Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Baylor is not going undefeated. Not even a remote possibility. For Ohio State, it will come down to either FSU or Bama losing somewhere. I would say the chances of both going undefeated is slim.

So I think OSU at this point has a great shot at the BCS National Title game. And even if they get snubbed because people think undefeated FSU and Alabama are better, there is no reason OSU can't put up a national championship banner if they finish 14-0. It doesn't have to say BCS on it, but if they go without a loss in two years they are the champs. I don't care what anyone in the media or the BCS says. No other team in the country would be able to say they did what OSU did, so they would be the true champions.
    Are you sure you're not a Bama fan (those familiar with the Bama fanbase will get the joke)?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Are you sure you're not a Bama fan (those familiar with the Bama fanbase will get the joke)?
    Sounds more like one of UNC's Helms Trophys. Or the Sagarin national championship for UK's 1950 team that they awarded themselves in about 2005.

Are you referencing the NC's bama gave themselves?

The difference is if Ohio State runs the table (again) just like last year then they would have gone two years without a loss in a major conference. That is deserving of a National Title, and if the lame BCS doesn't think so then OSU should do the right thing and put up a National Title banner. What more can they do?

The only other solution would be for the two remaining unbeatens to play each other after the bowl games to decide it once and for all.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Does that mean The University of Toledo from the mid 70s that went three years undefeated are national champions?
    No but they play in the MAC. Ohio State plays in the B1G.

Are you referencing the NC's bama gave themselves?
    Ya. I think they're up to like 35 or something.

The difference is if Ohio State runs the table (again) just like last year then they would have gone two years without a loss in a major conference. That is deserving of a National Title, and if the lame BCS doesn't think so then OSU should do the right thing and put up a National Title banner. What more can they do?

The only other solution would be for the two remaining unbeatens to play each other after the bowl games to decide it once and for all.
    Personally, I'd have an 8 game playoff. Certainly, a 16 game formate would be foolproof.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The whole system is flawed though. That Toledo team should have at least had a chance to earn a championship on the field, the way the basketball teams can. Nobody disputes the basketball championship when all is said and done, because it's settled on the court. The playoff system is long overdue. Any system that can have a team go an entire season without losing a game and not even give that team a chance is messed up in the least.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

8. Likes:

Boston Red (11-08-2013),Revering4Blue (11-09-2013)

I am starting to come around on OSU. To start the season off they looked shaky, the defense has been flawed for the first half of the season, they struggled with both Northwestern (who at the time was undefeated and heading in the right direction) and then Iowa who put together a pretty good game plan. But then all of a sudden the offense exploded, Braxton Miller exploded, Carlos Hyde exploded. They started putting up video game points. They started to put up Oregon like points but doing it with a mix of finesse and power. Did so with a defense who was playing good football. Can they beat Alabama? I don't know. I do know that they have one of the better OLines in the country and a QB who can make up for any or their mistakes.

As for a playoff, 8 is fine for me. You will have a hard time convincing me that a team ranked outside of the top 8 didn't get their chance and then some to make the playoff. Most good, deserving 1 loss teams are going to be in the top 8.

bucksfan, I think b/w Braxton's playmaking ability, Hyde's straight away power and vision and the offensive line's block that OSU can score on any defense in the country (maybe not XBox like numbers they put up against Penn State & Purdue, but 20-30 on Bama, FSU, etc..) I think the offense is good enough that they won't get blown out by anyone (unless of course they get all fat and happy like the Troy Smith OSU version and his double daily deal at In & Out Burger however many years ago) So the question to me, can their defense hold?

To judge the team's defense early in the season is unfair. We all assume that the best teams, under the best coaches improve thru the coarse of a season. When you're replacing 6 of your front 7, I'm going to venture that you improve more than the average team as you gain experience. I think the combination of the experience they've gained up front, combined w/ the more aggressive nature they've played in general gives them a defense that "potentially" matches up with the offense. I say potentially because the talent is there, but its too hard to tell if that improvement is some fools gold based upon Penn State & Purdue being the competition. I don't know that Illinois presents much of a threat next week, but Indiana can certainly sling the ball around and will be a decent indicator of just how far they've come. Offensively, OSU should be able to pound the ball, grind away the clock and wear down IU that I can't see IU being a huge threat short of OSU turning the ball over a bunch.

Med, two things that really have surprised me this season are:
    1. How good Hyde has been. He reminds me a lot of Beanie. He runs hard and is very agile. The one thing he lacks is the second burst of speed, he can get run down once he gets past the secondary. Other than that he has been everything OSU fans expected and more.
    2. How good the offense has been. Its not just the playmaking ability of Braxton, but how open the WR's have been. They have been running wild in the secondary. There have been a ton of times lately when Braxton has hit a WR who had no defender in his zip code.

One encouraging thing with the defense has been the half time adjustments. Northwestern played well in the 1st but OSU dominated in the 2nd half. Same thing can be said about Iowa, who came in with an interesting scheme to beat OSU. But they fell apart in the 2nd and Hyde dominated. OSU is getting better each and every week. I am curious to see what they do with Wilson over the next 4 weeks.

I love it, Lou Holtz just called out Mark May for his anti-OSU bias "Mark, you can nitpick all you want, you've been against Ohio State for as long as I've been on this show." Go Lou!!!!!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The thing with FSU is everyone was praising them for destroying Clemson because everyone thought Clemson was really good. People thought Clemson was good and rated them so highly because they beat the Georgia Bulldogs out of the mighty SEC. Turns out Georgia isn't very good at all. With three losses on the year, including one to academic school Vandy, Georgia, whom many picked to win the SEC East, isn't so great after all.

So I don't really think FSU has been that much more impressive than Ohio State. I just think the humans in the media have it out for the Buckeyes and will try and do anything to keep them out.

I mean there are turds like Jesse Palmer who think Stanford is better than OSU. Forget the fact that Stanford lost to an unranked crummy Utah, Palmer's explanation for that was "Stanford wasn't playing Stanford football"....

What???!!!!!!

So whenever a team loses it's just because they weren't playing their style of football?

Oh well, I am still holding out hope that FSU or Bama loses somewhere. And like I said earlier in this thread, if OSU runs the table and doesn't win the BCS NC, I'm still getting an OSU 2013 National Champs shirt.

I mean if a team doesn't lose in two years, and they play in a BCS conference, it's simply BS that they wouldn't be awarded a National Title. What could people say OSU did that warranted them NOT being National Champs?

And yes it was nice seeing Holtz call out Mark May. May has had a grudge against OSU ever since his school got annihilated by the Buckeyes 72-0 in 1996.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 11-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.

The thing with FSU is everyone was praising them for destroying Clemson because everyone thought Clemson was really good. People thought Clemson was good and rated them so highly because they beat the Georgia Bulldogs out of the mighty SEC. Turns out Georgia isn't very good at all. With three losses on the year, including one to academic school Vandy, Georgia, whom many picked to win the SEC East, isn't so great after all.

So I don't really think FSU has been that much more impressive than Ohio State. I just think the humans in the media have it out for the Buckeyes and will try and do anything to keep them out.

I mean there are turds like Jesse Palmer who think Stanford is better than OSU. Forget the fact that Stanford lost to an unranked crummy Utah, Palmer's explanation for that was "Stanford wasn't playing Stanford football"....

What???!!!!!!

So whenever a team loses it's just because they weren't playing their style of football?

Oh well, I am still holding out hope that FSU or Bama loses somewhere. And like I said earlier in this thread, if OSU runs the table and doesn't win the BCS NC, I'm still getting an OSU 2013 National Champs shirt.

I mean if a team doesn't lose in two years, and they play in a BCS conference, it's simply BS that they wouldn't be awarded a National Title. What could people say OSU did that warranted them NOT being National Champs?

And yes it was nice seeing Holtz call out Mark May. May has had a grudge against OSU ever since his school got annihilated by the Buckeyes 72-0 in 1996.
    Clemson beat Georgia before Georgia lost half of their starters to injury. Personally, I don't think OSU really wants any part of Clemson on a neutral field.

Clemson beat Georgia before Georgia lost half of their starters to injury. Personally, I don't think OSU really wants any part of Clemson on a neutral field.
    Just proving Red Buckeye's point. There is always some rationilization. Well, how about the ACC is as weak or weaker than the Big 10, but because of human nature bandwagon tendencies, FSU is the flavor of the year. Last week was Alabama's first real test, they won, but by no means easily. About the equivalent of OSU vs. Wisconsin. There is not much depth in any conference, but the party line is "Ohio State can't be taken seriously because of a weak Big 10. And the more times its said on ESPN, the more true it is apparently.

And Ohio State is left to try to run up the score to impress someone, which is not going to happen anyhow. It is clear that they will get no respect because we all know that the mighty SEC is college football.

16. Likes:

jimbo (11-17-2013)

BTW, it is the fault of the money grubbing NCAA that the "best" team is determined mostly by talk and evaluating blowouts and mincing things like "well, this team was at full strength when they beat them"
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-16-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Clemson has not been impressive this year outside of the first game. Winning close against NC State, Boston College, and Maryland. Clemson is good, but they were clearly overrated at #3.

Turn Off Ads?