Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Of course, you had to use "outright" to make your argument work the way you wanted it to. So you're saying that Louisville football has any historical signficance as a "first tier" program, whatever that means? I'd say they are in football mediocrity, an also ran, a few weak schedule above average teams, etc.
    I also like how he says "lowly BYU"even though BYU is at worst at the same level as Louisville and I would argue historically more significant.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Of course, you had to use "outright" to make your argument work the way you wanted it to. So you're saying that Louisville football has any historical signficance as a "first tier" program, whatever that means? I'd say they are in football mediocrity, an also ran, a few weak schedule above average teams, etc.
    Go ahead and throw in shared titles: the picture isn't any rosier. And just for the record, I can't stand UL. But for Ohio State fans to rank their program amongst the first tier programs when Big Ten national championships are less frequent than cicada invasions is pure comedy gold. Of course, its indicative of the arrogance some (but certainly not most) Ohio State fans lovingly embrace. Don't worry though, this alarming trend of conference mediocrity will end soon: Rutgers and Maryland will soon be here to save the day. Look out SEC!
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I also like how he says "lowly BYU"even though BYU is at worst at the same level as Louisville and I would argue historically more significant.
    Only trying to describe BYU according to your world view. You know, the one that ranks Ohio State first, then everyone else.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Is it really controversial to say Ohio State is a first tier program? I wouldn't have thought so.

I think you have to care way too much about conference affiliations to say something like that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (11-24-2013),Revering4Blue (11-24-2013),RiverRat13 (11-24-2013),traderumor (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Go ahead and throw in shared titles: the picture isn't any rosier. And just for the record, I can't stand UL. But for Ohio State fans to rank their program amongst the first tier programs when Big Ten national championships are less frequent than cicada invasions is pure comedy gold. Of course, its indicative of the arrogance some (but certainly not most) Ohio State fans lovingly embrace. Don't worry though, this alarming trend of conference mediocrity will end soon: Rutgers and Maryland will soon be here to save the day. Look out SEC!
    You beg the question regarding counting NC's for a "first-tier" program designation. It looks like you might think that the SEC represents "first-tier" and everyone else is at another level.

It would also seem to me that there is a distinct difference in the football history at OSU vs. Louisville that warrants the original poster's point. They really are two different levels of programs. You may find that distasteful, and I'll give you that its more balanced than it used to be, but Louisville would not be a marquee match up. It just isn't.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The Big Ten gets to claim Nebraska and Penn State, if you are setting parameters. Changes your narrative some.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-24-2013)

Historical Top Tier Programs in no order
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Nebraska
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU
    Florida State
    Miami
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Notre Dame
    The Pac 10 typically has a strong 2nd team that includes the Oregons, UCLAs, Stanfords etc. But they rise and fall more often.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Historical Top Tier Programs in no order
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Nebraska
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU
    Florida State
    Miami
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Notre Dame
    The Pac 10 typically has a strong 2nd team that includes the Oregons, UCLAs, Stanfords etc. But they rise and fall more often.
    There is no way you could include LSU without Georgia, Auburn and Florida. Frankly any such list without Auburn simply doesn't understand college football outside of their region.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

12. Likes:

wolfboy (11-25-2013)

JMO, but I wouldn't put Louisville in the top tier of Div 1 college *programs*. Just like I wouldn't put UC or Rutgers in it either. Any team out of the Big East just doesn't have the cachet yet.

Louisville is on their way, but they need to get in the ACC and kick some butt there for a while. They need a tradition of football and they just haven't had a top 20 team for that long.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is no way you could include LSU without Georgia, Auburn and Florida. Frankly any such list without Auburn simply doesn't understand college football outside of their region.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Auburn "top tier" prior to Bo Jackson is certainly arguable, outside of one who isn't understanding college football as a fan of that team.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Pot, meet kettle.
    Auburn "top tier" prior to Bo Jackson is certainly arguable, outside of one who isn't understanding college football as a fan of that team.
    Actually, it's facts meet reality.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Actually, it's facts meet reality.
    I didn't really mean to omit Auburn, it was more of a if I put Auburn there do I have to put Georgia, and if I have to put Georgia that means, I have to include Texas A&M. Those three schools easily make the end of that list. Wisconsin is probably behind that. But I think there is a substantial break between those three SEC schools and Wisconsin.

No slight intended.

I think it is pretty clear that the list of big boy, top tier, programs ends right there.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I didn't really mean to omit Auburn, it was more of a if I put Auburn there do I have to put Georgia, and if I have to put Georgia that means, I have to include Texas A&M. Those three schools easily make the end of that list. Wisconsin is probably behind that. But I think there is a substantial break between those three SEC schools and Wisconsin.

No slight intended.

I think it is pretty clear that the list of big boy, top tier, programs ends right there.
    You gotta draw the line somewhere and you'll always get arguments from someone. I think you did just fine...

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2013),Revering4Blue (11-24-2013),traderumor (11-25-2013)

I haven't read back the last couple of pages, but is there really an argument if OSU is a first tier college football program? Really? No matter how you slice it, OSU is one of the strongest programs in the country, historically, post 1950s, post turn of the century, etc... To argue otherwise is just silly.

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-25-2013),RedTeamGo! (11-25-2013),traderumor (11-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I haven't read back the last couple of pages, but is there really an argument if OSU is a first tier college football program? Really? No matter how you slice it, OSU is one of the strongest programs in the country, historically, post 1950s, post turn of the century, etc... To argue otherwise is just silly.
    Just to be clear, I agree with you 100%. The problem lies with the Big Ten. Not OSU

Turn Off Ads?