I don't know what "moral authority" OSU fans have ever had in that regard and I doubt many, other than the strawmen you cooked up in your head, ever thought they did.
    The media bought the sweater vest brand and they'll highlight Meyer's off the field issues. That's the point. Are OSU fans fine with seeing their dirty laundry drying on ESPN?

But it is surprising to hear OSU fans suggest they've never heard the "OSU does it the right way" schitck before. There is zero straw in any of that.

Meyer spent time in media days addressing this specific issue-off the field stuff. This has become an issue that has to be talked about at press conferences and is going to be talked about alot with alot more scrutiny. One can try to take jabs at the messenger but it's not my concocted message. The media is adopting a narrative-and it's an easy one since it's been part of Meyer's "brand" for years"-call them intolerable. Are OSU fans willing to tolerate it if they get to see wins?
    Last edited by jojo; 07-25-2013 at 11:06 AM.

When OSU fans say that, they are probably referring to the fact unlike some institutions, they don't have coaches going out and acquiescing to recruits and their runners soliciting $200,000 for services.

No OSU fan that I've ever seen thinks OSU is perfect. But compared to certain environments in the wild, wild South, that program should be in sainthood. Boosters are rampant everywhere... in Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Columbus, Gainesville, etc. But the level of participation in the sleaze up North is elementary compared to what happens in the SEC, especially with regard to the coaches specifically.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-29-2013)

We'll get to revisit this question often with Meyer in Columbus. And that's the point. It's part of Meyer's brand. Are OSU fans comfortable with others being able to call them the Buckators and having the moniker ring with more than a little truth? It's a relevent question especially given the reverence there was for Tressell and the perception of how he ran his program and the disdain many OSU fans showed for how "SEC" teams run theirs.

You can chose to be offended and obfuscate the point but there seems to be a point here. Or can you argue it away with reasoned facts?
    Wow - this is laughable.

1.) Carlos Hyde was recruited when Jim Tressel was in charge for starters - AND he did not hit the girl, there is video clearing him of the charges.

2.) Bradley Roby was recruited in 2010 - also not by Urban Meyer

3.) fake ID? Really? I guess that means every college student in the history of mankind is a bad person

4.) Don't know anything about the Gardner one

You can basically look at every football program and find stories like this. For example: Cam Newton and his father going from SEC program to SEC program looking for the biggest payday until he decided on Auburn. What a joke.

This is an OSU thread.

Are OSU fans comfortable tolerating the culture Meyer brings to a program and the problems that come with it? The media are going to highlight them. Meyer is going to talk about them at media days.

From the immediate reaction to try talk about other programs, a small sample suggests, maybe, probably so.

Turn Off Ads?