Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Something to think about on PATs?

Why would Urban Meyer intentionally give opposing coaches tape on his 2 point conversion plays? I don't understand the point of running 2 point conversions after those TDs.
    College football teams only have so many hours that they are legally allowed to practice, perhaps Urb is attempting to get oppossing teams to spend a couple of those hours preparing for something he never intends to run during the regular season. It could also be used to set up something completely different out of a normal extra point formation that the defense isn't prepared for b/c they spent all their time working on the other formation that they used for the Buffalo game.

I remember during the national title season, Tressle ran a handful of plays out of one particular formation. On all of those plays, Clarrett would head in the same direction. Meanwhile, all season long, they had worked on one additional play out of that formation during practice, but never ran until Michigan week. With 12 prior games of film to study off, Michigan probably felt pretty confident that when OSU went into that specific formation, they were going to do x, y, or z. However, sometime late in the 3rd quarter, OSU lined up in that formation, and had Clarett run a wheel route out of that formation, something they had not shown on film all season long. Clarett was wide open and it led to a huge gain on 3rd down, getting down close to the goal line, IIRC and seting up a touchdown at a crucial moment. Basically Tressel had been running a diversion all season long, so that in a crucial moment against Michigan he had things setup perfectly.

I doubt Urb felt like he needed to give his defense as many points as possible. He knew his offense could/would score points. They only time they failed was when they stopped themselves w/ silly turnovers or by being too conservative and forcing a run game into 8/9 man fronts. OSU probably could have put 60 on the boards if needed. Now there could be a gruge against Buffalo or someone on their staff/administration, but most likely Urban was trying to give oppossing coaches something to think/worry about rather than concentrating on the more basic things that OSU does.

2. Likes:

jimbo (09-04-2013),RedTeamGo! (09-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Meyer values special teams alot. He'll tend to be innovative in the kicking game. The first two PAT plays were likely read plays like river rat suggested. They went bland when the score was "in hand" in order to avoid showing his hand.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    College football teams only have so many hours that they are legally allowed to practice, perhaps Urb is attempting to get oppossing teams to spend a couple of those hours preparing for something he never intends to run during the regular season. It could also be used to set up something completely different out of a normal extra point formation that the defense isn't prepared for b/c they spent all their time working on the other formation that they used for the Buffalo game.

I remember during the national title season, Tressle ran a handful of plays out of one particular formation. On all of those plays, Clarrett would head in the same direction. Meanwhile, all season long, they had worked on one additional play out of that formation during practice, but never ran until Michigan week. With 12 prior games of film to study off, Michigan probably felt pretty confident that when OSU went into that specific formation, they were going to do x, y, or z. However, sometime late in the 3rd quarter, OSU lined up in that formation, and had Clarett run a wheel route out of that formation, something they had not shown on film all season long. Clarett was wide open and it led to a huge gain on 3rd down, getting down close to the goal line, IIRC and seting up a touchdown at a crucial moment. Basically Tressel had been running a diversion all season long, so that in a crucial moment against Michigan he had things setup perfectly.

I doubt Urb felt like he needed to give his defense as many points as possible. He knew his offense could/would score points. They only time they failed was when they stopped themselves w/ silly turnovers or by being too conservative and forcing a run game into 8/9 man fronts. OSU probably could have put 60 on the boards if needed. Now there could be a gruge against Buffalo or someone on their staff/administration, but most likely Urban was trying to give oppossing coaches something to think/worry about rather than concentrating on the more basic things that OSU does.
    This all stems from Woody Hayes. In every practice Woody would set aside time to work in beating Michigan. It has morphed into something completely different but the more looks you show a team the more time they need to spend practicing for it and the less time they can spend practicing on something else.

Meyer said in the post-game presser that they ran the 2-pt conversions to give other teams something to think about. He said it was a "pain in the butt" to have to prepare for extra minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This all stems from Woody Hayes. In every practice Woody would set aside time to work in beating Michigan. It has morphed into something completely different but the more looks you show a team the more time they need to spend practicing for it and the less time they can spend practicing on something else.
    Teams should already know they need to prepare on special teams for a Meyer-led team. If they didn't, Meyer would be making a mistake by enlightening them.

Given there is such a limited time to jam everything in, it makes little sense to devote practice time to just to "muddy the waters".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I thought all things considered OSU played a very fine game yesterday. Braxton goes down and smooth Kenny G handles things admirably. I honestly believe if you asked coaches in the B1G whom in the B1G they would want as a starter all but a few teams would pick Kenny Guiton.

Dontre Wilson is an absolute stud! Thank you Chip Kelly for leaving Oregon and giving us this gift!

And I am giddy thinking about when Carlos Hyde comes back. The offense is humming along and the defense is showing signs of greatness. The D line is scary good and the scariest part about the D line is they are all first year starters (I believe they are all freshman but I don't remember for sure).

Bring on Cal!
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

9. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-10-2013)

Worthington is a true Soph I believe, same thing goes for Spence.
    Bennet is a true junior. My wife taught him, great kid, better family.
    Steve Miller is a Junior
    Bosa is a true Frosh.

Lots of youth across that front, all of them should be back next year, so they'll have two seasons to go and mature together.

Uh oh, trouble brewing at Ok St. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

These exposes get lamer and lamer, imo. You can find violations at any program, because the rules are idiotic and I doubt taken seriously by players who have nothing.

These kids see the wealth their work creates. If someone gives them an envelope full of cash I doubt most are going to feel morally conflicted. Nor should they.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    These exposes get lamer and lamer, imo. You can find violations at any program, because the rules are idiotic and I doubt taken seriously by players who have nothing.

These kids see the wealth their work creates. If someone gives them an envelope full of cash I doubt most are going to feel morally conflicted. Nor should they.
    Darren Rovell tweeted

IMG College Prez Ben Sutton says the avg benefit, including scholarship, to college student athlete is $91,000 a year #BBSports
    Its kind of hard to imagine that more than a handful of athletes at a given university are worth more than their average benefits.

“But then in addition to that, having worked with Thayer Evans at Fox Sports, having followed his work for some time, I am completely and utterly flabbergasted that a legitimate news outlet would allow Thayer Evans to be involved in some type of investigative piece on college football that tears down a program, and particularly one that tears down Oklahoma State when it is no secret what a huge, enormous, gigantic Oklahoma homer Thayer Evans is. This is just incredible. Knowing the lack of competence that’s there with Thayer Evans, knowing the level of simplemindedness that’s there with Thayer Evans, to base any part of the story on his reporting is mind-boggling.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post...Evans/11-22173

I will say this much, I agree that something Thayer Evans writes shouldn't be trusted at face value without multiple named sources.

And the money quote:

“ … Let me end by saying this and I honestly mean this without malice. It wouldn’t shock me if Thayer Evans couldn’t spell cat and I say in all seriousness.”
    Last edited by jojo; 09-10-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Don't know anything about Thayer Evans, but if Jason Whitlock says he is a hack writer, I'll assume the guy is a Pulitzer candidate then.

16. Likes:

dabvu2498 (09-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Darren Rovell tweeted
    That stat may be right, hard to tell because accounting can show just about anything you want it to.

As an aside, Darren Rovell is a tremendous idiot and an awful human being.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post...Evans/11-22173

I will say this much, I agree that something Thayer Evans writes shouldn't be trusted at face value without multiple named sources.
    Odd that SI would get an acknowledged OU fan to do an expose about Okie St. Also odd they would go after Okie St. It's like going after Purdue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?