Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Then for you it'd be who's ever in the top ten at the time of your discussion
    What is it for you? Or do you allow more than 10 teams to qualify?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I would still love to see a regular season schedule of 10 or 11 games (for conferences with no Divisional divide/conference championship game). Take the winner of each of the 7 major conferences (AAC, ACC, B10, B12, MAC, P12, SEC) and give them an automatic berth. Then have a committee select 9 at large teams and rank all 16 teams 1-16 and pair them off. Play first round games at the home of the higher ranked team. Play the remaining 7 games at various neutral big bowl sites. Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Orange can rotate for the semi-finals and championship game each year like they kinda do now. Let 3 other major sites each year host the quarter finals along with the leftover BCS location(Cotton, Chik-fil-A, Gator, Outback, Alamo, etc), hell they can have bidding wars for them, so that "bowl integrity" still remains along with the spoils.

Such a system would not extend the season far (1 extra games max for a team that runs the table compared to now). Also, there would be more importance to late season games as they fight for a spot, while simultaneously one loss would not be a death notice. They do similar things for high school football, and all other NCAA divisions, and all other NCAA sports, why can't FBS get with the program?

FWIW here's how I'd have this years tournament laid out:

16 at 1: UCF (AAC Champ) at Alabama (SEC Champ)
    15 at 2: Fresno State (at large) at Florida State (ACC Champ)
    14 at 3: NIU (MAC Champ) at Ohio State (B10 Champ)
    13 at 4: Wisconsin (at Large) at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champion)
    12 at 5: Clemson (at Large) at Auburn (at Large)
    11 at 6: Michigan State (at Large) at Arizona State (P12 Champ)
    10 at 7: Stanford (at Large) at Missouri (at Large)
    9 at 8: Baylor (at Large) at South Carolina (at Large)

obviously there's 2 important weeks to go that could/will shake things up.
    I think Oregon still deserves a slot. They're as deserving, IMO, as most of your bottom 8 seeds, and more deserving than at least half of them. I just wish the playoff system started this year. You couldn't have a better season for it than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I always supported an 8 team playoff--5 or 6 auto-bids from conference champions, and 2 or 3 at large teams. Then play the first round the week after the conference championships at the home field of the 4 best seeded teams. The 4 losers can then get normal bowl bids. (Maybe you set aside bowls for them so that other bowls can still be played in early December, which is necessary for some reason.) The semi-final games can then be played as separate games or as part of the current BCS bowls on a rotating basis. Then you play a championship game a week later.

You preserve the traditional bowl games. 4 teams play 1 extra game, 2 play 2 extra games, and 2 play 3 extra games so the burden on the players is minimal. I don't see why this is so complicated.
    I don't like conference affiliation automatic bids to a playoff. Give me the best 8 teams in the country using a hybrid of the current BCS model and go from there. I would limit it to a maxim of 3 team per conference and wouldn't feel bad if any major conference champ was left out. Using the current automatic BCS bids a AAC team is going to get a BCS bowl bid. Do they really deserve to kick one of the better teams out of a playoff?

I would also tweak the system a little bit. I would give each team one more regular season game but do away with the conference title games. What started as a money grab continue to be a money grab that all too often fail to deliver. I would add a 13th game because of the economics of college football, big programs need the revenue, by adding one more game it would give them another chance to sign a home and home series with another power team. I would limit playing FCS teams to once every 3 years (those games are necessary because the FCS teams need the payday) and try and curb teams playing cupcakes in week 12 of the regular season.

@SeaRay
    I want to know the quality of team beaten. For example look at this season Miami was ranked 7th at the time they played FSU. Any football fan knew that was an inflated rating and when FSU was a two TD+ favorite they knew that wasn't indicative of the ranking. The same Miami team that was ranked 7th has now fallen out of the rankings with a loss to football powerhouse Duke. At the same time OSU played a very good Wisconsin early in the season who had a high 20's ranking. As the season has played out people realized how good that Wisconsin team is. What is a better win in your opinion, Miami or Wisconsin? When rankings are subjectively set early in the season, teams are over ranked and under ranked and it takes time to play out. You shouldn't get credit for beating a bad team that was poorly ranked. Florida was ranked 10th to start the season, should you get credit for beating a Florida team that won't make a bowl and lost to Georgia Southern?

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-27-2013)

It's kinda inevitable that a team will drop in the polls after you beat them. If Alabama beats Auburn, they should get credit for beating a top 10 team even if the Tigers are not a top ten team a week from now
    I do not agree with that logic, although I understand that is the way the polls work since they are weekly. They are sort of like once a week sex, at least its regular, even if its not necessarily any good.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What is it for you? Or do you allow more than 10 teams to qualify?
    For me it'd be teams at the time of the conversation but I'd have several different lists; a top ten, top 20 and top 50 knowing that top there'd be very few wins against top ten teams due to the nature of the beast. Doing it this way eliminates counting teams like NW as a top 20 team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Florida was ranked 10th to start the season, should you get credit for beating a Florida team that won't make a bowl and lost to Georgia Southern?
    Florida's complicated. The Gator team of today in no way resembles the Gator team of September

Florida's complicated. The Gator team of today in no way resembles the Gator team of September
    They were overrated at #10 either way. It's hard to imagine they would have lost to Georgia Southern in September, though.

Hey everyone - instead of talking about the SEC and FSU, let us not forget THE GAME is this weekend.

GO BUCKEYES!!!

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-28-2013),Gunner44 (11-28-2013)

It's kinda inevitable that a team will drop in the polls after you beat them. If Alabama beats Auburn, they should get credit for beating a top 10 team even if the Tigers are not a top ten team a week from now
    For me it'd be teams at the time of the conversation but I'd have several different lists; a top ten, top 20 and top 50 knowing that top there'd be very few wins against top ten teams due to the nature of the beast. Doing it this way eliminates counting teams like NW as a top 20 team.
    I'm all for your second quote there. But it doesn't really agree with your first quote, which is what I take issue with.

We could go in circles with examples, but to me the issue is saying a team beat a top-10 team X times this year is way too vague.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm all for your second quote there. But it doesn't really agree with your first quote, which is what I take issue with.

We could go in circles with examples, but to me the issue is saying a team beat a top-10 team X times this year is way too vague.
    You make a good point. That wasn't clear at all from me. I don't know of anyone that keeps track of where a team is week to week so really the only way to say top 10, 20 or whatever is to judge it in the here and now. I don't think anyone's saying that OSU beat a top 20 team because they beat NW.

Let's Go Buckeyes!
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Go Bucks !!!

(and go War Eagle)
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

There just went a bunch of free car dreams down the drain......

Great game so far. A combined 35 points in 15½ minutes. I don't have a dog in this hunt, so it's nice to just sit back and enjoy a rivalry match-up like this one. It appears the defenses are taking that same approach.

P.S. -- Marcus Hall probably won't be getting any Christmas cards from Michigan fans.

Turn Off Ads?