Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is an OSU thread.

Are OSU fans comfortable tolerating the culture Meyer brings to a program and the problems that come with it? The media are going to highlight them. Meyer is going to talk about them at media days.

From the immediate reaction to try talk about other programs, a small sample suggests, maybe, probably so.
    You are missing the gigantic point, which I am amazed by because you seem very intelligent on the baseball forums.

Urban Meyer did not bring a specific "culture" with him. This exists everywhere in college football, actually not college football - all of human life. Michigan, Toledo, Notre Dame (remember the girl that was raped by a player and later killed herself because other football players were threatening her?) Auburn, LSU, Alabama, USC, etc. This is not an OSU problem, it is just a part of humanity. 18-22 year olds get in trouble. When I was in college at Dayton I witnessed many a fight.

I read a report that Carlos Hyde was hit in the face by a woman and instead of reacting he walked away - why does Urban Meyer not get credit for that? Oh, that's right - because it doesn't fit your lame agenda.

The fact of the matter is, even though young people all over get in similar trouble (still laughing about the fake ID one) but they don't get any attention because they aren't in the public eye.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-25-2013 at 11:42 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I find it odd that the media seems to only be targeting Meyer when both Georgia and South Carolina had more arrests in the timespan Meyer was at UF.

God Saban has had ton or arrests under his watch as well, and he also oversigns. But ESecPN never likes to bring that up.

Why?

Because OSU generates page hits and maximum comments in the comments sections of online articles.

Meyer is no different than any other big time college coach. People saying he needs to be more selective about the players he brings in are morons. He goes after the same guys all of the other big time coaches go after, yet the media only blames Meyer for what guys do.

It's such a double standard it's pathetic.

Now of course with EsecPN having a contract with the SEC and the B1G Network being one of their major competitors it's understandable why the media (ESecPN) would want to try and hurt the B1G's biggest product, tOSU.

But when you look at Meyer's track record compared to Saban, Spurrier, Richt, Tubberville, etc, they are all very similar.

But the media doesn't like to report on those schools, they just like to pick on OSU.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

This is an OSU thread.

Are OSU fans comfortable tolerating the culture Meyer brings to a program and the problems that come with it? The media are going to highlight them. Meyer is going to talk about them at media days.

From the immediate reaction to try talk about other programs, a small sample suggests, maybe, probably so.
    Seeing how the "culture" is no different than the previous coach, why would OSU fans care as long as the Bucks win? Quite frankly, you have either a very short or a very selective memory about how the media portrayed OSU during the Tressel era.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Urban Meyer did not bring a specific "culture" with him. This exists everywhere in college football, actually not college football - all of human life.
    I disagree with this point about the culture of a program pretty much whole-heartedly.

But lets rephrase the question. Are OSU fans comfortable with the media reinforcing a perception of the program as having a culture of problems if it comes with winning?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I disagree with this point about the culture of a program pretty much whole-heartedly.

But lets rephrase the question. Are OSU fans comfortable with the media reinforcing a perception of the program as having a culture of problems if it comes with winning?
    You keep moving the goalpost here. Quite frankly I have no idea what you are asking other than picking at OSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You keep moving the goalpost here. Quite frankly I have no idea what you are asking other than picking at OSU Football.
    It's a very easy thing to understand and there haven't moving goal posts.

But again, rather than picking at the messenger, want to pick at the message?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Well, in my opinion the media is not "reinforcing" a perception - they are creating one.

I noticed you completely ignored my question about giving Urban Meyer credit for Carlos Hyde walking away after being hit in the head by the accuser.

Should Urban Meyer get credit for Carlos Hyde doing the right thing?

Well, in my opinion the media is not "reinforcing" a perception - they are creating one.
    That's probably true to an extent but Meyer has a brand (and it's not an unfair one) and things like the last week play into it. Are OSU fans willing to tolerate such a narrative becoming an increasing focus of ESPN etc?

I noticed you completely ignored my question about giving Urban Meyer credit for Carlos Hyde walking away after being hit in the head by the accuser.

Should Urban Meyer get credit for Carlos Hyde doing the right thing?
    I didn't ignore anything (it was in fact referenced in the OP on this topic). But according to you, Tressel should get credit if Hyde is exonerated since Meyer shouldn't be held accountable for the actions of those he didn't recruit.

I didn't ignore anything (it was in fact referenced in the OP on this topic). But according to you, Tressel should get credit if Hyde is exonerated since Meyer shouldn't be held accountable for the actions of those he didn't recruit.
    I don't think anyone should get credit for Hyde doing the right thing other than Hyde and to a lesser extent his parents.

You stated out your post by calling OSU the OSU Gators in obvious disrespect. Then you called them the Bucators trying to illicit a response.

Am I happy that Roby got arrested, no. But then again I don't exactly know what happened nor have seen it play out completely.

Am I happy that Hyde found himself in trouble, no. But then again when the right evidence surfaced it showed that he carried himself in a manner that I would want.

Am I happy that some freshman got busted with booze and a fake id, no. But then again I am not going to lose it over a college freshman having booze and a fake ID. If I did I wouldn't have had many friends in college.

I had concerns when Urban first came to OSU but so far those have been alleviated. He has run a tight ship and for the most part his players have stayed out of trouble while winning at a high level.

14. Likes:

jimbo (07-25-2013)

Jojo, this is bordering on trolling. I know that some people in this thread got into it with you over whatever shenanigans went on with Cam Newton and Co. at Auburn, but come on, you are better than this.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-29-2013),WMR (07-25-2013)

That's probably true to an extent but Meyer has a brand (and it's not an unfair one) and things like the last week play into it. Are OSU fans willing to tolerate such a narrative becoming an increasing focus of ESPN etc?
    I tend not to lose sleep or worry about what I should tolerate based on ESPN's lazy reporting and debate format focused on getting page hits from Joe Moron.

Or short answer, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Jojo, this is bordering on trolling. I know that some people in this thread got into it with you over whatever shenanigans went on with Cam Newton and Co. at Auburn, but come on, you are better than this.
    This has nothing to do with the issues you mentioned and this isn't anywhere near trolling.

Meyer's track record on this issue and the state he left the Florida program in has been a legitmate topic concerning him and it was a relevent topic when he was hired at OSU (though many dismissed it out of hand in favor of the perception of Meyer, the man of principle, as a savior). Given he was forced to address off the field issues at a media event designed to promote the program and the Big Ten only reinforce the argument that this is a relevant topic of discussion in it's own right.

I guess I get that OSU fans might be tempted to go after the messenger rather than the message in an ad homimen approach. But this isn't about jojo. It's about how the national media is gravitating toward painting a perception of OSU's football program and the significance of the face of OSU's program having to comment on these issues at a major media event. This is the face of OSU football and the branding of the program. If this becomes the national narrative do OSU fans find it acceptable?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...leheads-072413

But he better do more than that. The trail he has left is just too messy. The New York Times reported that 41 players from his 2008 Florida team were arrested in college or after. Or both.

To be fair, it’s kind of a stretch to call him an enabler of Hernandez. And at least some of the other troubles are typical things football players do. And running back Carlos Hyde, who was a “person of interest’’ in an alleged assault on a woman in a bar, might be cleared. After several reports he had punched the woman in the face, Yahoo! Sports reports that a video of the incident shows Hyde didn’t touch her.

But it still sounds wrong when Meyer describes the issues at Ohio State as “a couple of knuckleheads’’ making decisions that reflect poorly on the program.

The few-bad-apples defense. But 41 bad apples on one team? Look at it this way: If a first-grader or two thinks that one plus one is five, then that might be a problem for the student. If half the class thinks that?

It’s on the math teacher.
    Last edited by jojo; 07-25-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Turn Off Ads?