Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 917

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

  1. #241
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Yea, I'm thinking Alabama has definitely reached the level of the analogy with Dorsey's Hurricanes of the early part of the 21st century. They have went from great college football team to Masters of the Universe. I'm sure they're starting to think the same thing. That's when things start to go wrong, terribly wrong.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  2. Likes:

    BillDoran (10-18-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #242
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,563

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, I'm thinking Alabama has definitely reached the level of the analogy with Dorsey's Hurricanes of the early part of the 21st century. They have went from great college football team to Masters of the Universe. I'm sure they're starting to think the same thing. That's when things start to go wrong, terribly wrong.
    Things will go terribly wrong when others poach Saban's braintrust to a point it effects the corpporate memory too severely, the NCAA spanks them if they're cheating, or Saban loses his drive.

    Think Dabo losing his brain (Chad Morris) @ Clemson, or Meyer's culture and recruiting finally eating the Gator program up from the inside.

    In other words, something has to change for them to go from +1 to 0 or -1 on the sine curve. Right now they are a machine but there is only one way to go on the sine curve for them.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  5. #243
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    273

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, I'm thinking Alabama has definitely reached the level of the analogy with Dorsey's Hurricanes of the early part of the 21st century. They have went from great college football team to Masters of the Universe. I'm sure they're starting to think the same thing. That's when things start to go wrong, terribly wrong.
    While I'm uncertain about the demise, it does seem we've reached some kind of hyperbole saturation point with regards to Alabama and the SEC as whole. There's no doubt that the conference is far and away the best. And anyone willing to argue otherwise is delusional.

    But all of the hype - the Alabama/Denver Broncos betting line, the incessant shouting down of anyone suggesting an SEC team won't win the 2014 National Championship ("the real question is, would another non-SEC team even score in the MNC?!?!1?"), the perceived (right or wrong) extreme ruggedness of the SEC schedule (say what you will, the bottom six teams are middling) - starts feeding itself. It's a positive feedback loop. With the much celebrated eight teams in the Top 25, most conference victories automatically qualify now as big victories.

    In a sport so dominated by subjective analysis (even the computer rankings are highly contingent), how can we ever move from this paradigm? Wining games doesn't necessarily seem like the answer (2013 interconference win percentages: SEC - .833, B10 - .766, ACC - .767, P12 - .853, B12 - .733 [link]). I suppose it's likely the seven consecutive championships, but I yearn for the days when it was conceivable that the entire football constellation didn't revolve around Mike Slive's Birmingham office. Again, I reitterate, the SEC is the dominant college football conference, but can't we return to rational conversation?

  6. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-19-2013), traderumor (10-18-2013)

  7. #244
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Things will go terribly wrong when others poach Saban's braintrust to a point it effects the corpporate memory too severely, the NCAA spanks them if they're cheating, or Saban loses his drive.

    Think Dabo losing his brain (Chad Morris) @ Clemson, or Meyer's culture and recruiting finally eating the Gator program up from the inside.

    In other words, something has to change for them to go from +1 to 0 or -1 on the sine curve. Right now they are a machine but there is only one way to go on the sine curve for them.
    It could be anything, it just happens. Even machines break down or become obsolete, and I've observed that it usually happens about this time for the invincibles. Especially in the crazy world of college athletics, when one jilted lover of the program snitches and the walls come tumbling down. NO ONE gets on top and stays on top without collateral damage. The collateral damage is like an episode of Cold Case, just waiting for the clue to be found. Its not if, but when. And I think its close. Saban knows it. The highlights of the screaming to get the machine fired up--its close. And mighty was the fall.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  8. #245
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,563

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It could be anything, it just happens. Even machines break down or become obsolete, and I've observed that it usually happens about this time for the invincibles. Especially in the crazy world of college athletics, when one jilted lover of the program snitches and the walls come tumbling down. NO ONE gets on top and stays on top without collateral damage. The collateral damage is like an episode of Cold Case, just waiting for the clue to be found. Its not if, but when. And I think its close. Saban knows it. The highlights of the screaming to get the machine fired up--its close. And mighty was the fall.
    Well if Texas can be mediocre, any program can be mediocre.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (10-18-2013)

  10. #246
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Well if Texas can be mediocre, any program can be mediocre.
    Good example. Every program gets saturated at some point. I think its just the nature of things, which makes me laugh when folks talk about Alabama as if this is just going to be the norm unless Western culture falls off the face of the earth.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-18-2013)

  12. #247
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,563

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Good example. Every program gets saturated at some point. I think its just the nature of things, which makes me laugh when folks talk about Alabama as if this is just going to be the norm unless Western culture falls off the face of the earth.
    I think to be fair, it's only Bama fans that truly talk like Bama will reign for a 1000 years. They have never understood that Tuscaloosa is actually not the center of the universe. I don't think many people outside of Bama fans think the Crimson Tide are bullet proof. I think they'd lose to Oregon by double digits this year and I don't think they emerge from the SEC undefeated.

    Some of that "pride" is unique to the South (for many years football was one of the few sources of pride for the state of Alabama), some of it is the swagger associated with tradition of a historically succesful program and lets face it there is ALOT of storied football tradition and chronic success jammed into the short distance between Auburn and Tuscaloosa. For a population that tends to spend 95% of it's lifespan within 100 miles of their birthplace, it's pretty easy to ignore the rest of the world.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  13. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (10-18-2013), joshua (11-01-2013), Revering4Blue (10-18-2013)

  14. #248
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    I seriously don't understand how every Ohio State thread eventually devolves into discussion about the SEC.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  15. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (10-19-2013), jimbo (10-19-2013)

  16. #249
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,563

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I seriously don't understand how every Ohio State thread eventually devolves into discussion about the SEC.
    It might have something to do with OSU fans discussing a national championship?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  17. #250
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,043

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It might have something to do with OSU fans discussing a national championship?
    Which is why a playoff can't come fast enough. Any system that can have a team go undefeated and not even have a chance to advance to a championship game is a flawed system.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  18. Likes:

    joshua (11-01-2013), Redsfaithful (10-19-2013), Revering4Blue (10-19-2013)

  19. #251
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,991

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Daughter Lizzy is in the south stands Block O this season.

    Watch for her. She's wearing red.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  20. #252
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Football is a total joke. That wasn't even a penalty on Roby and he gets ejected? Completely livid right now. That stupid rule needs to be elimated by next Saturday.

  21. #253
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    331

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Doesn't look like the defense got any better over the bye week. I think they've run a bootleg pass to a TE about 5 times so far. No adjustments

  22. #254
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Doesn't look like the defense got any better over the bye week. I think they've run a bootleg pass to a TE about 5 times so far. No adjustments
    It's awful. Really was hoping for some type of growth, but same crap.

  23. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    331

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Something that has been great to see is Braxton as a passer. I used to cringe when he would drop back to throw the ball. His arm strength is impressive, and his accuracy has been surprising. Even on the pass that was broken up in the end zone on 4th down, his pass was in a perfect spot


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25