Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 917

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

  1. #436
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Of course, you had to use "outright" to make your argument work the way you wanted it to. So you're saying that Louisville football has any historical signficance as a "first tier" program, whatever that means? I'd say they are in football mediocrity, an also ran, a few weak schedule above average teams, etc.
    I also like how he says "lowly BYU"even though BYU is at worst at the same level as Louisville and I would argue historically more significant.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #437
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Of course, you had to use "outright" to make your argument work the way you wanted it to. So you're saying that Louisville football has any historical signficance as a "first tier" program, whatever that means? I'd say they are in football mediocrity, an also ran, a few weak schedule above average teams, etc.
    Go ahead and throw in shared titles: the picture isn't any rosier. And just for the record, I can't stand UL. But for Ohio State fans to rank their program amongst the first tier programs when Big Ten national championships are less frequent than cicada invasions is pure comedy gold. Of course, its indicative of the arrogance some (but certainly not most) Ohio State fans lovingly embrace. Don't worry though, this alarming trend of conference mediocrity will end soon: Rutgers and Maryland will soon be here to save the day. Look out SEC!
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  4. #438
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I also like how he says "lowly BYU"even though BYU is at worst at the same level as Louisville and I would argue historically more significant.
    Only trying to describe BYU according to your world view. You know, the one that ranks Ohio State first, then everyone else.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  5. #439
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Is it really controversial to say Ohio State is a first tier program? I wouldn't have thought so.

    I think you have to care way too much about conference affiliations to say something like that.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  6. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (11-25-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (11-24-2013), Revering4Blue (11-24-2013), RiverRat13 (11-24-2013), traderumor (11-24-2013)

  7. #440
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,606

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Go ahead and throw in shared titles: the picture isn't any rosier. And just for the record, I can't stand UL. But for Ohio State fans to rank their program amongst the first tier programs when Big Ten national championships are less frequent than cicada invasions is pure comedy gold. Of course, its indicative of the arrogance some (but certainly not most) Ohio State fans lovingly embrace. Don't worry though, this alarming trend of conference mediocrity will end soon: Rutgers and Maryland will soon be here to save the day. Look out SEC!
    You beg the question regarding counting NC's for a "first-tier" program designation. It looks like you might think that the SEC represents "first-tier" and everyone else is at another level.

    It would also seem to me that there is a distinct difference in the football history at OSU vs. Louisville that warrants the original poster's point. They really are two different levels of programs. You may find that distasteful, and I'll give you that its more balanced than it used to be, but Louisville would not be a marquee match up. It just isn't.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  8. #441
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,126

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Go ahead and throw in shared titles: the picture isn't any rosier. And just for the record, I can't stand UL. But for Ohio State fans to rank their program amongst the first tier programs when Big Ten national championships are less frequent than cicada invasions is pure comedy gold. Of course, its indicative of the arrogance some (but certainly not most) Ohio State fans lovingly embrace. Don't worry though, this alarming trend of conference mediocrity will end soon: Rutgers and Maryland will soon be here to save the day. Look out SEC!
    The Big Ten gets to claim Nebraska and Penn State, if you are setting parameters. Changes your narrative some.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  9. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (11-24-2013)

  10. #442
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,126

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Historical Top Tier Programs in no order
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Nebraska
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU
    Florida State
    Miami
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Notre Dame
    The Pac 10 typically has a strong 2nd team that includes the Oregons, UCLAs, Stanfords etc. But they rise and fall more often.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  11. #443
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Historical Top Tier Programs in no order
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Nebraska
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU
    Florida State
    Miami
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Notre Dame
    The Pac 10 typically has a strong 2nd team that includes the Oregons, UCLAs, Stanfords etc. But they rise and fall more often.
    There is no way you could include LSU without Georgia, Auburn and Florida. Frankly any such list without Auburn simply doesn't understand college football outside of their region.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. Likes:

    wolfboy (11-25-2013)

  13. #444
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,061

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    JMO, but I wouldn't put Louisville in the top tier of Div 1 college *programs*. Just like I wouldn't put UC or Rutgers in it either. Any team out of the Big East just doesn't have the cachet yet.

    Louisville is on their way, but they need to get in the ACC and kick some butt there for a while. They need a tradition of football and they just haven't had a top 20 team for that long.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  14. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (11-24-2013)

  15. #445
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,606

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is no way you could include LSU without Georgia, Auburn and Florida. Frankly any such list without Auburn simply doesn't understand college football outside of their region.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Auburn "top tier" prior to Bo Jackson is certainly arguable, outside of one who isn't understanding college football as a fan of that team.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  16. #446
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Auburn "top tier" prior to Bo Jackson is certainly arguable, outside of one who isn't understanding college football as a fan of that team.
    Actually, it's facts meet reality.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  17. #447
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,126

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Actually, it's facts meet reality.
    I didn't really mean to omit Auburn, it was more of a if I put Auburn there do I have to put Georgia, and if I have to put Georgia that means, I have to include Texas A&M. Those three schools easily make the end of that list. Wisconsin is probably behind that. But I think there is a substantial break between those three SEC schools and Wisconsin.

    No slight intended.

    I think it is pretty clear that the list of big boy, top tier, programs ends right there.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  18. #448
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I didn't really mean to omit Auburn, it was more of a if I put Auburn there do I have to put Georgia, and if I have to put Georgia that means, I have to include Texas A&M. Those three schools easily make the end of that list. Wisconsin is probably behind that. But I think there is a substantial break between those three SEC schools and Wisconsin.

    No slight intended.

    I think it is pretty clear that the list of big boy, top tier, programs ends right there.
    You gotta draw the line somewhere and you'll always get arguments from someone. I think you did just fine...

  19. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (11-25-2013), Revering4Blue (11-24-2013), traderumor (11-25-2013)

  20. #449
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    I haven't read back the last couple of pages, but is there really an argument if OSU is a first tier college football program? Really? No matter how you slice it, OSU is one of the strongest programs in the country, historically, post 1950s, post turn of the century, etc... To argue otherwise is just silly.

  21. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (11-25-2013), RedTeamGo! (11-25-2013), traderumor (11-25-2013)

  22. #450
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Ohio State Football 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I haven't read back the last couple of pages, but is there really an argument if OSU is a first tier college football program? Really? No matter how you slice it, OSU is one of the strongest programs in the country, historically, post 1950s, post turn of the century, etc... To argue otherwise is just silly.
    Just to be clear, I agree with you 100%. The problem lies with the Big Ten. Not OSU


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25