Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I'm sorry you don't like to read what I'm typing. But it's been a very long time since the B1G, or any program in it, has dominated college football. Fifteen years at best if you insist on counting Nebraska's pre-B1G titles. Much, much longer if you don't. Some (but not most) Ohio State fans are all too quick to point out the chinks in everyone else's armor, while blissfully ignoring their own. If I'm a troll for calling that out, then so be it. I won't belabor the point though - no more posts on the subject from me.
    Ohio State won a NC in 2002 and made it to the title game in consecutive years thereafter. They are on a 23 game winning streak and ranked #3 in the country. They were consistently a top 5 or 10 team during the Tressel era. They also have an above average track record in the BCS. I'm not sure what you mean by "dominating college football." Maybe you reserve that for the team doing what Miami did before OSU ended their run, or USC after that, or Alabama now. If that is what you mean, I'd say you are overly narrowly defining "dominating college football."

So, I don't think the objection is due to "the truth hurts," but that your point is nonsense.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-26-2013),medford (11-26-2013),Revering4Blue (11-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Ohio State won a NC in 2002 and made it to the title game in consecutive years thereafter. They are on a 23 game winning streak and ranked #3 in the country. They were consistently a top 5 or 10 team during the Tressel era. They also have an above average track record in the BCS. I'm not sure what you mean by "dominating college football." Maybe you reserve that for the team doing what Miami did before OSU ended their run, or USC after that, or Alabama now. If that is what you mean, I'd say you are overly narrowly defining "dominating college football."
    You'd get no argument from me if you were to say that Ohio State has dominated college football as of late but that doesn't mean the Big Ten has. In fact OSU has been the exception to the Big Ten rather than the rule. Further an argument could be made that OSU benefitted from playing in a weak conference.

This bares being said because it cuts to the heart of the point that has been debated.... OSU hasn't dominated college football. It has dominated a weak Big 10 during the last two seasons. And as for this notion that 23 in a row is justification for special consideration by voters, that's 23 games in a row without playing a top 15 opponent or playing what shouldve been the toughest two games of their season last year, i.e. a conference championship game and a bowl game.

Is that an argument that OSU stinks? No. I think they are a good team. But all things considered, they have the kind of resume that really should leave them on the outside looking in.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

6. Likes:

wolfboy (11-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This bares being said because it cuts to the heart of the point that has been debated.... OSU hasn't dominated college football. It has dominated a weak Big 10 during the last two seasons. And as for this notion that 23 in a row is justification for special consideration by voters, that's 23 games in a row without playing a top 15 opponent or playing what shouldve been the toughest two games of their season last year, i.e. a conference championship game and a bowl game.

Is that an argument that OSU stinks? No. I think they are a good team. But all things considered, they have the kind of resume that really should leave them on the outside looking in.
    So if South Carolina beats Clemson and possibly knocks them out of the top 15 leaving Florida St without a win against a Top 15 team I assume you will think their resume would have them on the outside looking in?

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2013),HeatherC1212 (11-26-2013),OldRightHander (11-26-2013),Revering4Blue (11-26-2013)

So let's say Alabama, FSU, and OSU all finish undefeated. For arguments sake they are the only 3 contenders for the BCS title game.

And assume OSU has a higher SOS than FSU.

What is the argument for putting FSU in over OSU? This is not a trick question. Frankly, "the eyeball test" is fine with me. I'm just wondering what others think.

"So Fla Red"

Florida State was the dominant college program in the 90's with only Nebraska in the discussion with 3 NCs. An incredible run of top 5 finishes year after year for FSU and making a complete mockery of the ACC year after year. We forget how irrelaevent FSU from 2001-2011 during the Bowden decline losing four games nine times in eleven seasons. Incredible considering how poor the ACC is as a football conference. 3-13 in BCS games (3 wins over Northern Ill, Cincinnati and FSU's 1999 championship over current ACC member Va Tech...)

I would argue OSU was the most consistent BCS program from 2001-2011 with a 6-3 BCS record (and none of those BCS games or wins was a cheapie).

FSU 2001-2012
    2001: 8-4
    2002: 9-5
    2003: 10-3
    2004: 9-3
    2005: 8-5
    2006: 7-6
    2007: 7-6
    2008: 9-4
    2009: 7-6
    2010: 10-4
    2011: 9-4
    2012: 11-2 (Won Orange Bowl over Northern Illinois)

2-5 in BCS games. One BCS victory since 1999 BCS Championship and that was over Northern Illinois in last year's Orange Bowl. Highest final ranking from 2001-2011 was #11 in 2003

FSU 2013 passes the eyeball test, always has great talent and Winston is a phenom, but the voters are clearly living in a 1990s, Bobby Bowden time warp. The odd thing is FSU had 10,000 empty seats in their last ACC home game against Syracuse. They rarely if ever sell out unless Florida or Miami comes to town. They are more a national power than a local draw.

The B1G is certainly down the last few years with Michigan, Nebraska and PSU making themselves largely irrelevant on the national scene, but the ACC continues to be simply terrible as a whole year after year.

Make the argument FSU deserves #2 based on the eyeball test, but anyone using FSU's 2013 schedule or ACC vs. B1G conference superiority for putting FSU ahead of OSU is making a foolish and uninformed argument.
    Last edited by oregonred; 11-26-2013 at 12:58 AM.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-26-2013),HeatherC1212 (11-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So if South Carolina beats Clemson and possibly knocks them out of the top 15 leaving Florida St without a win against a Top 15 team I assume you will think their resume would have them on the outside looking in?
    I'm saying if they were left on the outside looking in because a team with better wins leaped them, their fan base wouldn't really have a compelling vetch.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So let's say Alabama, FSU, and OSU all finish undefeated. For arguments sake they are the only 3 contenders for the BCS title game.

And assume OSU has a higher SOS than FSU.

What is the argument for putting FSU in over OSU? This is not a trick question. Frankly, "the eyeball test" is fine with me. I'm just wondering what others think.
    It would come down to the subjective polls.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The perception of the ACC is that it is a stronger conference than the B1G. FSU's sole good win is against Clemson. Clemson to date has yet to beat a top 25 team.

Don't get me wrong, OSU's schedule has been laughable down the stretch. The stretch of Purdue, Illinois, and Indiana is as week as it gets in a BCS conference. However there is nothing they can do about that. I tend to believe that wins over Wisconsin and perhaps Michigan State will trump anything FSU did. I am starting to think that if OSU had last year's schedule it would have made an even stronger argument with Nebraska and MSU on the regular season schedule.

FSU's schedule boost one better win than OSU now, a Clemson win. If Clemson loses to SC and OSU runs the table IMO they will boost the better win, a win over a one loss MSU.

Right now this whole business, in the end, still largely comes down to a completely subjective process. It's silly because its so avoidable.

16. Likes:

wolfboy (11-26-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Right now this whole business, in the end, still largely comes down to a completely subjective process. It's silly because its so avoidable.
    Just think how crazy it would be if there was a 4-team playoff this year and we had a scramble between Auburn, OKie State, Mizzou, Clemson, et al. for the final slot.

Not sure how Clemson became the gold standard for FSU since they haven't beaten a BCS top 25 team this season. They have one ACC title since 1991 (2011) and They've been to one meaningful bowl since 1981 (2011 Orange Bowl) and were humiliated 70-33 by West Virginia. And honestly WVU could have scored 90 in that game if they wanted too.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Just think how crazy it would be if there was a 4-team playoff this year and we had a scramble between Auburn, OKie State, Mizzou, Clemson, et al. for the final slot.

Not sure how Clemson became the gold standard for FSU since they haven't beaten a BCS top 25 team this season. They have one ACC title since 1991 (2011) and They've been to one meaningful bowl since 1981 (2011 Orange Bowl) and were humiliated 70-33 by West Virginia. And honestly WVU could have scored 90 in that game if they wanted too.
    Clemson is sexy and they have a magical rock on a hill.

I think last season, all bets would've been off if Texas A&M would've been given a shot in a playoff. I remember a few years ago there was a Wisconsin team that no one would've wanted to play in a championhip game but they had no viable roadmap.

The time to change things is well past IMHO.

I personally would like to see the playoff format be expanded to 16 teams. There has been a discussion about whether OSU is a top tier program in this thread. OSU would probably be in that 16 team pool 7 times out of 10 (obviously assuming the mechanism that selects the 16 doesn't arbitrarily give spots to teams Northern Illinois just because). That probably meets the definition of first tier for most people.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

I must say you OSU fans make a very good argument. I would add that if Auburn should upset Alabama this weekend that they should get one of those spots even though they've taken a loss.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Basically, college football is figure skating, except that people hit each other.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-27-2013),Revering4Blue (11-26-2013),Roy Tucker (11-26-2013)

I would still love to see a regular season schedule of 10 or 11 games (for conferences with no Divisional divide/conference championship game). Take the winner of each of the 7 major conferences (AAC, ACC, B10, B12, MAC, P12, SEC) and give them an automatic berth. Then have a committee select 9 at large teams and rank all 16 teams 1-16 and pair them off. Play first round games at the home of the higher ranked team. Play the remaining 7 games at various neutral big bowl sites. Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Orange can rotate for the semi-finals and championship game each year like they kinda do now. Let 3 other major sites each year host the quarter finals along with the leftover BCS location(Cotton, Chik-fil-A, Gator, Outback, Alamo, etc), hell they can have bidding wars for them, so that "bowl integrity" still remains along with the spoils.

Such a system would not extend the season far (1 extra games max for a team that runs the table compared to now). Also, there would be more importance to late season games as they fight for a spot, while simultaneously one loss would not be a death notice. They do similar things for high school football, and all other NCAA divisions, and all other NCAA sports, why can't FBS get with the program?

FWIW here's how I'd have this years tournament laid out:

16 at 1: UCF (AAC Champ) at Alabama (SEC Champ)
    15 at 2: Fresno State (at large) at Florida State (ACC Champ)
    14 at 3: NIU (MAC Champ) at Ohio State (B10 Champ)
    13 at 4: Wisconsin (at Large) at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champion)
    12 at 5: Clemson (at Large) at Auburn (at Large)
    11 at 6: Michigan State (at Large) at Arizona State (P12 Champ)
    10 at 7: Stanford (at Large) at Missouri (at Large)
    9 at 8: Baylor (at Large) at South Carolina (at Large)

obviously there's 2 important weeks to go that could/will shake things up.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Turn Off Ads?