Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Their other road opponent is 0-8 in the Pac-12.
    and 1-10 overall. Cali is just awful. I think the whole setting the schedule 3-4 years in advance needs to change. A craptastic team like Cal should not be on the schedule.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    and 1-10 overall. Cali is just awful. I think the whole setting the schedule 3-4 years in advance needs to change. A craptastic team like Cal should not be on the schedule.
    I always wondered the rationale for this. You always hear that teams need time to plan and all the logistics, which I'm sure have some merit. But then you have Cincinnati and Miami scheduling a home and home for next year and Vanderbilt dropping OSU 8 months before the season. Just seems like it could be kept tighter to keep the craptastic teams of the world off the schedule.

I think you'll see more and more teams signing contracts much closer to the date of the contracts.

Signing teams more than 3 years in advance is partially a self fulfilling prophecy. If everyone is signing games 4 years from today, you don't want to be left holding the bag and having to fill the schedule with four teams from the Sun Belt conference.

I think as more teams do what Vandy did, you'll see more
    "holes" opening up and teams filling closer to one or two years in advance.

Of course when the B1G goes to 9 games, it will cut down on the number of out of conference games anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Hopefully we're done with the realignment stuff for awhile. A number of good non-conference games were cancelled over the last few years due to teams needing to redraw schedules. It's hard to whip together a quality home-and-home series on short notice, and that leaves lesser opponents that won't demand a return trip.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

It didn't end up mattering because Louisville blew a 28-7 lead and lost to UCF, but Ohio State and Louisville beat FAMU and FIU by 70 points each on the same day. It seems to me that they should have figured out a way to get FAMU and FIU to play each other while Louisville and Ohio State played instead. If both teams were sitting 12-0 (13-0 in Ohio State's case) and on the outside looking in to the BCS title game, it would have been pretty silly given that scheduling opportunity.

It didn't end up mattering because Louisville blew a 28-7 lead and lost to UCF, but Ohio State and Louisville beat FAMU and FIU by 70 points each on the same day. It seems to me that they should have figured out a way to get FAMU and FIU to play each other while Louisville and Ohio State played instead. If both teams were sitting 12-0 (13-0 in Ohio State's case) and on the outside looking in to the BCS title game, it would have been pretty silly given that scheduling opportunity.
    There was some talk not too long ago about Ohio State and Louisville playing each other, Louisville wanted it to be a home and home series and the Buckeyes don't want to play an away game at a second tier school like Louisville.

And before anyone points out the obvious that Louisville is better than Cal, they didn't just play Cal for the game alone.

They also wanted to play a game in California to help recruiting. Obviously California has better football players than Kentucky.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    and the Buckeyes don't want to play an away game at a second tier school like Louisville.
    Gotta love OSU fans

Gotta love OSU fans
    Is Louisville not a 2nd Tier program? I don't really see that as a put down. I think Louisville fans would probably say the same thing. They have gone through several coaching changes and have been solid but inconsistent. They are a great program and I would love for OSU to play that game, but I think even their most die hard fans would say they are probably a notch below OSU, Texas, Alabama, LSU, etc.

Since 2003 they have gone:
    9-4
    11-1
    9-3
    12-1
    6-6
    5-7
    4-8
    7-6
    7-6
    11-2

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    And before anyone points out the obvious that Louisville is better than Cal, they didn't just play Cal for the game alone.

They also wanted to play a game in California to help recruiting. Obviously California has better football players than Kentucky.
    You can also add appeasing alumni to the list. There are a lot of OSU fans in California and a bunch of them invaded Berkeley that day.

Gotta love OSU fans
    I agree
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

That was one cold game.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Is Louisville not a 2nd Tier program? I don't really see that as a put down. I think Louisville fans would probably say the same thing. They have gone through several coaching changes and have been solid but inconsistent. They are a great program and I would love for OSU to play that game, but I think even their most die hard fans would say they are probably a notch below OSU, Texas, Alabama, LSU, etc.

Since 2003 they have gone:
    9-4
    11-1
    9-3
    12-1
    6-6
    5-7
    4-8
    7-6
    7-6
    11-2
    Well, at least they aren't heading to a second tier conference like the Big 10. I mean there really shouldn't be an argument on that one. One outright National Championship since Nixon was in office? Even lowly BYU can match that track record.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Well, at least they aren't heading to a second tier conference like the Big 10. I mean there really shouldn't be an argument on that one. One outright National Championship since Nixon was in office? Even lowly BYU can match that track record.
    Good point. I guess you can take your ball and go home now.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2013),jimbo (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Of course, you had to use "outright" to make your argument work the way you wanted it to. So you're saying that Louisville football has any historical signficance as a "first tier" program, whatever that means? I'd say they are in football mediocrity, an also ran, a few weak schedule above average teams, etc.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

And then there were three. Who's next? I'm guessing Bama falls to Auburn.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?