Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

As a life long OSU football fan, I'm grown pretty accostumed to ESPN and others painting OSU in a negative picture. Ever seen Mark May's schtick? Trev Alberts? How many times did we have to hear that Jim Tressel's offense was boring following a big win? Remember Maurice Clarett? Are you still awaiting your invite to Eddie George's graduation cermony from medical school? Have you heard that Andy Katzenmoyor took golf and an AIDS awareness class?

If you're not just trolling, as you say and are sincere in asking if OSU fans are ready for OSU to be painted in a negative light by ESPN and others, then I'm pretty sure I can answer for most OSU fans. Yes, yes we are ready for the program to be painted in a negative light, b/c ESPN and others have been taking every opportunity to do so for about as long as I've been a fan. I think I saw the other day that there have been 9 arrests in the last calander year for OSU football players, the exact same amount as Georgia, and I'm guessing a similar amount, sadly, to most other major football programs.

Urban is trying to win football game, not raise choir boys. I wish he won every game, did so with future saints and nobel prize winners, but that's just not reality. Not at Ohio State, not at Auburn, not at Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Geogria, USC, Oregon, Miami, etc... The fact that some in the media were trying to attach blame to Urban for the Aaron Hernandez story is sad, but not surprsing. Had Urban kicked him off the team or not recruited the kid for being a witness to a shooting some years prior, the story would not have been NFLer suspect in murder case, it would have been, remember that guy who used to play at football, he's being investigated for murder. In otherwords a non story b/c the guy was no longer famous. Urban, the University of Florida, the SEC, the NCAA, the Patriots, nor the NFL had any role in that murder. To suggest otherwise is simply someone trying to garner attention for their writing.

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-29-2013),RedTeamGo! (07-25-2013),Revering4Blue (07-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This has nothing to do with the issues you mentioned and this isn't anywhere near trolling.

Meyer's track record on this issue and the state he left the Florida program in has been a legitmate topic concerning him and it was a relevent topic when he was hired at OSU (though many dismissed it out of hand in favor of the perception of Meyer, the man of principle, as a savior). Given he was forced to address off the field issues at a media event designed to promote the program and the Big Ten only reinforce the argument that this is a relevant topic of discussion in it's own right.

I guess I get that OSU fans might be tempted to go after the messenger rather than the message in an ad homimen approach. But this isn't about jojo. It's about how the national media is gravitating toward painting a perception of OSU's football program and the significance of the face of OSU's program having to comment on these issues at a major media event. This is the face of OSU football and the branding of the program. If this becomes the national narrative do OSU fans find it acceptable?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...leheads-072413
    Oh yeah, young men gravitating towards violence and crime is absolutely comparable to children not knowing simple math.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    As a life long OSU football fan, I'm grown pretty accostumed to ESPN and others painting OSU in a negative picture. Ever seen Mark May's schtick? Trev Alberts? How many times did we have to hear that Jim Tressel's offense was boring following a big win? Remember Maurice Clarett? Are you still awaiting your invite to Eddie George's graduation cermony from medical school? Have you heard that Andy Katzenmoyor took golf and an AIDS awareness class?

If you're not just trolling, as you say and are sincere in asking if OSU fans are ready for OSU to be painted in a negative light by ESPN and others, then I'm pretty sure I can answer for most OSU fans. Yes, yes we are ready for the program to be painted in a negative light, b/c ESPN and others have been taking every opportunity to do so for about as long as I've been a fan. I think I saw the other day that there have been 9 arrests in the last calander year for OSU football players, the exact same amount as Georgia, and I'm guessing a similar amount, sadly, to most other major football programs.

Urban is trying to win football game, not raise choir boys. I wish he won every game, did so with future saints and nobel prize winners, but that's just not reality. Not at Ohio State, not at Auburn, not at Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Geogria, USC, Oregon, Miami, etc... The fact that some in the media were trying to attach blame to Urban for the Aaron Hernandez story is sad, but not surprsing. Had Urban kicked him off the team or not recruited the kid for being a witness to a shooting some years prior, the story would not have been NFLer suspect in murder case, it would have been, remember that guy who used to play at football, he's being investigated for murder. In otherwords a non story b/c the guy was no longer famous. Urban, the University of Florida, the SEC, the NCAA, the Patriots, nor the NFL had any role in that murder. To suggest otherwise is simply someone trying to garner attention for their writing.
    Great post! And you certainly speak for me with what you said! Simply put, Ohio State is the biggest media revenue generator in all of college athletics. ESecPN unfairly ridiculing Ohio State is nothing new, but I and many other OSU fans will continue to call the media out when they show double standards.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

I watch BigTenNetwork on game day because, I don't like the other shows. It has been that way for a decade. Someone has to wear the black hat, Ohio State is an easy villain.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

18-22 year old men are going to get into trouble sometimes.

I have no problem with Urban Meyer taking chances on guys who might be higher risk with this sort of thing. I didn't mind when Bob Huggins did it either. Everyone deserves a chance, and many kids lives are transformed by athletic opportunities. MANY.

I doubt any Ohio State fan really cares what non-fans think, and I certainly hope nobody gives the slightest crap what ESPN thinks. ESPN is 99% a cesspool with plenty of it's own issues and skeletons. Sports media is a joke in general.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-29-2013),improbus (08-01-2013),jimbo (07-26-2013),reds1869 (07-26-2013),RedTeamGo! (07-26-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    ...and I certainly hope nobody gives the slightest crap what ESPN thinks. ESPN is 99% a cesspool with plenty of it's own issues and skeletons. Sports media is a joke in general.
    Absolutely correct. Case in point: this morning with Mike and Mike. Reporting from the NE Patriots (their first day) training camp site. Why? I am sure that ESPN would give "football reasons", but we all know it is relative to Aaron Hernandez. Like a flippin' Maury Povich show or something. Cesspool/joke... spot on.

I wonder how long until Urban Meyer gets blamed for Riley Cooper using the N-word....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post

I totally understand what you are saying, but believe me, every fan base will say the same thing about ESPN/the sports media. Ask Auburn fans about the Cam Newton story. Ask Syracuse fans about the Bernie Fine story. Ask Miami fans about Nevin Shapiro. If ESPN hated OSU so much, would they have hired Herbstreit...and Spielman...and Robert Smith?

As far as the Urban related stuff, I think these stories (Hyde, etc...) would be big regardless of the school he went to. That 2008 Florida team is one of the most interesting team in college football history and Urban's role (or sometimes lack of a role) is a huge part of it (See: Harvin, Percy). When you combine his success and off field craziness, the media is going to pounce on anything. I don't think this story has much to do with OSU itself.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Ohio State just picked another big time commitment today from 5-Star athlete Curtis Samuel.

I love seeing Urb and Co rack up the big time playmakers.

A 2014 offense with Braxton Miller, Ezekial Elliott, Jalin Marshall, Dontre Wilson, and Curtis Samuel will be absolutely sick!

Great Day to be a Buckeye!

13. Likes:

BillDoran (08-16-2013),jimbo (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Ohio State just picked another big time commitment today from 5-Star athlete Curtis Samuel.

I love seeing Urb and Co rack up the big time playmakers.

A 2014 offense with Braxton Miller, Ezekial Elliott, Jalin Marshall, Dontre Wilson, and Curtis Samuel will be absolutely sick!

Great Day to be a Buckeye!
    He's a composite 4 star (though that might change after this season) but he's a great pick up nonetheless and his commitment is very solid, i.e. it's doubtful he'll still be recruited hard by the other sharks (Bama, Clemson).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

He's a composite 4 star (though that might change after this season) but he's a great pick up nonetheless and his commitment is very solid, i.e. it's doubtful he'll still be recruited hard by the other sharks (Bama, Clemson).
    The only recruiting site I've seen him rated a 4 star is ESecPN, and everyone knows they have the worst college football recruiting info out there.

247 has him as a 5 star, and I trust those guys more than anyone as that's all they do.

The only recruiting site I've seen him rated a 4 star is ESecPN, and everyone knows they have the worst college football recruiting info out there.

247 has him as a 5 star, and I trust those guys more than anyone as that's all they do.
    He's a composite 4 star on 247's board. The composite is the value used for team rankings. He's probably a composite four star because of the "ATH". Its a little tougher to project him as an NFL player.

http://247sports.com/Player/Curtis-Samuel-25841

This isn't a slight BTW. His commitment should be celebrated by Buckeye fans and it sounds like Samuel is passionate about OSU. He'll probably be an effective recruiter for them as the bigger fish all know each other through camps etc.
    Last edited by jojo; 08-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

He's a composite 4 star on 247's board. The composite is the value used for team rankings. He's probably a composite four star because of the "ATH". Its a little tougher to project him as an NFL player.

http://247sports.com/Player/Curtis-Samuel-25841

This isn't a slight BTW. His commitment should be celebrated by Buckeye fans and it sounds like Samuel is passionate about OSU. He'll probably be an effective recruiter for them as the bigger fish all know each other through camps etc.
    Samuel's commitment bumps OSU up to second among 247's composite team rankings, just behind Alabama. Also, have a great shot with two of the top kids left, Glenville's Marshon Lattimore checking in at 32, and number 12 LB Raekwon Miller, among others like OL target Damien Prince.

If things hold and Meyer closes with his typical urgency, hard to imagine anything worse than a top 5 class, with a real shot at the top overall class in 2014.

I found a nice article by G.Doyle from CBS on Urban.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/wri...ying-attention

It's nice to see someone in the national media finally admit that maybe all of the Meyer bashing as of late has been a little unfair. I always thought it was interesting that when UM was the HC at UF, Georgia actually had more arrests, yet the national media never seemed to mention this.

I guess if you're not winning anything lax discipline isn't news worthy. But at any rate, I think anyone who still says Urban Meyer is too easy on his players still thinks it's 2008.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 08-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.

I found a nice article by G.Doyle from CBS on Urban.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/wri...ying-attention

It's nice to see someone in the national media finally admit that maybe all of the Meyer bashing as of late has been a little unfair. I always thought it was interesting that when UM was the HC at UF, Georgia actually had more arrests, yet the national media never seemed to mention this.

I guess if you're not winning anything lax discipline isn't news worthy. But at any rate, I think anyone who still says Urban Meyer is too easy on his players still thinks it's 2008.
    I saw that article too. And I enjoyed it. Which made me sick, because I despise Gregg Doyel about as much as I despise anyone in sports media.

Turn Off Ads?